not sure where to post this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
slreno
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:17    Post subject: not sure where to post this Reply with quote
does anyone know if this old ass router will take dd-wrt
it is called a orinoco lucent rg100
Sponsor
docbones
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is for open wrt - but it is nice that it gives you specs on the boxes. http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware If it is supported on open, it may eventually covered here.

Rule of thumb is it has to have 2mb flash space - 4 preferred.
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you are likely referring to the RG1000. I have one of these still myself. They were available rebranded by HP (as mine is) and others, and there were later model variants as well. Basically these are equivalent to the original Apple Airport models, and can in fact run certain Apple firmwares using specific flash loaders.
It is supposedly possible to run x86 Linux on it, but it requires loading the firmware over an NFS network at every reboot due to the limited onboard flash (512k). I've never tried it myself.
There is/was proprietary firmware for sale (Karlnet) which allows these to run in a point-to-point bridge mode, and maybe allows other function, but I never tried it.
Last thing I did with mine before putting it into mothballs was to flash it with the AP-500 (or was it AP-1000?) firmware, which allows for more setup options, such as Radius authentication to go with the WEP, SPI firewall, etc.
If you haven't seen it already, there is lots of info here: http://www.seattlewireless.net/OrinocoRg1000
as well as other sites you can find with a google search, though many of the links are becoming very stale now.
It was a decent little unit hardware wise for the time, cursed with miserable firmware out of the box. With the AP firmware it still makes for a viable "b" access point, unless you need WPA type security etc. This is partly why I held onto mine, in case I ever needed it.
slreno
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have read tha it can be a wireless client bridge by itself with any firmware flashes. but i have yet to be able to get the setup to work.. it is a very confusing set of instructions Smile
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are we talking about the same unit? Is it this: http://www.murgatroid.com/rg1000/rg1000.htm ?
If it is, and if you are saying the stock firmware will do client bridge I'm sure you are mistaken, and I'm fairly certain that I've discussed all of the available options above. With only 512kb of flash to hold firmware, the options are limited. Of course if you know something concrete that I don't, I'd be happy to hear about it! Prove me wrong (please)! Laughing What "instructions" are you trying to use? Maybe you are confusing the terms "residential gateway" with "client-bridge"?
slreno
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i put in the cd it says the it can be used as a wireless bridge.. and that is the option i have tried to get to work.. i am assuming it is talking anout the same client bridge i am wanting. i already have a fon flashed and working as a wireless client bridge and i was wanting to get this to do the same..
but the cd did mention wireless bridge and so does this web site.
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:6YxSOs7-aewJ:www.murgatroid.com/rg1000/rg1000.htm+ORiNOCO+RG-1000+setup+software&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like you are confusing "BSS mode (also known as infrastructure mode) bridging". All that means is that it will bridge between wired and wireless connection. It does NOT mean that it will operate in client mode. So, you can use your dd-wrt flashed FON as a client to bridge a device tthrough the RG1000 access point. You can not run the RG1000 as a client. Sorry to burst your bubble!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: