Best device for very stable enterprise WLAN

xavidpr4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 21:51    Post subject: Best device for very stable enterprise WLAN Reply with quote
My purpose is to create an enterprise wlan with several ssid separated with vlan(dot1q). Because of that i need to know what devices are most stable with radios/antenna for broadcasting several ssid/wlan. If you could tell me a list with a few of the best devices of several brands, like linksys, tp-link or asus you rock!!

Compatibility with 802.11n is good enought.

Stability is the goal!!.

Thanks in advance Very Happy
Sponsor
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the Asus RT-N16. Don't really know about your range needs as that's one of those "Your Mileage May Vary". However, I set them up with Multiple SSID's and VLAN's and it's very nice to keep everything separate via iptables in the Firewall Commands. The RT-N16 can be a bit tricky to set up. I did recently post a How To on setting up VLANS that works here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=258340&highlight=

There are some other sites and instructions out there on getting it to work NONE of which I could make work.

However, if you're not really concerned with "Wired Connections" and VLANs and just want separate SSID's all separated that's a lot easier to accomplish.

Lastly, you may want to focus on Broadcom chipsets as opposed to Atheros. They are a bit better for accomplishing what you want. Atheros have advantages but I've never had good stability with multiple SSID's on those. They seem to work for a while and then just stop issuing IP addresses to clients or no Internet connectivity. So, I’d stick with Broadcom chipsets. Officially (and I could be wrong) DD-WRT does not support VLANs with the Atheros chipsets so you’d want to stick with Broadcom. It also may be a good idea to post something in the “Broadcom” section of the forum as opposed to the “General” section.

Hope this helps!
xavidpr4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, it was really helpful. At last i found other ap which for a really low price accomplish what i'm looking for.
Dlink dap 2310

Traditionally enterprise wlan and advanced ap are very expensive and for that reason i was looking how to do it with cheap routers.
Anyway just to kill my own curiosity maybe i will try sometime with ddwrt.

Thanks a lot 80sguitartist. Too bad that ddwrt does not support comtrend routers, all they are Broadcom and i have several of them. Maybe openwrt...
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try with UniFi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: