PPPoE Static IP

Ramphex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 19:16    Post subject: PPPoE Static IP Reply with quote
Is there a way to have Static IP with PPPoE withOUT calling ISP and asking them to give me a static IP?
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
no you always have to ask your isp. otherwise it will not work also if you assign it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use the dynamic DNS feature of the router to point a DNS entry to your always-changing IP. That is all I do. I use DynDNS and it updates quite quickly, provided I am using RP-PPPoE. It fails to work with the regular PPPoE client.
SAPo57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm... On my cable modem I first would bridge it by disabling NAT to give all the public IP addressing and NAT operations to my broadband router. Then, I would select static IP and configure my connection for a static gateway and a public WAN address.

For some DSL or PPPoE services that don't give lease times on their Public IP addresses you don't need bridging on the modem, but if they do you can just COPY the public IP address of the gateway the modem is connected to and it's WAN IP and then put them in the STATIC IP configuration option.

This works for me and everytime my modem reboots it keeps that same IP address all the time.
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 23:39    Post subject: Re: PPPoE Static IP Reply with quote
Ramphex wrote:
Is there a way to have Static IP with PPPoE withOUT calling ISP and asking them to give me a static IP?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,
Ruud

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: