RT-AC87U DD-WRT support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
jhlange
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03    Post subject: RT-AC87U DD-WRT support Reply with quote
From everything that I have seen, the new Asus RT-AC87U is not supported (at least fully) by DD-WRT. Other than one source (below), there is no information stating that this router supports DD-WRT.

The router has an interesting setup, where there is a second SoC running the 5ghz band, as described here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18415 .

Interestingly, Asus is now claiming DD-WRT support for this exact router this router on their site.-- On their old DD-WRT page, that they have just recently updated with modern model numbers, here http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/ .

Is Asus jumping the gun claiming DD-WRT support?
Sponsor
Chance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The most incredible thing is ASUS not knowing about their own devices specifications.

RT-N16 only has 128MB memory, not 256MB.
s-f-r-j
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
LoL - funny.
david.lynch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this hw being worked on?
athurdent
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems that it is supported now, has anyone tried that build yet?
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-11-2014-r25309/asus-rt-ac87u/
theshur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I installed it and it works great.
There is a new beta version from today: http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/asus-rt-ac87u/asus_rt-ac87u-firmware.trx

The only bug I encountered is the 5GHz which is not recognized (monitor traffic, flow rates, ...) but the connection works perfectly.
I have found no significant bug.

This is much better than the asus firmware

++ §hu
athurdent
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for testing it!
It would be nice to know if that build runs stable or if it has the same driver and reboot problems that happen on RT-AC68U and R7000.
raven-au
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
theshur wrote:
Hi,

I installed it and it works great.
There is a new beta version from today: http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/asus-rt-ac87u/asus_rt-ac87u-firmware.trx

The only bug I encountered is the 5GHz which is not recognized (monitor traffic, flow rates, ...) but the connection works perfectly.
I have found no significant bug.

I installed it briefly and observed the same 5Ghz problem.
I also noticed that it can't connect as a client so wireless bridge and repeater functions don't work, at least not for me. I not sure how accurate this observation is as I didn't try long enough to be sure, in particular I didn't do a factory reset.

Unfortunately, because this functionality is essential for me I can't use it.

Ian
athurdent
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
@theshur: any reboots yet or does it run stable?
theshur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
not reboot yet.
I have an iPhone 5s (iOS8.1) and a MacBook with OS X 10.10.1.

I have a problem with DHCP reservation but, I need some test, it's perhaps me the problem Smile

++ §hu
CobraCommander
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been trying to keep an eye on the forum for some kind of DD-WRT release for this router.

I wanted to upgrade from my Netgear WNDR4500 to an AC device and this one looked quite promising. The reviews stated that the firmware seemed a bit "young", but the hardware was very solid.

I've had a string of issues with it from choppy video to the unknown need to reboot the thing on a regular basis so as to not lose performance.

It has really not lived up to my expectations, but every router I've used DD-WRT on has always been improved upon and I hope this saves me from having to abandon the AC87U until its firmware matures.
m4f1050
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just installed the 11-20 version on my RT-AC87U. I will play around with it... I know my Netgear Nighthawk had some issues even with the latest fw... I don't expect this to be 100% working... We'll see what the cat drug in....

EDIT: I already found 2 things I didn't like.

1. You can't raise the transmission power to 1 watt.
2. You can't change the SSID's it kicks you out.

I did see the overclocking option that goes up to 1.6GHz. Anybody know what's the safe overclock speed of these cores on the ASUS RT-AC87U?
m4f1050
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
m4f1050 wrote:

EDIT: I already found 2 things I didn't like.

1. You can't raise the transmission power to 1 watt.
2. You can't change the SSID's it kicks you out.

I did see the overclocking option that goes up to 1.6GHz. Anybody know what's the safe overclock speed of these cores on the ASUS RT-AC87U?

I used Internet Explorer and I was able to change settings. Must not like Firefox... WTH??? Anyways, I managed to bump up the transmission to 1 watt and change SSID's. So disregard previous 2 issues. Will be testing OpenVPN next. Will post findings. Also, I still would like to know how fast have people overclocked this puppy... ----- DISREGARD: Also another thing I noticed, even though I downloaded 11-20 version, it shows 11-11 on the GUI...----- I just flashed 11/20/14 and it's showing correct version, I had to pick the filename with (1) on it, since they have the same name.... Another question: Does this have writeable (read/write) partition? Or is it like the Netgear Nighthawk? I had to do some hack using Command and storing verify.sh in Command that way it would keep the file. Works ... Smile
m4f1050
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
m4f1050 wrote:
Another question: Does this have writeable (read/write) partition? Or is it like the Netgear Nighthawk? I had to do some hack using Command and storing verify.sh in Command that way it would keep the file. Works ... Smile

Answer is no, no writeable partition on this router either. Had to use the custom script for the openvpn auth-user-pass, but works ok. Under firewall I added the iptable entries. OpenVPN works. Only thing that I found doesn't work is MAC Address Clone. I haven't tried any other services. Only service I use is OpenVPN so I am ok with this FW until it's final. Smile
theshur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the DHCP lease reservation works for you?

I have test-it with 3 devices different and it's the same bad result, it's an IP random assigned.

++ §hu
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: