RT-AC87U DD-WRT support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:06    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC87U, r37305 Reply with quote
So I put this on my new RT-AC87U and it seemd to work ok. However, the access restrictions and QOS are not working. Do I need to turn these on somehow? Are there default options which prevent the use of these? Any help would be great! I have used DDWRT for many years but I get stable distributions, just using the options I need, so I am far from an expert. Also with r37305 it seems to slow down over about 6 hours and needs a reboot. With older distributions I could just leave it on, stable. I have been searching the forums but can't find anything. I just tried to go to r33525 after having to put the asus firmware back on but same issue, no access restrictions. I can't find any options in the forums that turn on or off the nat, which is how the access restrictions work, I guess. I guess QOS too? Any help or suggestions would be great.
Sponsor
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:09    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC87U, r37305 Reply with quote
As a side note, the 5g didn't seem to work and the r37305 would not let me to up or down in update distributions. Yep I tried peakcock reset methodology. In the end, I had to put ASUS back on via recovery. Asus is ok but just doesn't allow the settings in DDWRT I like and really need.
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21    Post subject: QOS, Access Restrictions not working Reply with quote
So I tried to articulate this better. I have tried 2 versions of DD WRT, 37305 and 33525 same problem for this router.

Actually, I have spotty problems with this on another router, completely different DD WRT version, series.

What I have noticed. The number of restrictions and mac addresses per restriction can 'break' the restriction function once you get too many. I am not a code level person so I can't tell more.

On the older router, RT-N66U, ver 26138, I noted that as I added restrictions and macs, they seemed to just stop working at some point. I added these over time and did not put it together until today.

Also on the new router, with 33525, mentioned in this thread, I put one access restriction, one mac id on that to test the firmware I downgraded to. The restriction worked, one rule, one mac. Once I loaded it up with 10 restrictions, max, and 5-10 macs per restriction, it doesn't work.

The mac filter is affected by this too.

I've got about 15 QOS setups too and on the older router, these have grown.

I read that the firewall is used for access restrictions. Is it used for QOS, mac filter too?

Am I just overloading the capabilities of the router or firmware? Seems like firmware to me.

Is there a way to fix this? A code to run to re-establish the firewall, making the restrictions work? I am probably reaching here and stating it incorrectly.

I have read a lot of threads and looked to see what version for my router would work with access restrictions well, I can't find much.

For some other routers, I saw folks stating that more than 2 access restrictions causes it to stop working. Thats when I did a bit of testing that seems to confirm it for my routers.

Any help would be great.
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:49    Post subject: Downgrade Helps Access Restrictions Reply with quote
Ok, tried some things. I have reduced my active access restrictions to about 4. I reduced the IPs using QOS speed control to about 8. I downgraded to 30534. I don't need some of the fancier features or complicated networking features you get in the newer versions. Good news, the access restrictions seem to work ok. Try these things if you have problems with access restrictions. I get to keep my new router! Oh, nobody answers a help ticket if you submit one of those to that linked website.
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:04    Post subject: Downgrade Helps 5G Reply with quote
Ok, just did a speed test. The other advantage to downgrading to 30534 is 5G speed. I just clocked 170mbps. Fastest in the past was about 55 or 60. I did set 5G to AC/N mixed. This is over wifi, not hardwire. Neato!

Running a mb7420 moto modem on xfin....
steve98664
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC87U Downgrade for Access Restrictions Reply with quote
So another observation. I noted that the router runs hot about 80C for the processor, 5ghz at 75C, 2.4ghz at 46C. So, I bumped the default speed for this version from 1000 down to 800mhz. Guess what, access restrictions don't work properly. So, for everything to work right on this router, maybe you have to run it at full frequency of the OEM firmware, 1000mhz. Looking for a skinny laptop fan to put under it. Not so many bottom holes though.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC87U, r30534 Reply with quote
Very Happy

This version has great stability. Use it!

I am getting the best speeds at 2.4 and 5 that I have seen.

After reducing down the access restrictions, individual ones, and individual QOS, they seem to work more reliably.

I set up a daily reboot.

Also, I noted at times the access restrictions or QOS seem to flake, maybe.Go to the access restriction or the QOS page and hit apply settings. Go to the status page and it has an affect. Let me know if that is voodoo silliness. I see a response on the Status page immediately.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
@steve98664 you will actually need fan(s) on the top.
There is nothing to cool on the bottom.Check this out:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6677/asus-rt-ac87u-ac2400-dual-band-wireless-router-review/index2.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issue: all 2019 builds, out of the blue, send the CPU into 100% or worse (I had average stats looking like 7.xx, 7.xx, 7.xx for a long period of time), the culprit being httpd. I tried to identify what could cause that and .. it happened randomly.

Now I'm back @ build 33986 which, with the same configuration as 38xxx, doesnt have a single issue and runs smoothly for my basic needs.

Has anyone else, using builds of 2019, encountered the same issue? is there a fix for it?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to reiterate my prior post from Sept 2018.

All the issues people have posted here with having difficulty with setting channel frequencies and width along with the difficulties of flashing and even having a hard time getting into recovery mode are all common issues with this router and I ran into every single one of them and more. Once you dig deep enough into these forums you start seeing the same issues posted inside other threads on these forums.

It all boils down to this router being quite different due to the mixed chipsets of the antennas (specifically the Quantenna chipset and how it is internally bridge/linked at the hardware level).

This makes it a hardware 'odd-duck'.

DD-WRT will work on this, but a variety of functions will not work (softether vpn, 5g channel setting issues, difficult to flash, etc..). I strongly advise against using DD-WRT on this router unless you have very rudimentary needs...at which point, you are probably better off running Merlin or stock anyways...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone got stable firmware to run 5ghz openvpn and able to get the mobile broadband teather going so i can run my network off a mobile or usb modem?

Is there an option if wan drops out to switch to the mobile teather?
demiansly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given: ASUS RT-AC87U DD-WRT firmware (tried everything starting from February of the current year)

There is a problem on all the firmware.

Unexpectedly, the 3rd LAN port stopped working yesterday. (3rd port in dd-wrt port counting dimension)
Those. when a working wire with a working host is stuck into it, even the connection physics does not light up, there is no light, there is no link on the port. Wires and hosts have already changed to 3 guaranteed workers. (in theory, wires and hosts can be excluded)

Then I got into the terminal, ifconfig shows no problems, I did not find ethtool for a more sexual examination on the command line.

I climbed into the web to see what it was like there - I looked and thought deeply. (picture in the application)

There are 5 ports, 4 LAN and 1 WAN
devices are connected to all 5 ports (in the WAN - the provider on the other end)

What is wrong with the display in the picture? And I mean WTF ???
Defacto all ports do not work except 3.
at the same time, 2 and 4 according to dd-wrt are disabled, and WAN and 1 in a kind of mysterious yellow state.

I am kind of ready to accept the fact that the 3rd port is dead ... Well, it happens that nothing lasts forever, but this indication doesn’t allow me to accept anything.

png.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.1 KB
 Viewed:  14515 Time(s)

png.png

blonde
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 0:04    Post subject: Asus RT-AC87U official page? Reply with quote
Hiya,

1) Is this thread is the only official 'Asus RT-AC87U' thread for firmware issue/support?

2) After I updated to the r42132 firmware version, 'services>speed checker' > Internet-speed option speed checking will not give me any response? I press the button and it stays pressed and speed test meter remains in '0'? What shall I do? I updated to r42287 stock firmware and the same issue happens. Do you need a screenshot or you understand what's the issue? How shall I fix this? I need to frequently use this service to test my speed, and it's important for me to fix it. It was working perfectly on old firmware r40559?

Tnx and best of luck

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Déjà vu

1.) Yes, but there are other threads people have created for specific problems.

2.) You can open a ticket about the problem via Bugtracker SVN.

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

https://www.nperf.com/

https://www.speedtest.net/

http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=speed+test
blonde
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Déjà vu

1.) Yes, but there are other threads people have created for specific problems.

2.) You can open a ticket about the problem via Bugtracker SVN.

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

https://www.nperf.com/

https://www.speedtest.net/

http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=speed+test

Hiya blkt

Thanks.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: