Peculiar behaviour on Belkin F5D7230-4 v1000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jbanj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 15:45    Post subject: Peculiar behaviour on Belkin F5D7230-4 v1000 Reply with quote
I am new to DD-WRT. I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 v1000. I have succesfully flashed this unit with the v23_micro_generic (SP1) load.

For whatever it's worth, I did not encounter the same level of difficulties as some users had when flashing this router. I had a direct connection from my laptop to the router. After following the flashing instructions and had a few unsuccessful attempts, I was successful when I initiated the the tftp transfer as soon as I see the four green port LEDs come on. Waiting after 1 second when the active port amber light came on resulted in tftp time out persistently.

After my successful "micro" load flash and playing with it for a while, I decided to upgrade to the Standard and VPN loads, separately of course. I used the web interface for these upgrades and were "successful" both times. Here are my observed "peculiar problems":

1. I have a v1000, but the status display always showed v1444 with all the loads (micro, Standard, and VPN), why?

2. The status display also showed the load as being "micro" even with the Standard or VPN load "successfully" flashed. Is this normal and why?

3. I am not familiar with OpenVPN but I expect to see a tab for configuring OpenVPN but did not see any configuration settings for OpenVPN with the VPN load. Should there be configuration settings for OpenVPN?

4. This is not related to the load. v1000 is supposed to have a 4MB flash. Is there a way to verify that?

I apologize for these newbie questions. Your responses and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks you all in advance!
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it says v1444, then it IS v1444. And has only 2 MB of flash, hence only micro can "take". Explains all.

Label on the box can be misleading.
jbanj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
If it says v1444, then it IS v1444. And has only 2 MB of flash, hence only micro can "take". Explains all.

Label on the box can be misleading.

Thanks for your reply, Eko. I do believe you are correct because I bricked it after upgrading it to v24_micro_generic (I did not set to factory default before upgrading). So I opened the unit and found that it has an AM29LV160D flash, which is a 2MB flash.

The power and WLAN lights flash slowly and it is not responding to pings (I tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 to no avail). I tried numerous times tftp to it but failed. I think I'll have to use the pin shorting measure (don't know which pins yet) in trying to revive it.

Can I still tftp to it even though it does not respond to pings? If so, what address?

I'll keep on reading more and also go to Seattle wireless to get more information.

All additional help is appreciated.
jbanj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am happy to report that my router is alive again.

I misunderstood that I the IP address for tftp as 192.168.1.1 (the IP address set by the DD-WRT load). After reading the article at Seattle Wireless on this router, the tftp target IP address should have been the default IP address that Belkin set, which is 192.168.2.1. Knowing this piece of information, reviving the router through tftp was no problem at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: