G125 and MMC/SD Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Thinkdiff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:02    Post subject: G125 and MMC/SD Support Reply with quote
I'm trying to get a SD card working on my Buffalo G125. It's loaded with v24 8/15/07.

I mapped the GPIO Ports as follows:

GPIO 1 - Router LED
GPIO 2 - Wireless LED
GPIO 3 - "Internal" LED (On G125, this LED doesn't actually exist, but the connectors are still live)
GPIO 4 - ? Reset? Didn't test it
GPIO 5 - Router On/Off input switch
GPIO 6 - AOSS Orange LED labeled "Security"
GPIO 7 - Diag. LED (the Red one)

I decided to try GPIO 1 as CS, GPIO 3 as CLK, GPIO 6 as Data In, and GPIO 5 as Data Out.

I connected them all up (to the negative end of the LEDs), tested with my multimeter, got 3.3v on most of the pins. Vdd was up at 3.3, Ground was connected. Booted up the router and it gave me a "3,078 KB / 0" reading, I guess meaning it didn't find a SD card.

I put in the manual GPIOs, still nothing. Switched CS to ground .. Still nothing.

Tried a different SD card (first card was a 128 Lexar, 2nd was a 512 SanDisk), still nothing.

Is MMC/SD possible on the G125? Has anybody gotten it to work?

I'm fairly decent at soldering, so I'm pretty sure all my connections were good. The only thing I can think of is the wire I used is very thin. Will doubling up on the wire or using thicker wire help?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Thinkdiff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like it works..

Updated to RC4 (9/21), doubled up on the Vcc connection and then re-routed the wire for DO, and all is good.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome....I was about to undertake the SD mod on my 125. Is there a reason you chose the GPIO layout that you did as opposed to the layout found on other Buffaloes....like the WHR-HP-G54? ( 3=CLK, 6=DO, 7=CS, 5=DI). I'm assuming you did this in part because the data directions are apparently different. I see you used 6 as DI where on the HP, 6 is DO. You used 5 as DO whereas the HP uses 5 as DI. CLK is the same, GPIO 3. You used GPIO 1 as CS instead of 7 like the HP.....is there a particular reason? Just curious.
Thanks for figuring it out!!

Alden

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
jmhalder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just bought my whr-g125 2 days ago, what kinda modder would i be if i DIDNT crack the case open Cool
Thinkdiff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
anectine17 wrote:
Awesome....I was about to undertake the SD mod on my 125. Is there a reason you chose the GPIO layout that you did as opposed to the layout found on other Buffaloes....like the WHR-HP-G54? ( 3=CLK, 6=DO, 7=CS, 5=DI). I'm assuming you did this in part because the data directions are apparently different. I see you used 6 as DI where on the HP, 6 is DO. You used 5 as DO whereas the HP uses 5 as DI. CLK is the same, GPIO 3. You used GPIO 1 as CS instead of 7 like the HP.....is there a particular reason? Just curious.
Thanks for figuring it out!!

Alden

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/SD/MMC_mod

I was basing my choices off the tutorial in the wiki. He also used 5 for DO and 6 for DI, so I figured I should too Wink . As I understand it, the GPIO used for DO must be a switchable input port (GPIO 5), while the others all must be output GPIO ports (the LEDs and such). Doesn't really make sense because shouldn't all GPIOs be capable of both input and output? But nonetheless, that's how I based my choices. Personally, I like to make use of the Diag LED, so I didn't use that one. And 3 isn't even connected to an LED, so that's an obvious choice. I used GPIO 1 as the CS just because the Router LED is pretty useless for me.

Good luck on installing yours.. I think the major problem I was having was a not-so-clean connection on GPIO 5 (DO). I made a much more solid connection and it works great. I reverted back to RC3, so it wasn't a software issue.

Write times to the SD range from 100-400K/sec. Haven't tested read times too much.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks. I hadn't seen that new Wiki entry......thanks for the link. I had a hand, along with Tornado and a few others, in figuring out the connections and mmc module changes necessary to get the HP unit up and running with the SD mod, so I've had a bit of experience with these. I was hoping someone else would do the work on the 125....looks like you came through!! With the new manually configurable /mmc mod (a result of our work on the HP), it makes GPIO assignment much easier. As you said, each GPIO SHOULD work for in or out (since GPIO stands for General Purpose In/Out), it seems that isn't always the case. Thanks again for the work. I've ordered some new SD reader boards (I don't like tearing things apart to steal the boards) so as soon as they arrive and test out OK, I'll put one in my 125. Thanks again!

Alden

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
jmhalder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
so i tore apart an SD adapter i had laying around, dremmeled half of it off, pulled out my solid 20 gauge wire, soldered it to (convienent) solder pads on the half of the SD adapter i had left, glued it, labeled each wire and stuck about 2 inches of heat shrink tubing for rigidity and cleanliness... but i have a question that hasnt been awnsered, the LED's that im using as a I/O, are they to be desoldered BEFORE i solder the wire to it, will it blink on/off when data is xfer'd if i dont desolder em? because of the RATHER small pads, i THINK im just gonne desolder em, might be easier in the long run, is that OK?

and yes, if you were wondering, the spaghetti was very good.
jmhalder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, since this is a fairly fast paced board, ill keep updating minute by minute on doing this mod Laughing till someone can let me know if i can ditch the LED's, or which one should i keep for an "activity" light... i know i read somewhere about using the LED as that, so im guessing that i dont NEED to remove the LED's, earlier in this post you basically say it would be stupid NOT to use the GPIO thats missing an LED... so i think it can go either way, im ALSO guessing you can go either way.

100_2381 [].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.72 KB
 Viewed:  26742 Time(s)

100_2381 [].JPG

100_2380 [].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.23 KB
 Viewed:  26744 Time(s)

100_2380 [].JPG

jmhalder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool Cool Cool had this thing for three nights, its my first router running DD-wrt, and i JUST finished setting up my SD slot... fired up perfectly the FIRST time... although those little SMD LED's were a LITTLE bit of a pain, but whatever... oh, and i awnsered my own question, LEAVE the LED's in there, they act as activity lights.

100_2382 [].JPG
 Description:
WHR-G125 in its natural enviroment, acting as a repeater for my laptop, and a wireless bridge for my xbox 360
 Filesize:  20.18 KB
 Viewed:  26730 Time(s)

100_2382 [].JPG

AxxL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hii..

i'm just purchasing buffalo whr-g125 and i have perform the antenna mod. So, now i want to do the sd-mmc mod. But, i'm confused which point/part in the board should i solder and the corresponding point at the sd/mmc card reader.

I would appreciate if someone could post the board picture of the router which have perform this mod. Thanks.

I'm a newbie so, it is not that i'm lasy to search for it but i really dont know anything about this.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
he guys

it would be nice if someone could add this guide to this wiki page

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-125

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I was just wondering if this mod will also work with microSD cards inside an SD adapter. What about SDHC cards? Anybody know the max capacity card that is compatible?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 21:55    Post subject: Details Reply with quote
These details are great to know about this version of router im looking to do this but im bad with text based guides,

Please would it be possible to make a picture and text guide as this would make it much easier for people like me to do this mod,

Thanks for reading this mod would come in very handy for me hey and is it possible to run ftp servers? and maby others as the cpu speed is not that bad,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: