Access Restrictions Not Applying If Page Open At Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
borgjs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 17:05    Post subject: Access Restrictions Not Applying If Page Open At Time Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/17/13) mega(SVN revision 20979), running on a Linksys 3000. DD-WRT is configured to act as the DNS server for the clients.

This was previously posted in the General Questions Forum. It was deleted from there, I assume because it is an Advanced Networking issue?

WHAT I AM ATTEMPTING:
I am trying to implement access restrictions that fire at a specific time. I have a teenage son that I want to make sure completes his school work before goofing off watching MineCraft Video Blogs.

THE PROBLEM:
If the user is on the site that is going to be blocked at the time the Access Restriction fires, the user still has access to the site. However, the user cannot open the site directly, say in a new tab or new browser instance.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
Using client MAC address.
Using client IP Address.
Having an Access Restriction turn off all Internet Access first then Web Filtering, and then turning Internet Access back on.
Searched through the forums and general internet searching.

The Internet On/Off method above worked for some sites. It did not work for YouTube. If YouTube was open when the Access Restrictions were fired, the user still had access to it and could navigate the sites from the page that was open. Again, the user could not open YouTube from a new browser window or tab.

Any guidance is appreciated, even if that guidance indicates that it cannot be done.

An enthusiastic noob
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess you are using "-NEW" in the ip filter that blocks only new connections to the site.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you could set schedule reboot (Administratin/Keep Alive tab) 1 min. before AR...?
borgjs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 16:24    Post subject: RE: Access Restrictions Not Applying If Page Open At Time Reply with quote
I was not using "-NEW" in the IP Filter. Do not see where this would be entered.

The scheduling a reboot did not work either.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you only block the web page (http) traffic. I suspect that it establishes communication at another port after the web page is loaded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: