FIOS advice. **[FIOS router Configuration Solved]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:14    Post subject: FIOS advice. **[FIOS router Configuration Solved] Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I just signed up for Verizon FIOS. I will have a 25Mbps+ connection installed on Dec. 8th. I am trying to mentally prepare now for the switch over to ensure a smooth transition.

What Connection Type is this going to be...Auto DHCP, PPPoE...etc.

Are there any gotchas with the fiber optic connection that I need to be made aware of.

I plan to use my Buffalo WHR-G54S as the main router/AP for the internet connection and host to all the repeaters that I have scattered about the property. I currently run the Std-nokaid Pre-RC5 (8360) firmware on the G54S.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanx in advance.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 18:06; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
HowardZ
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Redhawk,

I have also considered Verizon's Fios service.
Once I even signed up for it, but later cancelled the installation.

The problem is Verizon will eliminate your telephone wires, and your telephone will work over the fiber. You will be given a battery-backup for the TNC which can last only a few hours (less as the battery ages).

So, imagine your home loses electricity. You come home from work, but by then the battery-backup is dead. You have no telephone. You can't call friends or relatives to see if they have electricity and you can sleep there. You can't call hotels to find which have electricity (and heat) and make a reservation. You can't even call the electric company to report the power outage. If someone needs urgent medical attention, you can't even call 911.

The plain old telephone system (POTS) is nearing a century old - and nothing can match it in reliability. The system has electricity priority so people can call emergency services. My POTS has worked during every electricity outage I have had in my area over the past 30 years I have lived here. I once lost electricity for 5 day - but my telephone worked.

Nothing beats a plain phone (not cordless) on the POTS for reliability. not a FIOS provided phone, not a cell phone. If you want communications during a black out - you will miss the POTS phone.

FIOS takes away your plain old telephone system.

Howard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanx for the phone concerns and information, Howard. I am not really that worried about power problems. Living here in the North East, I have the luxury of already have a backup generator. So the power issues are not a major issue to me.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the FIOS Internet specifically.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Verizon is installing the line on my street, and when their done, I'm gonna get FiOS too. Wink Gotta wait 2-4 weeks. Getting rid of comcast 16mbps for the 20+ fios
ziddey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
fios is great. i read about how they were transitioning to dhcp or some sort, but it never worked for my friend. i have him using pppoe with random user and password. it just needs something in there or it gets finicky. works fine. ip changes too often though if router goes down
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure that when they install the FIOS, that they configure it to run through ethernet so u can use a router of ur choice w/ddwrt.

DON'T LET THEM RUN THE INTERNET THROUGH COAX! YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THEIR SHITTY ASS ACTIONTECH ROUTER IF THEY DO THAT!!!!!!!!!

The tech installed mine through coax, so I was forced to use the shitty Actiontech router. 2 hours after he left, I was on the phone to verizon raising hell until they enabled the ethernet jack in the ONT, which I promptly connected my Buffalo W/DD-WRT to and had no problems with ANYTHING since! The tech also on the phone admitted that they purposely use small nat tables so running torrents and other bandwidth intensive apps will fail. I tried to start a single torrent and browse the web at the same time with the Actiontech, and none of the web pages were coming up, it was like my net was dead!

They will resist you and tell you bullshit like how the On Demand and channel guide bullshit for FIOS TV (If you get it) won't work without their router. They are full of shit. There is a way to config the pos router they give you to allow the Set Top Boxes to get onto the LAN and access the net for on demand data and guide data. I am currently able to access my guide and on demand shows with the set top boxes. my main router connected to the net is a Buffalo WHR-G125. the shitty actiontech is acting as a bridge between the STB's and my lan. IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT THEIR ROUTER!

Another major thing is, their router is designed to prevent you from having more than about 100 active connections, because they make it use a 1 kilobyte NAT table!!! Any attempt at torrents or anything else that opens a lot of connections will result in the router being unable to open new connections, and it will seem as if the internet has failed when you use it.

Also, if you research their router, it leaves port 4567 WIDE OPEN on the WAN side to allow them to "help you diagnose internet problems" in other words there is a web interface open with a user/pass prompt thats wide open to anyone on the internet!

It would help out many many people if some effort was made into porting DDWRT onto that shitty actiontech router. It has linux and busybox on it, so it can handle other linux firmwares. Probably the only thing stopping it is that no onw has found a driver for the coax MOCA portion of the router. Its got a intel processor in the later models, that I think runs at 450Mhz, (I'm not sure about flash size and ram size, but I think it has atleast 4 megs of flash).

Anyway, if you get the TV service, I can walk you through how to use the shitty Actiontech router as a Ethernet-to-MOCA Bridge, so that you can actually make use of that high speed connection and have your TV stuff too.

And of course what everyone has said concerning the phone line issues is true. However, I have heard that with some bitching and complaining you can convince them to leave the copper. I think that have to if you have any medical or alarm devices since their box I don't think can transfer telemetry data. (If im not mistaken, the ONT outside is just a VoIP device, and they are xfering ur home lines from copper to it.)

Provided that you can use your own router, you will love the service. I've had it for over 4 months now, and other than the initial issues from me running through coax and their router, everything has been great. It has never yet went down, (The COX cable I had for 'net b4 went down 2-5 times a day, almost every day.) It's just that with them purposely giving u a router with practically no nat table it's like trying to drive a Porsche through a country gravel bumpy puddle filled road.

And try to remember, when they do the install and want to do something in a way that you don't want, they are there to serve YOU, the customer. Don't let the asshat who comes to do the install try to tell you the way something is going to be done on your home. I had the installer for mine want to drill through a wall 5 inches away from my main circuit breaker pannel, without anything to check to see if he would hit anything carrying power, (which he very likely would have. theres stores on the net that you can search and see where similar installers did the same thing and set people's homes on fire). He wanted to do this because "it was the quick and easy way, since the ont is on the other side of the wall" well no asshole, I don't need a fire from you drilling through wires, put it here. I almost though that I would have to kick the prick out, till he finally listened and did what I wanted, and drilled the whole and put the accompanying battery and transformer in the utility room, out of sight.

Hopefully this "rant" on my adventures with FIOS will help you.
Now that I have it and I have it running the way I want it on MY OWN ROUTER, I would never go back to anything else.

If you do a search on the various things I discussed, you will see that I am not just a biased individual who had a super rare unique issue. The 1K nat table is what I believe allows them to give everyone 30 and 50 megabit connections, because they make it so with their equipment you will likely never approach the limit of your connection. If everyone told them to shove that Actiontech up their asses and used their own routers with real nat tables, then it's likely that they would have to upgrade their infrastructure a bit to accommodate everyone actually fully using their bandwidth.

SSB
leftovers
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually the actiontec router is a very nice router...its the crappy firmware it runs that cripples it. If there was another router out there that could do MOCA and run dd-wt im sure we would be all over it.

The action also is not really crippled just has again crappy firmware and requires way to much time to tweak to get good power user performance.

Folks can torrent over it just fine and do so... if you are a power user then yes it wont suit your tastes at all.
s19303cc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 16:48    Post subject: Good info on the ActionTec Reply with quote
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19559467-How-To-MI424WR-Network-Bridge-working-FIOS-TV
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanx guys....I finally got my repeaters working on the FIOS network.

I am not a power user so to keep the Actiontec in the link is not a major problem....It has taken some time to figure out all the configurations of this router though. Not being an IT guy...some of the features are above my expertise....I'll do some Google searches (and wiki searches) as time permits for some of the features/configurations that I am unsure of.

I appreciate all you guys taking the time to assist.

This board is an invaluable service to the dd-wrt project....again thanx to all

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...I got my Buffalo HP-G54 running off the Ethernet port from the ONT.

I need some help setting up the configuration on the ActionTec side. The document listed in the link above indicates that the ActionTec just gets plugged in WAN to my Buffalo LAN port.

Well....that didn't work. I get an orange Internet LED when I fire it up (resetting to defaults first of course)

I tried to set a static IP for the ActionTec to 192.168.1.30 but I can't get the MoCA to work correctly. My VoD doesn't work so I know the router isn't configured properly....and yes...I have the Coax plugged into the line through a splitter....just like it was in my basement.

Any assistance in configuration would be appreciated.

Oh....BTW.....In order to make the Ethernet port from the ONT work correctly....you have to release your DHCP address on the router FIRST...then disconnect it....and THEN plug in any other router....and the same if you want to reconnect the ActionTec.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh....BTW.....In order to make the Ethernet port from the ONT work correctly....you have to release your DHCP address on the router FIRST...then disconnect it....and THEN plug in any other router....and the same if you want to reconnect the ActionTec.

Actually this is incorrect. It didn't work as the Technician told me. After I called them back and got the DHCP released AGAIN.....I found a very knowledgeable Tech (Brad)....this time he told me to use MAC cloning to fix the issue with DHCP leases from their end....So I'll set my dd-wrt router to the MAC address of the ActionTec for my next test.

He also told me that if I put the ActionTec on the LAN port of a dd-wrt router (and this is all off the record) that I had to set the dd-wrt to have a DMZ that the ActionTec resides. (I may need some help with this also, but I think it is fairly easy)....again...bare with me....I am not an IT professional.

I'll give more of this a try tomorrow as time permits....and report back.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that makes it sound pretty easy.
Hope it works well.

Hook your dd-wrt router to the ONT ethernet port
Clone the MAC adress of the Action Tec
Specify the action tec as a DMZ - probably on the DHCP static lease ip address you give the Action Tec. DMZ has an advantage that you don't have to figure out which ports to forward to the Action Tec - DMZ means all ports will be forwarded.

Plug the ActionTec into the dd-wrt router's LAN port.

Sounds good - let us know how well it works.
Who knows - I might be the next person to sign up for Fios?

After that gets working, set up dd-wrt QOS to give the actionTec top traffic priority - based on its IP address.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been doing some more reading from a Google search. It appears that it may be easier than any of this. I missed something in the link above. I had my Linksys set to it's default IP of 192.168.1.1 and the ActionTec is what I changed to 192.168.1.30.....However, the ActionTec needs to be 192.168.1.1 in order to work correctly with the Verizon servers for the MoCA data transfer. Many web sites indicate that if I connect my dd-wrt router to the Ethernet Port of the ONT and set the IP address to a different subnet (192.168.0.1 for example)....set the MAC Cloning to the ActionTec's MAC, plug the WAN port of ActionTec into the LAN of the Buffalo....all should work then....no other config is needed.

I will be trying this first. It is my own impatient fault...I missed this step in the link provided above....I gotta be more patient I guess...I rushed into this too quickly and missed this important step. I'll try this tomorrow and report back. I wish I knew more IT stuff....but I guess I am learning.

Just an FYI.....With the ActionTec connected as the main router my Speedtest.net showed an 10.3Mbps/4.4Mbps connection.....With the Buffalo HP connected as the main unit I got 17Mbps/4.4Mbps. (I have the 20/5 service). I mentioned this to the Fios Tech....he is sending me a new ActionTec also. He thinks I may have a problem with this unit.

[EDIT] - just for reference...here is the link with the setup I plan to use tomorrow.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge~start=320

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow...this was almost too easy. I plan to create a Wiki entry when I get the chance.

Anyway....Set the dd-wrt router up with the MAC Cloned address of the Verizon ActionTec's Broadband Connection Ethernet MAC Address (WAN). (or call Verizon to have them release the DHCP address immediately...but it is easier to switch back to the ActionTec if you use MAC cloning)

I set a static IP address on the dd-wrt unit for the ActionTec (this was not necessary...but if DHCP isn't working correctly then it can't hurt) I gave the ActionTec an address of 192.168.0.200 for the same MAC address (Broadband Connection Ethernet)

Turn off the Wireless on the ActionTec (default IP is still 192.168.1.1) (LAN)
username/password = admin/password (default)

Plug the ActionTec's WAN into the dd-wrt router's LAN port.

Do NOT change the ActionTec's AN IP address from 192.168.1.1. This address is needed to get the Program Guide/Video on Demand from the Verizon Data Server.

That's about it.....simple...easy....and it allows me to control my own network.

With the ActionTec the best connection I got was 10.88 Mbps/4.6 Mbps on a 20/5 service. (they are sending me a new router....this speed is not right)

With the Buffalo HP-G54 running PostRC5-8442 I get 19.88 Mbps/ 4.6 Mbps.

Now....I am happy again....FIOS rocks. TV is crisp and clear/ Phone is static free and reliable/ and now the Internet is Blistering FAST.

My advice....Dump Comcast...time to move into the future.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 17:34; edited 1 time in total
HowardZ
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

I set a static IP address on the dd-wrt unit for the ActionTec (this was not necessary...but if DHCP isn't working correctly then it can't hurt) I gave the ActionTec an address of 192.168.0.200 for the same MAC address (Broadband Connection Ethernet)

Turn off the Wireless on the ActionTec (default IP is still 192.168.1.1)
username/password = admin/password (default)

Great that you got it working.

Your instructions are a bit confusing.
Is the ActionTec router using IP address 192.168.0.200 or 192.168.1.1 ?

How long is your Verizon Fios contract?
Verizon's website shows prices and packages but never specifies the duration of the contract.

Your next step is to configure QOS so that the actiointec gets top QOS priority for your STBs.

P.S. If I go with Verizon Fios, it will be their lowest cost slowest speed service. Which may save me a little money compared to Comcast. Verizon will have to leave my POTS copper wires alone - this might be an insurmountable item for Verizon to agree to. I can see the possibility of switching every year back and forth between Verizon and Comcast to get the best deals.

P.P.S. What I don't like about Fios TV, is that I'd need boxes on every TV in the house - and verizon's website won't disclose the cost for additional boxes. Without the boxes you get very few channels, compared to Comcast without the boxes. With Comcast, don't use any boxes and get SciFi, history channel, TV Land, Disney, Fox news, CNN, and more.

I had so many problems with Verizon Wireless sales people, I was ready to place all our Verizon phones under my car's tires and smash them - pay whatever I have to in termination fees, and never do biz with them ever again. Fortunately, my MBA wife contact the customer fulfillment office, and got the devious overcharges off my credit card. Verizon FIOS leaves so many important details off their web site - I see it as a sign that I'll be dealing with devioius people - I'm not sure I can survive another encounter with their salesforce.

Navigation

Jump to: