vlan help 300n

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
burger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 23:21    Post subject: vlan help 300n Reply with quote
So I'm still learning networking from my college classes and we covered vlans a bit ago but I was wondering how to setup this up in my linksys 300n. The last time I tried this a couple of weeks ago I couldn't do it and some of the information was adding code to the commend shell which just made the routes not connectable. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong info? The vlan wiki for dd-wrt shows ? marks on this model but in the gui it shows all the options that my R2 has and is confirmed on the wiki.

R1 Linksys 300n v1.0 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 std
R2 Linksys WRT54G V5 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 micro

So I have (R1) upfront to the ISP with 2 comps connected via ethernet then I have mine connected via a wireless bridge using (R2) in my room connecting my comp via ethernet. I would like to create a vlan for myself and separate it from the rest of the network.

Another question is, on the wiki in the GUI Tutorial, step 1 it shows a vlan table which I do see in R2 but not in R1 but I do see step 2 with vlan tagging, bridging, etc.. on both routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_%28Separate_Networks_With_Internet%29#GUI_Tutorial

Thanks for any help if its even possible.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't say the exact builds you're using. AFAIK the wrt300n v1 should have the VLAN GUI. If you're using anything older than 14929 then update. If it still doesn't show then try a build higher than 16800.

If that isn't enough to get the VLAN GUI then you'll have to manually enable VLAN support. (wrt300n v1 is not BCM4704 based but the concept is the same)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Enabling_VLAN_Support_for_BCM4704

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT300n v1.0 has a 4704 cpu, v1.1 has a 4705(4785)

If I remember correct from the time K26 builds were tested on older routers then v1.0 wasn't K26-able and the experimental VLAN support we currently have is only available in K26 builds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
WRT300n v1.0 has a 4704 cpu, v1.1 has a 4705(4785)

If I remember correct from the time K26 builds were tested on older routers then v1.0 wasn't K26-able and the experimental VLAN support we currently have is only available in K26 builds.

Oops, I ought to add all the other known BCM4704 models to that guide...

The VLAN GUI fixes have been added to k2.4 as well but they're unrelated to the problem with BCM4704 models. For whatever reason the devs choose not to enable VLAN support for BCM4704 by default. Eko added a nvram variable to toggle it on for some models (which is still half broken on some of them) but on others it has to be done completely manually.

Follow the guide carefully and then you should be able to use the VLAN GUI page.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: