Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:38 Post subject: [ASUS RT-AC56U] Samba - Folders are not showing up on macOS
I have an ASUS RT-AC56U running DD-WRT v3.0-r43397 std (06/13/20) for a week without any restart/problem, but I noticed some problems with built-in samba.
1st: I connected to my shared folder on macOS and noticed that lots of my folders/files are disappered (they're there, but I cannot see them, neither in Finder, nor in Commander One with hidden files enabled). On Windows it's good, I can access all of my files on that shared folder.
2nd: The smb transfer speed is really slow, about 5-6 MB/s on Wifi, and sometimes it's get stucked and the router reboots itself.
On the stock ASUS fw I had speed around 24-26 MB/s on WiFi and smb. The FTP speed is good 23-24 MB/s (again on Wifi) so it's good.
The External drive is a 1 TB HDD formatted as ext4, plugged into the USB 3.0 port of the router.
I configured through GUI, attaching pictures.
As you can see, there are a lots of folders/files are missing on "smb_macos.png", and these files are showing up on Windows "smb_win.png".
Any help appreciated!
The system is macOS Catalina 10.15.5, Windows 10 v1809
But now the smb speed seems okay on Windows (~16-20 MB/s) with this release
Also my folders/files are showing up when using ForkLift 2 (not working in 3), but they're showing up without any attributes (folders are also showing up as zero kb files), sometimes I can access them and browse all my files, sometimes I can't so it's a bit buggy, but at least something, but they're ONLY showing up in ForkLift 2.
Seems like it's a permission or attribute problem with my data on the HDD. I'll backup my files and will reformat the HDD as EXT3 to see if it will resolve my issue or not.
Yesterday I backed up all of my data, reformatted the whole drive in GPT with 4 partitions:
1.: 64 MB ext3 for /opt
2.: 256 MB linux-swap
3.: All free space for data, ext3 /mnt/sda3
4.: 64 MB ext3 for /jffs
I don't know why but the 3rd partition (sda3) is showing up as EXT4 in DD-WRT GUI however it's formatted as EXT3, and showing up as EXT3 when plugged into my Linux system. Not bothering me just interesting.
And after reformatting I started putting back my data, it's all alright now, I see all of my files on macOS. Maybe it's because I had wrong Partition Table (MBR-MSDOS), or something got corrupted and I lost the files attributes on Mac. Anyway, it's solved now. Hope it'll remain solved, time will show.
Speed is like ~17-24 MB/s now, I'll tweak my 5 GHz channel to achieve 866/866 TX/RX now it's 866/520. I think it'll improve the smb speed a bit.