Best VPN setup for remote media server?

bluezp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 18:32    Post subject: Best VPN setup for remote media server? Reply with quote
Hey folks,

At one house, I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 on a 110/15 down/up internet connection. I don't have a static IP but I have DDNS set up.

At another house, I have a Windows 8.1 box connected with a static IP on a fiber connection (approximately 400/180 down/up). I don't have access to change any settings on the router there or to install DD-WRT, but I have a static external internet IP on it.

I want to be able to stream video from the windows server at home 2 to my local network at home 1 using both Plex and Windows Media Center. For Plex I am mostly using a combination of Android devices and Chromecast for viewing content from the Plex server, and for Windows Media Center I'd be using an XBox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

Plex can be done without a VPN so that's not an issue, but for the 360 to see the WMC they would have to be on the same subnet. If I set up a VPN, I'd prefer for Plex to go over that too.

So what's the best set up to ensure enough speed for streaming video? Should I run a DD-WRT OpenVPN server on the Netgear R7000 and just use the standard Windows client on the server to connect to OpenVPN server? Can that be set up to auto-reconnect in case it goes down?

If so, can I expect decent enough speeds for streaming media?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: