ddwrt WRT310N Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
drjlo wrote:
TxITGuy wrote:

o Tx power at 85
o Drilled the top of the unit so it looks like swiss cheese for cooling (seems to work)

I have slow speeds upstairs (damn these new routers without long external antennas), so I tried a range of Tx power from 28 to 100 on my WRT310N, and it made NO difference in downloads speeds or signal strength!

I'm using a 5 dbi antenna/USB wireless N dongle.

Here in So Cal, the router does get warm, so I tried flipping it over with the performations on the bottom facing up. Well, it worked for heat, but the internet speeds slowed down by 4-5 Mbps. I ended up putting my WRT310N on its side, which gave me the most speed on the first floor, but still no improvement upstairs.

For those types of linksys units (newer, no external antennas) i always set it to Tx 40mW, also for the cooling issue, i just put a piece of wood under the edge of it near the ports, so it raises it just enough to get a little space under it for some bottom circulation, i was using a full sized permanent marker, but i found a square sized equivalent and use it now, seems to help a little bit without throwing off the signal.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
drjlo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arrghh.

I spoke to soon. After a couple of days with DD-WRT, the Linksys is exhibiting the same problem with slow wireless speeds. Power cycle fixes it temporarily.

Conclusion: Linksys WRTXXX series is turtle doodoo with incurable hardware issues. Linksys should be ashamed of themselves.
TxITGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
drjlo wrote:
Arrghh.

I spoke to soon. After a couple of days with DD-WRT, the Linksys is exhibiting the same problem with slow wireless speeds. Power cycle fixes it temporarily.

Conclusion: Linksys WRTXXX series is turtle doodoo with incurable hardware issues. Linksys should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree...I miss the WRT54G form factor type cases.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
drjlo wrote:

BTW, you killed the $hit out of me...lol.. oh so true, i do however have wrt320n which has been better to me than the wrt310, but really still doo doo.

I use an Asus wl-520gU for my main router... yea i know G router, but to be honest, its been more stable than most of the N units i have.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
drjlo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a few days left on Linksys warranty. I really don't want another WRT310N. Last time I talked to them, they seemed somewhat willing to send me a refurb WRT54G2 instead if I wanted. They claimed they don't have any refurb WRT52GL unfortunately.

I assume WRT54G2 is not DD-WRT capable. Should I still take it?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
drjlo wrote:
I have a few days left on Linksys warranty. I really don't want another WRT310N. Last time I talked to them, they seemed somewhat willing to send me a refurb WRT54G2 instead if I wanted. They claimed they don't have any refurb WRT52GL unfortunately.

I assume WRT54G2 is not DD-WRT capable. Should I still take it?

I would steer clear of that unit, its even worse than the wrt310, the WRT54G2 is compatible, well atleast v1.0 v1.3, but my main reason to stay away from that unit is because last i knew, it has a 2Mb flash and 8Mb RAM, this would cause great sorrow to your network and thus discouraged.

drjlo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The speeds have been holding since the last power cycle for a couple days. Here's hoping the last glitch was a fluke and all will go well Rolling Eyes

A strange thing has happened since flashing DD-WRT Mini to WRT310N V.2, however. All my computers have Win 7, but one has Windows XP Pro. This XP computer is randomly losing its IP address.

Wireless would be fine one minute, and next I see a yellow Exclamation sign over the wireless bars logo saying I have "limited" wireless. click on it, and it says my XP computer does not have an IP address assigned! Push "repair" and it would get fixed, but this occurs randomly several times a day.

At least this has never happened with Linksys firmware. Is there a setting somewhere in DD-WRT Mini to fix this?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
drjlo wrote:
The speeds have been holding since the last power cycle for a couple days. Here's hoping the last glitch was a fluke and all will go well Rolling Eyes

A strange thing has happened since flashing DD-WRT Mini to WRT310N V.2, however. All my computers have Win 7, but one has Windows XP Pro. This XP computer is randomly losing its IP address.

Wireless would be fine one minute, and next I see a yellow Exclamation sign over the wireless bars logo saying I have "limited" wireless. click on it, and it says my XP computer does not have an IP address assigned! Push "repair" and it would get fixed, but this occurs randomly several times a day.

At least this has never happened with Linksys firmware. Is there a setting somewhere in DD-WRT Mini to fix this?

What do you have your Tx set to? default 71? Also what is your ACK range set to? default is 2000 meters

drjlo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

What do you have your Tx set to? default 71? Also what is your ACK range set to? default is 2000 meters

Tried Tx of both 71 and 28 (Linksys default), and I see absolutely no difference in anything, even wireless strength or speed.

ACK is at 2000.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
On that unit, i always set to 40, also with your ACK, you should either set it to 0 or set it to what your distance should cover. I mean in the end this is still poo, but with certain settings it can run a little bit more stable.

drjlo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
On that unit, i always set to 40, also with your ACK, you should either set it to 0 or set it to what your distance should cover. I mean in the end this is still poo, but with certain settings it can run a little bit more stable.

I set the ACK to 50.
Anyway, the stability lasted 2-3 days and just went downhill. Internet speed slowed by more than 50%, and I had to power cycle my Linksys again. Interestingly, the speed didn't come back right away and took a few minutes this time.

I think I'm done with Linksys. I won't bother calling them again to spend another few hours on the phone since the best they'll do is send me another WRT310N, my THiRD!!

I already paid for shipping back the first bad unit, and I don't wan to pay shipping again, just to have another dog poo WRT310N, yet to ship back again??!!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea i know what you mean, i don't really care for these new linksys units, i mean they are ok, but they have to many problems, main thing i have seen with the wrt310 and wrt320 alike is that they get hot, very hot. They are not as good as the older model ones for sure...

Like i said in my previous post, i run an Asus WL-520gU for my gateway now with very solid results, and i have many N unit routers here, they just all seem to have their little 'quirks' and i found the G routers i have produce a much more stable results. I only use a few wireless devices here, my main machines are wired.

I only foresee one problem with all this for me though, comcast is going to launch their docsis 3.0 for this area in about a month, i'll need a better CPU than whats in my G routers to route my newly gained bandwidth, thus will be forced to go back to some kind of N router.

linearburn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
not to mention with docis 3.0 comes ipv6 witch is not supported correctly atm
_Raynor_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently acquired a WRT310N v1 that I successfully flashed to DD-WRT v24 preSP2, Mini first, then Standard (cf. that guide).

But I've just past several hours trying to understand why my workstations could not access Internet...
This model had not enough NVRAM to store my settings (nothing fancy though) and about 8 DHCP static leases.
So dnsmasq wasn't even able to start (hopefully a manual start would give the fatal hint, something like: size: 32766 bytes (234 left))

For now, I went back to a Mini version (r14896, 2010-08-09) and my NVRAM is taking 21314 bytes (11454 left).

Is that a common WRT310N issue? Is 4MB really not enough for DD-WRT v24 STD?
While googling before paypaling this unit, I didn't found such complain.

PS: Still no "RTSP conntrack" support on v24 releases :-/
JohnnyO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
_Raynor_ wrote:

Is 4MB really not enough for DD-WRT v24 STD?

While I'm not running a recent release (running 13064), I don't have a memory issue running a standard build. Mine has been running now about about 148 days without a restart.

DNSMasq is running OK for me.

Many others here are using the 310N as well, so I think there would be more complaints if the memory problem was more widespread.

memusage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.68 KB
 Viewed:  20208 Time(s)

memusage.jpg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 21 of 22
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: