Netgear WNR834Bv2 - is it supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Author Message
MikesTooLz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
give me instructions on how to get it done and where i can get a jtag cable and ill do it.
Sponsor
MikesTooLz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
can someone please build a .chk for us to try.


Code:
===================
 Build code
===================

1. Edit your user profile (On Fedora Core 2, the profile is ~/.bash_profile)
   to include the toolchain paths:

        PATH=/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux-3.2.3/bin:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin

2. Put the file "WNR834Bv2_V2.0.8_2.0.8_src.tar.zip" into a directory of your choice.
   Unzip and untar it with the following command:
       
        unzip WNR834Bv2_V2.0.8_2.0.8_src.tar.zip
        tar xvf WNR834Bv2_V2.0.8_2.0.8_src.tar

3. Copy the "trx" program under "bcm4704/tools" to a location where the user can access, e.g. /usr/bin :

        cp bcm4704/tools/trx /usr/bin

4. Choose one of the following:
   a. To build NA firmware,

        type "export FW_TYPE=NA"

   b. Alternatively, to build WW firmware,

        type "export FW_TYPE=WW"

5. Run the following commands to build image

        cd bcm4704/src/linux/linux
        make dep
        make
        cd ../../router
        make
        make install

6. The final image is "bcm4704/src/router/mipsel/kernel_image.chk".
   User may upgrade to this image using the WNR834Bv2 GUI "Router Upgrade" page.
   
Deaks2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!
_________________
Linksys WRT-54Gv2 - DD-WRT for as long as I can remember!
MikesTooLz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess dd-wrt on this model is a dead subject. No one will even try to build a .chk for us.
raven-au
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
MikesTooLz wrote:
I guess dd-wrt on this model is a dead subject. No one will even try to build a .chk for us.


The last couple of posts are puzzling to me.
What are you actually asking, that someone build Netgear firmware?
Deaks2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am going to un-retire my WRT-54G next week. This Netgear keeps on dropping the wireless connection to my laptop, PS3 and Nokia E51.

Too bad, I would have liked to have had an "N" router with DD-WRT.

Also, even though I have emailed the admin, no one has fixed the wiki which wrongly states that the v2 works with DD-WRT.

UPDATE: Dl'ed the latest Sveasoft build (Talisman v1.35) and it works like a charm. For the initial flash the www-site will create an encrypted Neatgear-style CHK file. Now my Wifi no longer drops out, QoS works properly and I get higher sustained Wifi transfers.

As soon as DD-WRT has WNR834Bv2 support I will install that and of course donate (as always). Too bad they were so slow this time around, now Sveasoft got $25 out of me.

_________________
Linksys WRT-54Gv2 - DD-WRT for as long as I can remember!
raven-au
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deaks2 wrote:
UPDATE: Dl'ed the latest Sveasoft build (Talisman v1.35) and it works like a charm. For the initial flash the www-site will create an encrypted Neatgear-style CHK file. Now my Wifi no longer drops out, QoS works properly and I get higher sustained Wifi transfers.


Is it actually encrypted?
What evidence do you have to support that the file is actually encrypted?
sparkie
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 158
Location: NY USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 0:46    Post subject: chk file Reply with quote
here ya go, just finished building it. (don't think it's gonna do you a lot of good however since it's just netgears default firmware)


kernel_image.zip
 Description:
Built on 2/27/2008

Download
 Filename:  kernel_image.zip
 Filesize:  3.35 MB
 Downloaded:  940 Time(s)

Deaks2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
raven-au wrote:
Deaks2 wrote:
UPDATE: Dl'ed the latest Sveasoft build (Talisman v1.35) and it works like a charm. For the initial flash the www-site will create an encrypted Neatgear-style CHK file. Now my Wifi no longer drops out, QoS works properly and I get higher sustained Wifi transfers.


Is it actually encrypted?
What evidence do you have to support that the file is actually encrypted?

None, except for what the Sveasoft site indicated to me. Also, I spoke to soon, Talisman 1.35 is buggy as heck. The WNR834Bv2 has been sent back to Dell and I am un-retiring my WRT-54Gv2 this weekend.

_________________
Linksys WRT-54Gv2 - DD-WRT for as long as I can remember!
raven-au
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deaks2 wrote:
raven-au wrote:
Deaks2 wrote:
UPDATE: Dl'ed the latest Sveasoft build (Talisman v1.35) and it works like a charm. For the initial flash the www-site will create an encrypted Neatgear-style CHK file. Now my Wifi no longer drops out, QoS works properly and I get higher sustained Wifi transfers.


Is it actually encrypted?
What evidence do you have to support that the file is actually encrypted?

None, except for what the Sveasoft site indicated to me. Also, I spoke to soon, Talisman 1.35 is buggy as heck. The WNR834Bv2 has been sent back to Dell and I am un-retiring my WRT-54Gv2 this weekend.


As far as I can tell the chk has nothing more than an extra header, with some product information and probably a checksum and a some other bits. Nothing more.
sparkie
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 158
Location: NY USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Another Firmware Reply with quote
OK, this *should* be dd-wrt compiled into the chk file from netgears toolkit. (I used dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin from the broadcom/netgear/WNR834B dir of the downloads section)

I'm not overly confident this won't brick your router, and since I'm not home to test this ... test it at your own risk.



WNR834Bv2_02291457.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WNR834Bv2_02291457.zip
 Filesize:  3.35 MB
 Downloaded:  1936 Time(s)

sparkie
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 158
Location: NY USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 22:50    Post subject: Finally. Reply with quote
I have compiled and tested a working version of dd-wrt for the Netgear WNR834Bv2.

(My previous versions do nothing except update you to the latest Netgear firmware so they won't brick out on you... I missed in the makefile where it overwrote my linux.bin with it's own ...woops)

I have attached the zip file containing the chk file that you can flash directly to the router through the web interface.

Included in the zip is a screenshot of it running. 264MHz processor.

It is the dd-wrt v24 RC-6 ( 01/02/08 ) mini - build 8743

It should also be noted, I had to upload it through IE rather than firefox ... firefox didn't like the upload script for some reason and would complain that it wasn't a valid filename.


**Update**

Attempting to flash to a new version will result in the router entering tftp only mode. If you need something other than the mini version, it'll have to be compiled with a compatible chk file header.

**Update 2**

Apparently, the router does not like rebooting from the web interface ... once changes are made, and the router reboots it must be power cycled.



dd-wrt-netgear-WNR834Bv2.zip
 Description:
Finally! :)

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt-netgear-WNR834Bv2.zip
 Filesize:  2.78 MB
 Downloaded:  3882 Time(s)

raven-au
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:58    Post subject: Re: Finally. Reply with quote
sparkie wrote:
I have compiled and tested a working version of dd-wrt for the Netgear WNR834Bv2.


What, re-compiled, just to run a program that adds a 58 byte header to the input image.

You didn't even change the product id to something that includes, say, DD-WRT instead of NETGEAR. You will find that the FCC id plus "_DD-WRT" is the same length as the string netgear uses (just in case there's a check in the bootloader).

The program you used, packet, isn't open source, only the binary is in the tar. What are the copywright implications of this for the DD-WRT folks.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 17638
Location: Hesse/Germany

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
he sparky

now that you have ddwrt running would you plz provide us the cfe and nvram!

_________________
Forum Guidelines...How to get help
&
Forum Rules
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
_________________
I'm NOT rude, just offer pure facts!
_________________
Atheros (TP-Link & Clones, etc ) debrick service in EU
_________________
Guide on HowTo be Safe, Secure and Protect Your Online Anonymity!
sparkie
DD-WRT User


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 158
Location: NY USA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 16:32    Post subject: Re: Finally. Reply with quote
raven-au wrote:
What, re-compiled, just to run a program that adds a 58 byte header to the input image.

You didn't even change the product id to something that includes, say, DD-WRT instead of NETGEAR. You will find that the FCC id plus "_DD-WRT" is the same length as the string netgear uses (just in case there's a check in the bootloader).

The program you used, packet, isn't open source, only the binary is in the tar. What are the copywright implications of this for the DD-WRT folks.



Wow ... Thanks for all your extremely helpful input. Don't you have anywhere else to troll?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum