Linksys WRT1900AC/Marvell support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 152, 153, 154  Next
Author Message
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 906

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
went to look for other articles and one article is saying that it will be using the intel atom...still some hope in getting dd-wrt support for this?

http://semiaccurate.com/2014/01/06/linksys-wrt1900ac-spritual-successor-wrt54g/

this article was posted yesterday too.

_________________
Is everything okay?

WDS AP - R7800
WDS STATION - R7500V2
Sponsor
srwal
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be interesting to know if Linksys develops and releases OpenWRT firmware for the Smart Series routers. e.g. EA6500/EA6700 etc
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 906

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
srwal wrote:
It would be interesting to know if Linksys develops and releases OpenWRT firmware for the Smart Series routers. e.g. EA6500/EA6700 etc


i would have to say a maybe. because buffalo has their own firmware and then their own custom dd-wrt firmware.

_________________
Is everything okay?

WDS AP - R7800
WDS STATION - R7500V2
valent
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Location: Osijek, Croatia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I really like is SATA port, I didn't see SATA port on none router s far, even ones you linked for comparison.

What I really hate is the price, 300$ is too much.

My prediction is that after they figure out there is no way this thing will sell at that price point they will ship a "light" version with almost same specs at ~150$ price range
majortom1981
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
i still dont get it.

what i want to know is, what is keeping the dd-wrt devs from making a working firmware for marvell based routers? does marvell have no linux drivers at all? closed source? more of a pain than broadcom?

EXPLAIN. YO. SELF.


Why should we add support for marvell if there are only ~1-3 routers out there with a marvell radio. LOL

I know exactly one router with a marvell radio: WNR854T
The radio part is not supported in any 3rd party fw.

There are probably a few more routers out there with a marvel radio, but at least I don't know any of them while I can name at least 20 routers with a broadcom or atheros radio without looking it up:-)

Belkin has to put effort into this to get Opensource support for it, just saying hey we give out an SDK with binary blobs + a router is not really attractive if this thing uses a marvell radio. The other thing is their own firmware will need time too, thus might be buggy for a long time.

But lets stop guessing we will probably get more info soon, lets not bash this new router before it is out.


The ea4500 has a marvel chipset. also other sites have gotten the Linux drivers for the radios in it. all that is needed is a custom dd-wrt. heck people even have gotten root access using a usb stick to the router.

If this router is similar it wont be hard to port dd-wrt
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7632

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
majortom1981 wrote:

The ea4500 has a marvel chipset. also other sites have gotten the Linux drivers for the radios in it. all that is needed is a custom dd-wrt. heck people even have gotten root access using a usb stick to the router.

If this router is similar it wont be hard to port dd-wrt


Please follow up and tell us when you have done the porting.

_________________
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
srwal
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I asked Linksys if the current Linksys EA Series routers with AC wireless will be getting OpenWRT firmware and this was their official response.


"Hi, the current EA series routers with AC wireless doesn't support OpenWRT. The soon to be released WRT1900AC is the only Linksys AC router that is open source ready."
jalyst
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 200
Location: oz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi, the current EA series routers with AC wireless doesn't support OpenWRT.


Key phrase being: "the current"...
Hopefully that'll change with the nextgen EA series, it'd be a shame if they limited it to just one device from a entire range.




Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
srwal wrote:
I asked Linksys if the current Linksys EA Series routers with AC wireless will be getting OpenWRT firmware and this was their official response.


"Hi, the current EA series routers with AC wireless doesn't support OpenWRT. The soon to be released WRT1900AC is the only Linksys AC router that is open source ready."


OpenWRT, ehh... I've never been a fan of OpenWRT.

TomatoUSB > DD-WRT > Stock > OpenWRT

OpenWRT just isn't great in my opinion.




Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
NoobWRT wrote:
OpenWRT, ehh... I've never been a fan of OpenWRT.

TomatoUSB > DD-WRT > Stock > OpenWRT

OpenWRT just isn't great in my opinion.


In many (not all) instances it's the base for other distros, so regardless it's a great thing.
Starting with it will spawn other UX's on top of work done for it...
It's primary focus/purpose has always been as a meta-distro...


I'm aware, just throwing in my opinion.

This is a DD-WRT forum, I have MANY routers with DD-WRT, just one with TomatoUSB (RT-N66U) and honestly it kicks DD-WRT's ass, I've never been able to get OpenWRT running stable, maybe I was doing something wrong, maybe not. Oh well.

The list of my routers is too large, hence why it's never in my sig. I'd be typing for days.
tedm
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 287

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35    Post subject: Need a port to this Reply with quote
I'm gonna point out a few things here:

The WRT54G shipped in 2003 at $149 SRP - the SRP for the WRT1900AC is $249. Give it 3 months after release - which is coming in 3 weeks - and it will be discounted at Target and Walmart and places like that to around $199 - which makes it the same price as the WRT54G when it was released - adjusted for inflation.

This isn't gonna be a high end router. It's aimed at the same market as the WRT54G was. It's aimed at the same market the Netgear R7000 is today. And it's going to sell for a similar price as the R7000

OpenWRT is shipping as an option with it, right on the CD.

The thing has a 1.2Ghz ARM CPU and 128 MB of Flash and 256 MB of DD3 RAM, same as the R7000

This is the first product released AFTER the Belkin acquisition. Belkin didn't buy Linksys for 300 million (that sale closed a week ago by the way and was initiated late last year) just to pee away the name. They know their own networking products are junk. They will simply allow those to fade away as they move Linksys into the vanguard.

Anyone remember the HP Netserver? No ya don't, do you. The Netserver was HP's top of the line server when they bought Compaq. Today, HP's top of the line server is the Proliant - that name came from Compaq. Belkin will do the same.

I know dd-wrt doesn't want to heavily invest in binary blob drivers. But, Belkin/Linksys wants to expand market share and the marketing they are doing with the WRT1900AC is direct to the hobby/network admin market. They know that most people who buy these routers ask their "techie" friends for advice so the key to expanding their share of the market is to sell to those people.

It's going to be hard to justify waiting for dd-wrt to people who bought the WRT1900AC when openwrt is available.

We need a port to this device.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29    Post subject: Re: Need a port to this Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
I'm gonna point out a few things here:

The WRT54G shipped in 2003 at $149 SRP - the SRP for the WRT1900AC is $249. Give it 3 months after release - which is coming in 3 weeks - and it will be discounted at Target and Walmart and places like that to around $199 - which makes it the same price as the WRT54G when it was released - adjusted for inflation.

This isn't gonna be a high end router. It's aimed at the same market as the WRT54G was. It's aimed at the same market the Netgear R7000 is today. And it's going to sell for a similar price as the R7000

OpenWRT is shipping as an option with it, right on the CD.

The thing has a 1.2Ghz ARM CPU and 128 MB of Flash and 256 MB of DD3 RAM, same as the R7000

This is the first product released AFTER the Belkin acquisition. Belkin didn't buy Linksys for 300 million (that sale closed a week ago by the way and was initiated late last year) just to pee away the name. They know their own networking products are junk. They will simply allow those to fade away as they move Linksys into the vanguard.

Anyone remember the HP Netserver? No ya don't, do you. The Netserver was HP's top of the line server when they bought Compaq. Today, HP's top of the line server is the Proliant - that name came from Compaq. Belkin will do the same.

I know dd-wrt doesn't want to heavily invest in binary blob drivers. But, Belkin/Linksys wants to expand market share and the marketing they are doing with the WRT1900AC is direct to the hobby/network admin market. They know that most people who buy these routers ask their "techie" friends for advice so the key to expanding their share of the market is to sell to those people.

It's going to be hard to justify waiting for dd-wrt to people who bought the WRT1900AC when openwrt is available.

We need a port to this device.


This not going to fly from the sky. First comes a unit then comes a port.

Regarding openwrt support for it. Just delivering it on the cd does not mean it is maintained by the community it also does not mean, there is a maintained repository for packages, without it openwrt is only half as good. Basically this is as bad as devlivering their own fw.

In my opinion the whole thing is just a marketing gag. If you want this product to be successful you have to contact the leading developers in this area and provide them with hardware.

As far as I can tell Belkin/Linksys did not do that. They are just using the buzzword open source support.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
tedm
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 287

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 16:30    Post subject: preorders Reply with quote
>By the way, can you point to legit source which >verifies this device will be on-shelves in 3wks?

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId553965VVviewprod.htm

"estimated ship date april 13th"

What your seeing here is the typical viral marketing campaign - almost like they hired "Viral Marketing Inc." to promote it. That is, make a big announcement then say nothing else, take a bunch of preorders then ship them all at once.

They know that a lot of techs will preorder and the minute these drop, people will be posting disassembles of them online. They really only have 1 shot at this, you know. Otherwise, people will just say that Belkin is just going to run Linksys the same way that they run their own wireless products - that is, crummy firmware, terrible reputation, closed source - and they probably won't recover from it.

But imagine this - what if they drop this router, then when interest is at a fever pitch they make an openwrt SDK available that has an OPEN SOURCE driver for the Marvell chipsets? Can you imaging the buzz? Not only would we have all the means to port dd-wrt to it, both openwrt and dd-wrt will be able to take that and open up a whole list of older routers that have Marvell in them.

That would be the kind of game-changer that Belkin needs to revive Linksys's name.

None of the Openwrt devs has an early sample of the device either. It should be obvious why Belkin/Linksys hasn't contacted anyone in either community already - they know that none of the devs would sign an NDA, and anything that was important - like whether or not there's a JTAG port on the device that's ready to hook up to - would be talked about on the forums. They want to keep all of this secret because they want a jump in front of their competition.

They don't need to provide hardware to the developers, what they need to provide is the right things in the hardware - and the right bits in the source. How many other companies out there - Airlink, Netgear, etc. - begrudgingly provide the GPL code they are required to - and say absolutely nothing about openwrt or ddwrt? A lot. The fact that Linksys is trumpeting OpenWWRT compatibility in the marketing literature means they are going way, way out on a limb, here. If it's a cheap marketing gag to sell a couple dozen routers to ddwrt and openwrt people in those communities that are otherwise unhackable, that will blow up in their face and it will be far worse than if they simply ignored those communities with this router.

One early indicator I think is that the antennas are detachable, that is a good sign.
jalyst
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 200
Location: oz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Re: preorders Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId553965VVviewprod.htm

"estimated ship date april 13th"


Ohh nice, bed time now but hopefully this is shippable to Oz too!?
Be mighty pissed if we're overlooked, once again, & hopefully there's no "slippage"!?

Quote:
One early indicator I think is that the antennas are detachable, that is a good sign.


How's that a good indicator that the OpenWRT angle's little more than a gag?
jalyst
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 200
Location: oz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we only ship within Canada at this time.


Thank You For Your Business,
xxxxxxxxx
Store Manager


Ugh... Rolling Eyes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 152, 153, 154  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 154
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum