TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
devhen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I posted earlier about not being able to do https on the 811DRU. This is because the 811DRU only has 8MB flash and therefore can only fit the 'mini' build of dd-wrt which doesn't include https. So the lack of https is normal. Just an FYI.
Sponsor
carlitos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 16:10    Post subject: firmware location Reply with quote
Thanks devhen. I will definitely try this when I get back home.

One more thing. Where can I post or find results/problems for this particular router? Can I use this thread to report progress/problems or should it be somewhere else? I ask becausebi want to share some things that happened when I first tried to upgrade then firmware.

Thanks again.
devhen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 16:30    Post subject: Re: firmware location Reply with quote
carlitos wrote:
Thanks devhen. I will definitely try this when I get back home.

One more thing. Where can I post or find results/problems for this particular router? Can I use this thread to report progress/problems or should it be somewhere else? I ask becausebi want to share some things that happened when I first tried to upgrade then firmware.

Thanks again.

Yeah I think this is probably the thread to do it in. I did a quick google search and this seemed to be most popular thread for this particular router. But as you can see, its not a particularly active thread. So there probably just aren't a whole lot of people using this particular router with dd-wrt. I've been using dd-wrt for many years and I have two of these 811DRU's so I may be able to help you. Go ahead and post your findings and questions. If nothing else, it might be informative to people with the 811DRU who visit this thread in the future.
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked one of these up for $11 after newegg discount code and American Express credit After the bad experience of my old Belkin F7D4301 v1 burning out due to inadequate cooling, I wanted to try something preventative on the trendnet.

Research showed that the cpu heatsink has an adhesive pad holding the heat sink to the chip. So I removed the heatsink and the adhesive pad, cleaned it all up, and reassembled with some arctic silver. The temperature of the heatsink went up by 15 degrees C so I'm assuming that the chip is now running 15 degrees cooler. It's still pretty hot, but better than it was.

I have a question, though. Why is there only a beta mini release? The trendnet has 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM which is the same as for the belkin F7D430, but the belkin has eight different builds available, including big. Why is there only a mini build available for the trendnet?
carlitos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 19:25    Post subject: it seems that way for now Reply with quote
yaconsult wrote:
I picked one of these up for $11 after newegg discount code and American Express credit After the bad experience of my old Belkin F7D4301 v1 burning out due to inadequate cooling, I wanted to try something preventative on the trendnet.

Research showed that the cpu heatsink has an adhesive pad holding the heat sink to the chip. So I removed the heatsink and the adhesive pad, cleaned it all up, and reassembled with some arctic silver. The temperature of the heatsink went up by 15 degrees C so I'm assuming that the chip is now running 15 degrees cooler. It's still pretty hot, but better than it was.

I have a question, though. Why is there only a beta mini release? The trendnet has 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM which is the same as for the belkin F7D430, but the belkin has eight different builds available, including big. Why is there only a mini build available for the trendnet?

I believe the version indicated in one of the previous posts is the latest version. In my opinion, you will have to keep an eye on the new versions to see if there are new ones.

I have one and just purchased two more today. I want to use one for my mom and the other as my test bed.

I am interested in your modifications. Was it hard to take it apart and apply the heat paste?

I might try that out...
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it's the latest but I don't understand why there is only one build for this router. It has enough memory and flash to support all or most of the builds.

The case is a bit of a pain to open. The screws are under two of the rubber feet on the bottom. Then there are snaps all around the inside of the case holding it together.

It was also a pain to pry off the heatsink after taking out the two hold-down screws. Just had to keep working it loose a little at a time. There is a thin copper plate on the bottom of the heatsink that you wouldn't know was there.

They used a double-sided adhesive foam pad between the heatsink and the cpu. I did not see any thermal compound at all on the cpu.

I still runs hot, though - this is what dd-wrt shows at the moment: CPU Temperature: CPU 86.4 °C / WL0 57.31 °C / WL1 58.58 °C

What temperature does yours say? If it's not much higher than that then it may not be worth the trouble.
cyke238
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Running this router since April this year and no problem. Schedule reboot weekly.

Just installed the entware-arm package on it last month. Running lighttpd and openvpn server.
carlitos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yaconsult wrote:
Yes, it's the latest but I don't understand why there is only one build for this router. It has enough memory and flash to support all or most of the builds.

The case is a bit of a pain to open. The screws are under two of the rubber feet on the bottom. Then there are snaps all around the inside of the case holding it together.

It was also a pain to pry off the heatsink after taking out the two hold-down screws. Just had to keep working it loose a little at a time. There is a thin copper plate on the bottom of the heatsink that you wouldn't know was there.

They used a double-sided adhesive foam pad between the heatsink and the cpu. I did not see any thermal compound at all on the cpu.

I still runs hot, though - this is what dd-wrt shows at the moment: CPU Temperature: CPU 86.4 °C / WL0 57.31 °C / WL1 58.58 °C

What temperature does yours say? If it's not much higher than that then it may not be worth the trouble.

My only guess is that it has not been a popular router and there have been few request to push for more work on it.

I noticed my router is running pretty hot:
CPU 91.4 °C / WL0 57.48 °C / WL1 59.50 °C

I did not realize it would run this hot if you had not said anything. I will check with Trendnet and see if this temperature is by design. I will also try to lower the frequency to 600Mhz to see if that helps.

I am interested because I purchased two more of this things on a sale and I intend to update them to dd-wrt today.

I read in smallnetbuilder how AC routers yield better performance for N routers than Native N routers. This has been the case for me.

I have a Roku, BlueRay wireless disc player and I had a PC with a small usb N wireless adapter and ALL of them had problems streaming anything. With this Trendnet now, I can stream HD to any of them without a hiccup. I just started testing so I will have to wait a month or so to have more solid information.

Thank you for your help.

If I find out anything more I will post again.
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will be interested in the reply you get from Trendnet regarding temperature. From the threads I've seen on slickdeals, I think it's typical. Mine is sitting at 84.7 right now being used on this connection. My belkin Max 600 died after a year and I think it was due to the heat because it also always ran very hot. Some people have gone to extremes, like the FrankenRouter guy in the slickdeals thread who drilled holes in the side of the case and mounted a fan on the side that's almost as big as the router! I don't know if a smaller fan inside the case would make much difference. The venting openings are small and few on the top and bottom of the case.

According to other threads I saw on either slickdeals or the dd-wrt forum, lowering the cpu frequency did not reduce the cpu termperature significantly. Let us know if you find otherwise.

My amazon Fire Stick does seem to stream better with this router than it did with my old one.

cyke238: Can you tell us what your cpu temperature is from the dd-wrt status page? And how does entware compare to optware? Isn't optware what most people running dd-wrt use to add capabilities? How is entware different?
carlitos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
yaconsult wrote:
I will be interested in the reply you get from Trendnet regarding temperature. From the threads I've seen on slickdeals, I think it's typical. Mine is sitting at 84.7 right now being used on this connection. My belkin Max 600 died after a year and I think it was due to the heat because it also always ran very hot. Some people have gone to extremes, like the FrankenRouter guy in the slickdeals thread who drilled holes in the side of the case and mounted a fan on the side that's almost as big as the router! I don't know if a smaller fan inside the case would make much difference. The venting openings are small and few on the top and bottom of the case.

According to other threads I saw on either slickdeals or the dd-wrt forum, lowering the cpu frequency did not reduce the cpu termperature significantly. Let us know if you find otherwise.

My amazon Fire Stick does seem to stream better with this router than it did with my old one.

cyke238: Can you tell us what your cpu temperature is from the dd-wrt status page? And how does entware compare to optware? Isn't optware what most people running dd-wrt use to add capabilities? How is entware different?

Quick follow up, I am still waiting to see if I will get a response from Trendnet.

I do not know if one of the two things I did helped lower the temperature just a bit.

I just read that lowering the frequency does nothing for temperature so I will restore it to 800Mhz again and check it again later.
Right now the temperature is fluctuating between:
CPU 89.7 °C / WL0 56.50 °C / WL1 58.50 °C
and
CPU 89.1 °C / WL0 56.50 °C / WL1 58.50 °C

I think using 20 cents helped. I used 4 small towers/piles of 5 pennies each to elevate the router so there is more air underneath it. By physics alone cooler air should be drawn more readily up and through the router. I will check again after the unit has been running at 800Mhz again.

I was thinking of adapting a fan to the top of the unit do draw air thorough the unit and see if that helps.

That said, I am becoming obsessed with the temperature and I am not yet sure if it is by design. I will wait for them to answer or if anyone knows the answer then even better.

I am getting ready to get the other two routers on line.
yaconsult
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I take it that you haven't opened yours up yet, presumably to preserve your warranty? I believe the warranty is also voided by installing any firmware not downloaded from trendnet and they only have an older version of dd-wrt available.

Because I only paid $11 after the discount code and American Express e-pay credit, I opened mine up - which was NOT easy as there are snaps all around the inside of the case and now there are little marks from where I pried it open.

Take a flashlight and shine it through the bottom and top of the case while looking in the other end and you will see how small and few the cooling slots are, especially on the bottom - most of them are blocked. But even with the case open, I am still seeing this for temperature after putting thermal compound under the heatsink: CPU Temperature: CPU 80.2 °C / WL0 55.63 °C / WL1 56.50 °C
andymcdaniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently ordered two of these, and the upstairs one setup perfectly. The downstairs one won't take the password that is on it. Is there any way to load dd-wrt other than the web interface? I'm guessing I'll just have to return it and get another, but I'd love it if I could find a way to get around the password.
SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
andymcdaniel wrote:
I recently ordered two of these, and the upstairs one setup perfectly. The downstairs one won't take the password that is on it. Is there any way to load dd-wrt other than the web interface? I'm guessing I'll just have to return it and get another, but I'd love it if I could find a way to get around the password.

The user/password is different from each router. Remember to look on the label sticker on the side/bottom. Also capitalization matters. Triple check for letters that look alike 0,o,O (zero, lower o, upper O), 1,i,I,l, etc...

There's also a reset hole on the bottom I think next to the rubber feet, next to the label. Try a 30/30/30 reset.
SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wall of text incoming...

Here's my experiences so far on this router. I got this router from a deal. Been
running it for a couple of weeks now and it seems fairly stable. 5 gigabit ports
(1WAN/4LAN), AC1200 (2.4+5GHz) internal antennas, USB 2.0 port.

Trendnet TEW811DRU
DD-WRT v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) mini
Linux 3.10.83 #4387 Thu Jul 9 04:44:09 CEST 2015 armv7l

The version reported is mini, but seems to have most of the features of the
Standard USB NAS build. The DD-WRT features I needed are luckily included (IPv6,
USB, NAS/SAMBA). Some people have reported troubles with IPv6 configuration on Comcast, but works fine for me using a Hurricane Electric tunnel.

Missing features.

No FTPd, no OpenVPN, no VoIP, no DLNA, no kaid, NTFS doesn't seem to work.

Fairly easy to install dd-wrt on it. Just webflash from the original admin page.
The default IP for the router is 192.168.10.1.

login is:

admin
password on label (case sensitive).

Power consumption readings:

5.6W Both Radio On
5.0W 5GHz Only
4.8W 2.4GHz Only
4.1W Radio Off

USB drive +0.3W

Default clock is 800Mhz. You can over or underclock with DD-WRT, I tried to
underclock to 600Mhz but didn't lower the power draw or temperatures. I think this
feature isn't working.

Temperature is around 82C dd-wrt reported which is a bit worrisome, so it does run
really hot. That probably caused a lot of the problems people have. It hasn't
caused any noticeable issues for me so far. People above have reported of opening
it up and applying some thermal paste, but if the temps are still around the ~80C
range, then it probably isn't worth it.

I tested out a USB drive from a TomatoUSB router, ext2 recognized and mounted. Got
samaba transfer speed 16.2MB/s which is pretty good for a tiny USB 2.0 drive.
Unfortunately, NTFS doesn not seem supported. Couldn't get an NTFS drive to mount.
It did see the NTFS partition header.

Samba works fine, but I did encounter maybe a bug. I was doing some heavy I/O file
sync/rsync. Windows would report back folder not found error. Wait a few secs, and
refresh the folder would be fine. I think a reboot made it a bit more stable.

2.4GHz and 5GHz works on DD-WRT. I don't have any 5GHz devices, but was able to
see the neighbor's 5GHz AP. 2.4GHz range is a little disappointing. If you're
using it within 5-10ft, line of sight, it's fine, but it definitely has a more
trouble penetrating walls/floors than my older 2.4GHz N router, 20ft+. Haven't
tested stability.

I get pretty much full wired gigabit speeds PC<->PC (~113MB/s) LAN file transfers. Tested WAN-LAN routing speeds is about ~39.5 MB/s (~316 mbps) with dd-wrt firmware. I tested with 600Mhz and 800Mhz CPU clock and it made no difference, so that's why I think the underclock is broken. Did not test overclocking as the CPU was hot enough. Smallnetbuilder reported a WAN-LAN speeds of ~550mbps with the original Trendnet firmware.

Another small bug with this firmware is the front 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio LED lights are lit even when the radio is off. The USB light might stay on as well when there's no USB drive plugged in, don't remember.

In summary, this might be a good router if you get a good deal, are mostly wired and/or use the 5GHz band. If you're looking to replace a 2.4GHz router and expect improved range and speeds, this probably isn't the router you're looking for. This is probably one of the cheapest dd-wrt capable, AC, gigabit, USB port with a Broadcom CPU router available. The ~316 mbps WAN-LAN speeds is good enough for most people not on a gigabit fiber internet connection if you can overlook a few of the issues.
greg_t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Great 5Ghz Speed, SLOW 2.4Ghz speed Reply with quote
So I got 2 of these, and immediately put DD-WRT on both. Now one of them is an AP (2 SSIDs for 2.4Ghz (one virtual), 1 SSID for 5Ghz), the other is a wireless client over 5Ghz radio. The 5Ghz band works great, I get all 30Mbps down that I get form comcast. Recently however, the 2.4Ghz radio is very flakey - slowed down to 1-2Mbps (before it was about 16Mbps). Today, I upgraded the firmware to today's version, to no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My last resort would be to connect a dedicated 2.4Ghz router to the AP over wire to provide 2.4Ghz network.

-gt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: