Best Buy's UNREAL black friday deal!! You wont believe it!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
lastlaugh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:15    Post subject: Best Buy's UNREAL black friday deal!! You wont believe it!! Reply with quote
I have been stalking around on these boards for a while, but have never registered until now. I had to post the deal I got at Best Buy in Rocky Mount, NC last night. I got 2 WHR-G125's, 1 WHR-HP-G54, and a WZR2-G300N all for 75$!!! I have the pictures of the unopened boxes, (except one of the 125s which I am currently using, and the receipt to prove it!) I thought they had rang them up wrong, but was told that it was an unannounced 1 day only deal. Here is the exact prices:

WHR-G125 = 14.99
WHR-G125 = 14.99
WZR2-G300N = 19.99
WHR-HP-G54 = 20.99

Subtotal = 70.96
Sales Tax 6.25% = 4.79
=================
Total = 75.75

Until last night, I have used only WRTs and was very happy with them; but I just couldn't pass this deal up! (And I definitely can tell a difference in the reception of the router.
Sponsor
lastlaugh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently in a hotel for the next 2-3 weeks and am stuck with the hotels wireless signal (barely 1 bar of signal on my laptop) as my only internet. I immediately set up DD-WRT v24 on the g125 and set it up in repeater mode. It works ok, but I am getting pretty erratic signal. (It was doing the same with a WRT v4 that I have also.) So, I set it to another SSID that was nearby with a very weak, but steady signal. I'm getting a pretty steady signal now, but slow. My question is, would it be better to use the HP-G54 or the G125 (either would be in Universal repeater mode). Also, as it may be a determining factor, I am on an Air Force base. Thanks in advance!

PS- I think I may have found a new home on this forum! I am a tech controller (Network Infrastructure Technician / Network Security) in the AF, and LOVE to talk networking!
LLigetfa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
lastlaugh wrote:
I am a tech controller (Network Infrastructure Technician / Network Security) in the AF, and LOVE to talk networking!
Ain't it a bitch... the first tenet of security is secrecy so you're not supposed to talk about it. Rolling Eyes

I haven't tried the G125 but I heard it has very good receive sensitivity. What does it have for antenna dBi? At least the HP has a removable 4dBi antenna you could replace with something better. I'm still trying to sort out how the amp works in the HP. In testing antennas, when I swapped the 4dBi with a 9dBi, I got a 10dB improvement. Go figure!
lastlaugh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol, the network security we deal with is usually WELL beyond what a typical business/corporate admin might encounter! Anyway, I just set up AutoAP on the G125, and it seems to be a little faster now. I still have the other devices I mentioned above, but would rather not open them yet unless the HP is significantly better at repeater mode. (I'm planning on a MUCH bigger wireless setup as soon as we close on our home.) As far as the dBi on the G125, honestly is has been awhile since i have converted dBi, dB, dBrn etc, and I have no idea how to tell it on these routers! Where would I find it?And thanks for the prompt reply!
LLigetfa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was hoping you may have specs on the antenna since I cannot find any specs on the antenna on the Buffalo site. Looking at the picture, it looks the same as the stock 2dBi that ships with many of their routers. By comparison, the HP ships with the 4dBi that has a recognisable stepped segment look.
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/wireless-accessories/4-dbi-detachable-high-gain-omni-antenna/

You may try the EZ-12 reflector but don't expect the gains the author claims.
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

In my testing, I was seeing about 3dBi improvement but with the HP's LNA, I'm not sure if AGC is not affecting the test. Make sure you select the correct antenna in DD-WRT or you may be seeing the test results for the internal antenna. It confused me at first.
lastlaugh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Believe it or not, I made one of those reflector antennas and it almost doubled my signal! It took a lot of adjusting, but it worked miracles!
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 20:16    Post subject: Reflectors Reply with quote
Hi,

I know, i was travelling in Spain, and almost stucked in thi skind of situation as you are, and that reflector did solve my issue...

I recognize i was sceptical before using it.. but real world talks...

I will recommend you using the WHR-HP-G54 and to have a look at the settings (boardflag) for the RX Amp and enhancing the signal. Here is the link :

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-HP-G54#Built-in_amplifier

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
lastlaugh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies! I made the reflector last night with the back of a notebook of paper, and aluminum foil! It took me all of 3 mins maybe, and another 3mins to adjust once it was there. It doubled my signal on my xbox wireless adapter! As for the other problem I was having, it seems to be a lot better now that i have AutoAP enabled. I am ale to play XBOX live without any lag where as before, it was almost unplayable.
I know this is off topic, but I checked today and it seems that the house I am buying is serviced by time warner cable. Anyone have any experience with it as an ISP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: