Acess control doesnt work, connectivity issues

Aatcman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 19:43    Post subject: Acess control doesnt work, connectivity issues Reply with quote
Hi all,
I installed DDwrt on some of my netgear wndr4300 routers so i could set up my wireless network and gateway with full control of my router and with simple software that works....
Unfortunatly, DDWRT firmware, in general, in many differant routers, is a total failure. And this total failure persists despite multitudonous complaints both here and on other forums.
Please advise how to correct the following all too common failures or provide an update to do so:

--Android 4 devices will not connect. they show an authentication error.
Ipod 5 will not connect. Same issue..
Yet Android 7 device connects just fine, as does iphone 7..
security is wpa2
There are bazillions of unanswered complaints out there about this.

--Access control DOES NOT WORK!!!
I am trying to block the kids devices and xbox after a certain time of day. Access control is setup to do so, BUT DOES ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!!!!!!!
THIS IS INCREDIBLY INFURIATING WITH A HARD HEADED TEEN!!!!!!!
I even tried the trick someone suggested in one of the other zillion complaints about this where you disable the spi firewall and it magically starts working -- that did not work either.
i have tried both mac address and ip, neither work.
this unit is serving as the gateway.. cable modem hooked to WAN, lan hooked to lan ports and wifi..
I should also mention that the 45 crashes involved in even setting up the access control options are rather undesireable too......

PLEASE PROVIDE A SOLUTION! I really dont want to use stock firmware or buy another router just because of very well known flaws in ddwrt...

thanks!
Sponsor
Aatcman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forgot to mention, I am running ddwrt v3.0-r33006 std

thanks!
Aatcman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANKYOU to the silent fixer who has finally provided what seems to be a fix..

It turns out, as of Sep27, there is a new build, dd-wrt v3.0-r33413. This version seems to have fixed the multitudounous problems with access control. You can configure the settings without the settings page crashing repeatedly AND the settings actually seem to work.

To get the newest build for your router, go to ftp.dd-wrt.com , choose either stable or beta (most routers will be in one or the other) choose your router model and version #.

BIG note. Some routers (like a lot of netgear units) will have 2 versions of software listed. One ends in webflash.bin This is the new software version. The other one is NOT! That other one is an older version your stock firmware will accept as an upgrade.. Once you have ddwrt on your router, go to the admin tab and then firmware upgrade tab and upgrade to the webflash.bin version. If your router is already running ddwrt, only the webflash.bin file is needed.. Just do the last step and you are done...

Hope this helps somebody out there... :o)
Aatcman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE: It would seem that the dev connunity has no desire to provide the access control functionality...
After SEVEN YEARS OF COMPLAINTS AND PLEAS FOR HELP, access control STILL HAS NOT BEEN FIXED!!!!!!!!

So here is where we are at now:
-The latest revision seems to work when I set up tests to block phones or tablets at certain hours of the day. Good improvement.
-The latest revision seems to have the crashing issue resolved. Good improvement.
-The latest revision STILL DOES NOT BLOCK THE XBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Can someone please fix this? Its quite pathetic that this "enhanced firmware" cant handle a simple feature that most stock firmwares handle easily...

THIS IS SEVEN YEARS IN THE MAKING.. CAN WE PLEASE GET A FIX ALEADY?!?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: