Help trying to retrieve Asus RT-N66U flashed with wrong FW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fe1509
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:15    Post subject: Help trying to retrieve Asus RT-N66U flashed with wrong FW Reply with quote
hello

I'm wondering with someone could help trying to bring back to life my nt-n66u which i accidentally might bricked when trying to upload dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U which has 32k CFE on the 64k CFE version that was already installed.

the actual state of the router is that only the power led lights up, steady, and also the lan leds when my computer is connected, and i can't access the webgui or telnet or even ping in that state.

I've gone through a lot of research here in the forums and the peacock thread and got the router to responde to ping when its is in recovery mode (turning it on with the reset button pressed) (power led blinking slowly) giving me a ttl=100.

*edit: my post have been cut in the middle, so i'm completing it

So, with the ping response i've tried to upload the stock firmware and Merlin's version of it through the asus recover utility, but it's doesn't finds the router, then, i've tried to upload using tftp but i could only manage to upload the dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U FW successfully.
I've then wait for about 10 minutes and did a power cycle, but router went back that steady power light and no ping, etc.

I'm using mac os to ping and access the webgui through safari, and a win7 on a VM to flash the FW using tftp.

Any ideias?

Last edited by fe1509 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you get the ttl=100 ping, try using the asus recovery tool with the stock firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Malachi thanks for your answer, i've tried this before could please that a look the the edit i've made on my post?
half of what i've posted early was cut for some reason Smile
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
In recovery mode you can set a static ip on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, gateway 192.168.1.1 and go to 192.168.1.1 on your browser.

Upload firmware of your choice from there.
fe1509
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've tried to go to the webgui using safari, chrome, IE but i can't get the site to open also :/
wrooster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've gotten into that state a few times the past few days. What reliably works for me to enter recovery from any starting state is to...

• Disable computer's WiFi.
  • Connect Ethernet cable from computer to port 1.
  • Set computer's static Ethernet IP address to 192.168.1.12; gateway 192.168.1.1.
  • Start a indefinite ping to 192.168.1.1. (It will be unreachable or time out based on lack of connection, irregardless if the link LED is lit.)
  • Power off.
  • Hold down WPS button and power on.
  • Wait at least 10 seconds.
  • Let go of WPS button and immediately press Reset button.
  • Release Reset button after you see a successful ping, TTL=100 (takes a few seconds after first pressing Reset button).
  • Pings should continue to succeed. The ASUS Recovery web GUI should then be available at 192.168.1.1; also the ASUS Recovery Utility executable should be able to find and connect to the router.

I believe you may only upload a .trx file via the ASUS Recovery.

After flashing a dd-wrt file, enable WiFi and see if you can connect to the router wirelessly. After flashing dd-wrt LAN has been unresponsive for me.
fe1509
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
YESSSS!! solved it !

i used a pc with windows 8 to try recover the router using the recover tool, i tried to flash the stock FW and nothing happened.

i then tried to flash the k3.x version and DONE! it's working again!

so fucking happy!

thank everyone for the help!

for those with the same problem, keep trying, if you got response on ping, there's hope!

edit:

DONT TRY TO USE A MAC !
virtual machines with linux or win won't work... use a pc and get the job done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: