Mounting SAMBA Drive in Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dborja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:45    Post subject: Mounting SAMBA Drive in Mac OS X Mountain Lion Reply with quote
Hopefully, this will help others set up their drives in Mac OS X Mountain Lion. This may also work in Lion.

My setup:
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion running on an iMac
-- WiFi turned off, connected through Ethernet to router
- Netgear WNDR3400 router running DD-WRT V24-SP2 (4/7/12) Big
- 1.5TB External USB drive with two MS-DOS FAT32 partitions connected to router USB connection

Router setup:
- USB setup as follows:
-- Core USB Support enabled
-- USB Drive Support enabled
-- Automatic Drive Mount enabled
-- Disk Mount Point is /mnt
- NAS set up as follows:
-- Samba enabled
-- Server String is "ACSamba"
-- Workgroup is "WORKGROUP"
-- Shares path set up for each partition, "Public" unchecked, Access = Read/Write
-- Users set up with name and password

Once I rebooted the router, I opened Finder then went to the menu bar: Go->Connect to Server... I entered SMB://router ip address and was prompted for the username and password I set up in the NAS tab of the router. The USB drive partitions popped up and I was off and running.

I spent a day figuring this out - struggling with Terminal commands "mount" and "mount_smbfs" until I stumbled into this much simpler method...
Sponsor
elmorenoj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote
I have been looking for something like this! Thanks!! Very Happy
dborja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're most welcome! I'm glad you found this useful. There's definitely a lot of excellent information in these forums and elsewhere but I found it difficult to piece it together for my setup. I thought there must be at least one other person with the same rig as I have that will benefit...

Enjoy!
mc_jacopo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24    Post subject: Re: Mounting SAMBA Drive in Mac OS X Mountain Lion Reply with quote
dborja wrote:

- NAS set up as follows:
-- Samba enabled
-- Server String is "ACSamba"
-- Workgroup is "WORKGROUP"
-- Shares path set up for each partition, "Public" unchecked, Access = Read/Write
-- Users set up with name and password

Thanks dborja Smile for your how-to! I have a problem though. I'm running DD-WRT on a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. It also features a USB port. I would like to share an HD on my network plugging it in the router, but no way.

My concern is that in the Services>NAS setting there is no mention to SAMBA or whatever... just FTP server/ProFTPD... what is it so?
What should I do?

Thanks for your help! Very Happy
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
what version and firmware are you running?
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
mc_jacopo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
what version and firmware are you running?

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don;t believe std build has USB support so no Samba server. you need a USB/NAS version or Big or Mega.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

mc_jacopo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
i don;t believe std build has USB support so no Samba server. you need a USB/NAS version or Big or Mega.

So the problem is my router or the firmware? If it is the firmware, then where do I get the USB supporting one with SAMBA server?

Thanks for any Very Happy
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
check out the links in my signature

Common F.A.Q.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:

Hold your horses..

WR1043ND is Atheros based and there are no builds named after the flash size as for Broadcom.
WR1043ND has 8MB flash and the std build for it corresponds to a Broadcom Mega feature wise.

@mc_jacopo
You are in the wrong forum section and you are running a very old build, pop over to the Atheros section and browse a bit - you will find both recommendations of recently built firmware version and download links for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for a great post, was incredibly helpful for me. I do not have a build with Samba, but it still helped a ton!
deanarthur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:18    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote
dborja
thank you thank you thank you!

I have been trying to get my USB set up with my Mac for a whole day, your post made it easy and clear, at last!
Much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: