FIOS advice. **[FIOS router Configuration Solved]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok...It is a 2 year contract for $99 (plus box fees) The standard STB is $5.00/mo. I only have the one box (HD box is $10/mo)....I ordered a Motorola QIP6416 HD DVR on Ebay and expect it tomorrow. They can just enable this box over the phone via MoCA. I'll pay the connection fee but save the $20/mo rental on there box. (same unit)

The Comcast I had did provide up to 97 channels without a box...however, this was all analog programming. The FIOS is digital from 50-900. 2-49 is STILL analog. The Digital channels are MUCH cleaner. The high 800's are HD of local channels. (at least in my Area here in the NorthEast)

Back to your question.....The LAN portion of the AT router is on 192.168.1.1 The WAN portion is on 192.168.0.200. I would imagine there are other ways to connect this through LAN to LAN...but what I supplied here does work....probably through NAT tables on the AT router. I am not filtering MultiCast or NAT redirection on the dd-wrt router.

See...I had problems you described with Comcast people....they are the most inept people I have ever dealt with here in the Greater Boston area. I took the Cable/Phone POS box back to them yesterday....they didn't have a CLUE what it was when I dropped it off. The receipt says "returned Tan Box".....duh?

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Your next step is to configure QOS so that the actiointec gets top QOS priority for your STBs.

I am really confused by this. I don't have a clue what service to choose....if any.

I know I should use 17000kbps/4400kbps for my download/upload settings...but the services part is confusing to me.

Take a look and tell me what you think.....the MAC address is the WAN address from the ActionTec.

[NOTE-12/15/07] Attachment deleted to avoid confusion....new setup picture is listed later in this post.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 16:30; edited 1 time in total
HowardZ
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am no expert on QOS, I had great difficulty this past summer trying to do QOS based on the service.

It looks very easy to do QOS based on the Action-Tec's IP address
Net mask priority
192.168.1.1/32

or you can use the MAC address based priority
(Oh, I see that's what you've done - good job!)

Is "premium" the highest choice?

Since you set the priority based on MAC, you don't need to meddle with QOS based on Services.

However, when I tried QOS last summer, my router would die if I used HTB.
I'd suggest using HFSC - unless you are having good results with HTB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...I see how this works now....I don't have to choose every option on the page.

I have the LAN MAC address now selected (the WAN address is actually the MAC Clone on the dd-wrt router...didn't seem to have much effect)

I set the priority to Premium...it's the highest....I had trouble with HFSC but the HTB gave much smoother results....HFSC would actually get choppy when viewing a VoD.

Here is how I tested the setup.
I ran VoD while downloading a 26MB file....the VoD now runs smooth during the download...I must have done something right by changing to the LAN MAC address of the ActionTec and using HTB for the Scheduler....the file download was a little slower than normal...but I guess that is the point of this whole exercise.

This really is easy....it just takes some getting used to the new features of dd-wrt that I have never used before.

Wiki Entry
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Verizon_FIOS_setup_with_dd-wrt_as_primary_router

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the Wiki you describe how to do a hard-reset on the action-tec router.
Is that necessary?
Does it come from Verizon working with the default username/password?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not necessary....But my AT did work right out of the box...just plugged in with default settings.

I was just providing the process for reset. (pretty much the same as any other unit)

The AT is actually set up (at least in my case) for WAN connection via Automatic DHCP. I have the PPPoE processes disabled on my box....I am not saying this is the case throughout the entire country though.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder if Verizon blocks all voip except their own voip system?
I wonder if Verizon interferes with P2P?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Red,

Let me know if you experience any of these problems

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/verizon_fios.html

sounds scary!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...but if you looked up Comcast, Roadrunner, TimeWarner, or any other service provider...you'd come up with a list of their problems too.

The way I see it...these are a few hundred complaints out of a few 10,000+ that are satisfied.

I'll keep it in mind though....thanx HowardZ.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...so I made some changes to the QoS....I just realized that the Upload speed is first then Download speed....I had them backwards in my configuration. It worked OK....but now....it works even better. I also changed to Netmask Priority from MAC Priority.

[Note] - Wiki changed to reflect this new QoS setup.....Thanx HowardZ for helping me get this going.

redhawk

updated 12/16/07 - WAN port needs to be selected, not the "LAN & WLAN"
updated 01/18/08 - HFSC seems to work better then HTB

HFSC-QoS.jpg
 Description:
QoS for VoD
 Filesize:  116 KB
 Viewed:  14713 Time(s)

HFSC-QoS.jpg

Last edited by redhawk0 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 21:24; edited 1 time in total
frikerts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:53    Post subject: Speed with WRT54GL router Reply with quote
First let me say thanks for a great Wiki on using a dd-wrt supported router with fios rather than the ActionTec. Very easy to follow and worked like a charm.

I ran some wired speed tests before and after I changed my primary router to the wrt54gl. It seems my download speeds are down 4mb from the AT router and the uploads are down 1.5 from the AT router. I have the 20/5 fios service.

I'm running v24 rc5 on the linksys wrt54gl. Any one else using the gl having speed trouble?

Thanks,
Steve
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the 20/5 also. It is probably your RC5 build. there was reports that some of the RC5's had speed issues and I believe Eko patched and made things work faster again. I used the RC5-Eko8442 for the longest time (during my FIOS conversion) My speeds were as advertised.

The below pic was using RC6-Eko8733 (now using Eko8747)....better then advertised on the DL side and always the same on UL side.

redhawk

Speedtest_net.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.41 KB
 Viewed:  15098 Time(s)

Speedtest_net.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk,

Thanks for the advice. I've just upgraded and this has made things much better.

When I configure QoS I noticed that my speeds drop a bit with speed tests. I'm quite happy without QoS running (i.e. the free on demand seems to be streaming fine) . Any other reason to configure this that I am missing.

Many thanks,
Steve
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is something else can may help. I didn't document it....yet....but I turned on the DMZ for the 192.168.0.200 address that is assigned to the ActionTec.

See if that helps you too.

What I found was if...the QoS was not setup properly...then when doing large file downloads, and VOD at the same time....occasionally I would get a "digital" breakup in my video image. It wouldn't happen all the time but when it did...it would be very annoying.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk,

Thanks for clarifying about the VoD. For now I will try to live with QoS to keep the high speeds for browsing. Nice to know there is a solution if I start running into issues with VoD.

That is a great idea about putting the AT router in the DMZ. It makes sense.

Regards,
Steve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: