HERES AN IDEA - One way to reduce overclocking disasters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
GarfieldUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 13:00    Post subject: HERES AN IDEA - One way to reduce overclocking disasters? Reply with quote

Idea? - Can we add a warning when changing overlock speeds...

I have just bricked a router by trying a speed it doesnt support - thinking that particualr unit was a different model.

DD-WRT knows what hardware it is running on, so would it be possinle to have a warning when trying to select an out of range speed. I dont know what the settings are, but maybe just flasg up a static table that says things like..

=================
Model WRT54G V1 - works at 123Mhz only
V2 - 200-216 i ssafe, sometimes worjs up to 240Mhz
Buffalo 1234 Vx - works ups to 262Mhz
THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS ONLY - WE CANNOT GTEE YOUR ROUTER WILL WORK AT ANY OVERCLOCKED SPEED, YOU ARE ON YOU OWN...AT YOUROWN RISK etc etc
===================

Just an idea...

Maybe another option to have set of tick boxes alongside the clock speed combo box;
( ) unrestricted overlcoking
( ) restirt overlcok to commonly supported freqs
( ) disable ALL overlcoking

Just worried about all the landill sites filling up with bricked routers...
Sponsor
Rich-M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about an auto-fall back method. (As long as we are throwing ideas out...heh)
So you would select your speed, reboot, it (tries) to come up at that speed, if it does
you activate the "I like it" option, otherwise you power if off and on and it will go to
a default speed and you can try something else. Just think people with nothing to do
could be trying speeds all day long !

-Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best thing would be to remove this stupid "feature".
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich-M wrote:
How about an auto-fall back method. (As long as we are throwing ideas out...heh)
So you would select your speed, reboot, it (tries) to come up at that speed, if it does
you activate the "I like it" option, otherwise you power if off and on and it will go to
a default speed and you can try something else. Just think people with nothing to do
could be trying speeds all day long !

I don't think you can do this in the firmware. If you power on the router with a speed your CPU doesn't like, it never gets to the stage where the firmware is loaded, so the firmware never gets the chance to reset the speed to a 'good' value.

You can achieve a fall-back type configuration if you flash the router with a custom CFE bootloader via JTAG.
Yasha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
sagichnicht04 wrote:

I wouldn't refer to it as stupid. Most people want to get as much as possible from their particular unit, it's been simply a given that if you screw with it your results are not garanteed. As going thru the motions necessary to flash your unit with dd-wrt you have at least a basic understanding of what your doing and have hopefully read alittle about what it is your trying to do. There is of course the basic concept of "if you don't know don't touch".

I overclocked and bricked mine, but I knew the risks ahead of time. As most that do this, I simply wanted to get every last bit of clock cycle I could out of it and a few days later with alittle help from the forum (hairydairymaid windows compilied version wasn't working correctly) got it back up and running.

Perhaps there is validity to simply putting red lettering in the html above the web interface for altering the clock speed saying something to the effect of "WARNING: Tamper with this at your own risk", but to me that should be redundant to everyone. Smile

waldox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
try putting the unit in the freezer and hope you can boot up and set the clock speed... other wise you need to debrick it... with jtag...i had to do that.... and it was a pain in the ass
Matthiaz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
sagichnicht04 wrote:

Nah, this feature is indeed useful! You just have to use it with care! Like for me, the cpu speed limits my maximum pppoe internet speed with wpa2 enabled. A 1.1Mbyte/sec download uses all the cpu power.
GarfieldUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not a "stupid feature", I think the feature is "fairly useful" when used with caution. If we can get say 5-10% extra oomph for just a extra few hours of Brainslayers work at no extra cost to us then it sounds like a good thing to me...(as long as your dont overcook it)

Its a bit like "chipping" the enigine management unit on your car - people pay $100's for that - at the risk of prematurely killing the engine. If you dont want to chip your car, then just dont. If you dont want to use the overclock feature, then just ignore it.

Yes, the "auto-recovery" idea is a non starter, as the CPU isnt loading its program sucessfully, so wont "know" its not started. Bit of a catch 22 there...
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
waldox wrote:
try putting the unit in the freezer and hope you can boot up and set the clock speed... other wise you need to debrick it... with jtag...i had to do that.... and it was a pain in the ass

HUHH?? Nothing could be easier!! I'd never heard of a JTAG 2 months ago. Now, through a bit of reading and trial and error, I'm building JTAG cables and debricking routers for other people. It's really very simple....kinda like cooking....if you can read, you can do it!!

As for putting a warning on the overclock function, I think that's absurd. Where do we stop? Please don't eat the daisies!! Do not operate vehicle with windshield visor in place!! Birth control pills do not prevent transmission of diseases!! Come on, people....at some point we need to have some common sense!! If you don't know that overclocking can damage your....router...computer....whatever....then you deserve exactly what you get for venturing into uncharted waters. Geee......I wonder what that button does!!

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
GarfieldUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
>>HUHH?? Nothing could be easier!!

Huhh? - it might be easy AFTER youve done it a few times, for yourself and "for other people".....

However, for those of us suddenly sitting unexpectedly staring at a flashing power LED and not owners of JTAG cables, soldering irons, and prior experience I can think of about a million things that are easier... like walking to the shop and buying a replacement router... Very Happy
Rich-M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
GarfieldUK wrote:
I can think of about a million things that are easier... like walking to the shop and buying a replacement router... Very Happy

But whats the fun in that? Razz
GarfieldUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
>>But whats the fun in that?
True. Point Taken. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: