Add second router for public Wi-Fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
signtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 14:58    Post subject: Add second router for public Wi-Fi Reply with quote
What would be the best way to add a second router to handle public Wi-Fi, we already have a wireless ADSL router from our Internet provider since pretty much is untouchable with 4 LAN ports. We would like that the public Wi-Fi would NOT be able to see the private network already in use. We have a NETGEAR WNDR3300 with DD-WRT installed.
Sponsor
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well theoretically speaking you could run everything on one router in itself with different virtual subnets so that the clients in the public hotspot won't get access to your private subnet and vice versa. It takes a bit to setup tough.

Practically wise however it depends on how many public clients you will have since they also increase the load and the number of connections which could limit your personal experience no matter the software implementation / configuration if all of it is only run on one Router (speakingly your NETGEAR WNDR3300).

That is why getting a cheap second Router (I'd just get an former High-End one that 's been sold as Used from eBay, Amazon or the like - since they provide the best Price/Performance-Ratio in my opinion) as an Public Hotspot is not that bad of an idea. You can then not only limit their Speeds with QoS working on WiFi/LAN but also the numbers of TCP/UDP-Connections and their Timeouts specifically so that your Main-Router won't get overloaded needlessly (just be sure that the AP has at least an 400-600mhz single-core and 64/128 MB Ram in case you want QoS to run properly on it).

You can then place the public AP in a spot of your choice and let it either connect to your Router via WiFi in Repeater Mode (Linking Routers and Repeater Mode) or connect it via Ethernet in an own Subnet - as in letting the AP run as a regular router with DHPC and everything enabled (e. g. 192.168.2.x) but just enabling Internet Access by setting the Gateway / DNS to your Main-Router 's IP (e. g. 192.168.1.1) . Connecting it via Ethernet is the most reliable and preferred way (but not always possible depending on the place / distance to the Main-Router) since it doesn't take any Bandwidth of the WiFi-Connection.

My contributions:

[Script] Adblock Plus Filters for Privoxy (without Optware)
[Privoxy-Template] PVXY Modern (officially integrated in DD-WRT starting Build r25541)

My Devices:

Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT BS 25648 with wl0_ampdu=off as Router
ASUS AC66U running DD-WRT Kong 23900 OLDD downclocked to 500 MHz as Repeater
ASUS N66U running 374.43_2 MerlinWRT with BL1.09 downclocked to 500MHz as WET for my Mainmachine
Linksys E2000 running Tomato v121 as WET for my Synology DS214play and Minix Neo X7 Mini
signtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 15:45    Post subject: Add second router for public Wi-Fi use Reply with quote
Thank you for the response, maybe I’m no understanding correctly. This is what I have done changed the IP to 192.168.2.1 (the main router is 192.168.1.1) the subnet 255 .255. 248.0 (the main router is 255.255.255.0).

I’m getting internet access and the wireless router in broadcasting and connecting, but the problem is that I could still and access the other PC’s in the main network which is what I don’t want. There is got to be an easier way?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 15:51    Post subject: Re: Add second router for public Wi-Fi use Reply with quote
signtech wrote:
Thank you for the response, maybe I’m no understanding correctly. This is what I have done changed the IP to 192.168.2.1 (the main router is 192.168.1.1) the subnet 255 .255. 248.0 (the main router is 255.255.255.0).

I’m getting internet access and the wireless router in broadcasting and connecting, but the problem is that I could still and access the other PC’s in the main network which is what I don’t want. There is got to be an easier way?

http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or

Setup -> VLANs

then select Wireless (on the bottom) from LAN to None.

Should work as well in case he doesn't want anyone on his WiFi-Connection from this AP accessing the LAN right?

(rather then using a Guest WiFi since it 's a specific AP only for Guests).

Or does he have to do something like this for the WiFi-VLAN with custom iptable rules?

https://aaka.sh/patel/2011/07/17/creating-isolated-vlan-ddwrt-wnr3500l/

My contributions:

[Privoxy-Template] PVXY Modern (officially integrated in DD-WRT starting Build r25541)

My Devices:

ASUS N66U running 374.43_2 MerlinWRT with BL1.09 downclocked to 500MHz as WET for my Mainmachine
Linksys E2000 running Tomato v121 as WET for my Synology DS214play and Minix Neo X7 Mini
signtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Add second router for public Wi-Fi use Reply with quote
Thanks for your help, kong suggestion did not help since the build that I have does not have “Block Access to Router and Local Lan”. Guys I’m a new to this if you could spell it out it would be a great help.
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 17:37    Post subject: Re: Add second router for public Wi-Fi use Reply with quote
signtech wrote:
Thanks for your help, kong suggestion did not help since the build that I have does not have “Block Access to Router and Local Lan”. Guys I’m a new to this if you could spell it out it would be a great help.

Did you try my suggestion?

My contributions:

My Devices:

signtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 18:05    Post subject: Add second router for public Wi-Fi use Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say that it did not help, I'm open to suggestions since it cannot be that complicated and there is a ton of information online but it does not refer to my problem specifically.
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then please try to select VLAN 2 (the one where W is ticked) and set it 's "Assigned To Bridge" to NONE as well (Default: LAN).

After that do a reboot. (I can only theoretically put it together since I don't have an similar setup going).

My contributions:

My Devices:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: