Airlink AR430w flashing instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
brandon30x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that the windows telnet client has trouble with <ctl> c. People have suggested that putty be used instead. Luckily putty is available for windows, no installation required! Very Happy

Putty download page.

-Brandon
Sponsor
maxm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:28    Post subject: Re: any success using WindowsXP? Reply with quote
Bubalettow wrote:
Ok, I have fiddeled with this router for about two days, I followed as many instructions as I could then i hit a wall wien I had to hit [ctrl] + "C". All I get are hearts, not that hearts are bad but they don't help my cause any.

I started to notice that people were only having success using linux, I don't have linux, ok well not true, but I don't feel comfortable using linux. I use windows and I was under the impression that someone has had success with telnet in windows. If i am mistaken, sorry tell me it can't be done and I'll move on, otherwise can we get a detailed "how to" using windows functions.

You might want to try putty on windows for the telneting. Just google it to download.

maxm
brandon30x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:44    Post subject: OT: Possible bug Reply with quote
This is slightly off-topic, but I didn't want to post a new thread about this because I cant pin point what the problem is exactly.

Tonight I think I corrupted my nvram causing dd-wrt to not boot.
I was having intermittent connections to the internet and an ssh session to another computer on the lan. I seemed to notice the interference when my little brother brought his Nintendo DS near my laptop. But this evidence is anecdotal at best.

The last thing I did was change the wireless network mode from mixed to b-only (hoping to eliminate interference). I clicked "save". Then I power cycled. The router never came back up after several attempts. Fortunately I was able to get into the bootloader and reload the firmware from using the same steps for flashing starting from the firmware loading section.

Just FYI,
-Brandon
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07    Post subject: Re: any success using WindowsXP? Reply with quote
Bubalettow wrote:
\I don't have linux, ok well not true, but I don't feel comfortable using linux. I use windows and I was under the impression that someone has had success with telnet in windows. If i am mistaken, sorry tell me it can't be done and I'll move on, otherwise can we get a detailed "how to" using windows functions.

See comment above about using a Linux distro that does not touch your HD, it runs from the CD/DVD. Many people like Ubuntu, I still like the old Knoppix. The only issue with going this route is the TFTP root directory, you'll have to make that on a USB memory stick or something similar. Well, I guess you could just do a soft link to the directory on the windows partition where you have downloaded the files to ...

Whatever you do, good luck. I am going to try tomorrow. Hope I don't add to my brick collection.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to upgrade my AR430W! Cool . And I did it on an XP machine! The whole process took about 45 minutes(because I kept checking my spelling!) I used puttyTel for windows as the telnet client. Just follow the instructions.. (thanks brandon30x!)

Jason

Linksys WRT54G V3.1
Buffalo WHRG125
Airlink+ AR430W
All Running DD-WRT!
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
can someone plz update

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Airlink.2B

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successfully flashed from windows using puttytel and the instructions from the post in this tread. I used a switch between the computer and the router as my NIC was to slow to come up and I'd miss the connect window.

Thanks y'all.

The interface seems rather slow, but all works well, and I am currently using it as a client bridge to a V23 SP2 Linksys. I finally got rid of the damn WEP which I had to use because that's all my Omnifi DMS1 supported.

Now, if I can flash the VPN version of the firmware, I'll have to keep an eye on Fry's and try to snag a few more of these babies at US $9.99.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:

Now, if I can flash the VPN version of the firmware, I'll have to keep an eye on Fry's and try to snag a few more of these babies at US $9.99.

The bad news is that the $9.99 price was a one time thing due to Black Friday sales (for those who don't know, Black Friday is the day after the US holiday of Thanksgiving).

The good news is, that Fry's puts these things on sale for $19 every couple weeks or so, and this weekend is one of those times.

So if you have a Fry's near you, it should be $19 until Tuesday the 11th of December (your local Fry's may vary, so look for the ad in your local paper).

Here's an online copy of this weekends ad for this router:

http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2007/12/07/28462.html
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the Fry's info. At one in Renton they have had them for $9.99 in the past, and the "matching" PC cards for $7.99, just as on Black Friday. I am hoping they will repeat ...

Mind you, $19.99 for a VPN router, if the VPN version works OK, is also a good price. Also, these routers seem to have a better range than my Linksys and my Motorola, so they make for good repeaters/bridges.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:
Thanks for the Fry's info. At one in Renton they have had them for $9.99 in the past, and the "matching" PC cards for $7.99, just as on Black Friday. I am hoping they will repeat ...

Fry's usually will do this kind of sale again before X'mas. So, watch for the ads.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:38    Post subject: Flashed Airlink-101 AR430W Reply with quote
Alright guys, I got it!!! Very Happy now for future firmware updates am I able to use generic dd-wrt firmware or do I still need to find specific Airlink-101 AR430W firmware? also not that it is real important but I kinda liked that 3d site survey tool? I knew it was in the v24 rev 5 generic, I had that on my airlink+ router. anyway thanks for the help, the putty tip was the key.

-Bubalettow
dxt55
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:
Also, these routers seem to have a better range than my Linksys and my Motorola, so they make for good repeaters/bridges.

I have a TiVo and Singbox that I would like to connect to my network wirelessly. Can I use one of these AR430W as a bridge for both of them, or do I need one AR430W for each? And is it easy to set it up as a bridge?
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
dxt55 wrote:
I have a TiVo and Singbox that I would like to connect to my network wirelessly. Can I use one of these AR430W as a bridge for both of them, or do I need one AR430W for each? And is it easy to set it up as a bridge?

You can use one for both. In fact, you can connect up to five devices to your bridge. As for ease of setup ... just follow the wiki and you should have it working in a few minutes.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
campigenus wrote:
dxt55 wrote:

You can use one for both. In fact, you can connect up to five devices to your bridge. As for ease of setup ... just follow the wiki and you should have it working in a few minutes.

Awesome, thanks!

I wonder how DD-WRT performs on this vs. the typical Broadcom-based routers from Linksys and Buffalo.
ldheinz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
dxt55 wrote:
campigenus wrote:
dxt55 wrote:

Awesome, thanks!

I wonder how DD-WRT performs on this vs. the typical Broadcom-based routers from Linksys and Buffalo.

Keep in mind that's AFTER upgrading to dd-wrt. It won't do bridging without the firmware upgrade.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: