Netgear R7000 Nighthawk 140mm Fan Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
bradleybaldwin1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 0:33    Post subject: Netgear R7000 Nighthawk 140mm Fan Mod Reply with quote
The Netgear R7000 Nighthawk is kept on top of my cabinets for optimal signal strength to all devices being that this is the center of my small home. The Nighthawk natively runs hot, and of course having it up there to where heat rises certainly doesnt help. This DIY Mod took care of it. 140mm fan hole traced and cut with a dremel tool into the top cover. Four screw holes drilled to mount the fan. Fan's +12V and -12VDC leads soldered to the 12Vdc input connector at the bottom of the board. The fan is set to vacuum air out of the Nighthawk, having it replaced with fresh, cool air from the bottom and side vents. I superglued four TV wall mount spacers to lift the Nighthawk up a bit to allow cool air to flow from underneath. The 140mm fan is silent and has a nice high flow rate. Onboard temps have definitely dropped.
I keep the house at 74 Fahrenheit 23 Celcius. This mod keeps the Nighthawk at:
CPU 42.5 °C / WL0 38.51 °C / WL1 39.00 °C
(CPU 108.5 °F / WL0 101.318 °F / WL1 102.2 °F)
Sponsor
rkaede
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
this looks like an apache helicopter. Razz
nice mod btw

ASUS AC68U merlin fw
Linksys EA6700 - factory firmware - sold
DD-WRT v3.0 --- 27506
r25408
setite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please tell me you have pictures of the mod process. I feel the need to mod mine as I am astonished that these things still don't come with fans or at least an fan option. I'd like to see where you placed the fan, but more importantly where the leads are to power it.

EDIT: Weird, before I signed in there were no pictures and nothing to even indicate there was something I wasn't seeing. I thought the first responder was a nutter Smile. Now I see the images, is there a diagram of the PCB so I can track down the leads.

EDIT 2: I didn't catch all of the post the first time. Did you test with positive pressure? If so did negative pressure offer better cooling? It seems to me that while air from below is technically cooler, forcing air down over the heat sinks would offer more effective active cooling. I need to find a photo of the r7000 taken apart, I wonder if perhaps there are superior fan optimized heat sinks to replace the OEM sinks with.
A7Legit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm late to the party but great mod! Smile

How does the R7000 cope with accumulated dust over years of use with the fans sucking in air from underneath, also, is opening the R7000 difficult, I'm looking into doing a similar mod myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
any pic where you connected the fan or did you just used the usb port?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
moccolo wrote:
any pic where you connected the fan or did you just used the usb port?

Here is my mod...it shows where I connected the fan power on the mobo.

red is +12...Black is GND...I run it to a variable speed circuit...potentiometer adjustable.

CPU and WL chips reporting over 10*C cooler then without the fan running.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh...BTW...my fan is only 120mm...I think I should have gotten the 140mm like bradleybaldwin1...it looks nice with the larger fan...but the 120mm pushes enough air...I'm happy.

Nice mod bradleybaldwin1.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
thx for the pics Smile
sirdano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38    Post subject: R7000 fan mod Reply with quote
Anyone one got pictures of this mod thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: