Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next
jeremiahjw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I tried unplugging, then plugging the unit back in, and also reset it on the back twice (30 seconds).
Sponsor
jeremiahjw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I am having a similar problem as on this thread - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=290691#290691
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeremiahjw wrote:
Looks like I am having a similar problem as on this thread - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=290691#290691

Your router is bricked if all the lights are on and nothing plugged in. You need to jtag. All the light are on, and no one is home.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeremiahjw wrote:
All of the lights on my router are still on...

What do you mean exactly? Are ALL the lan lights lit up?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, no. Only the internet light, and the lights to the computers that are on the network.

When I said "all my lights are on" I meant everything that should be lighting up was, there were not any lights out that shouldn't be out. Sorry for the confusion.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeremiahjw wrote:
Sorry, no. Only the internet light, and the lights to the computers that are on the network.

Ok.. that's good. Now all you have to do (should have to do), is tftp the fw image to your router.

Instructions are in the peacock thread stickied near the top of the forum.

You should only have one cable connected at this point and that would be the cable connected to the rig that is doing the update work with the router. And I am sure you have realized by now, your rig is not getting an IP because the dhcp server is not running on the router till you flash the fw so that requires a static ip set on your rig.

Last edited by barryware on Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:12; edited 1 time in total
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeremiahjw wrote:

When I said "all my lights are on" I meant everything that should be lighting up was, there were not any lights out that shouldn't be out. Sorry for the confusion.

See note 6 and note 11 of the peacock thread and see if you get any ttl responses to pinging, at any time. And start a new thread on this. Link to peacock is in my sig.

Darn. Barryware beat me. (At least Barrymore didn't beat me too!)

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Terenus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:49    Post subject: Re: WRT54GSv7 also Works!! Reply with quote
sigmaxix wrote:
This process ALSO works with the WRT54GSv7 with only a little HEX modification to the vxworkskillerv8!

*Of course, you'll have to reset the router to factory defaults before flashing*

Here's what I did:

1) Log into the WRT54GSv7.
2) Under the Administration tab, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
3) Go back to the Administration tab [192.168.1.1].
4) Firmware Upgrade via the Linksys GUI vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
5) Update will be successful.
6) Manually configure your Network Card to a manual IP something like 192.168.1.77, then Manually configure Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DNS to 192.168.1.1
7) Hold down the RESET button on router for 30 seconds.
8 ) Wait about 30 more seconds, then unplug router.

9) HOLD DOWN reset button, then plug-in router. Then release reset button after 5 seconds.
10) QUICKLY Open command prompt, and use TFTP command:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
11) You will see the activity light on your network indicator "go crazy".
[[If #11 doesn't happen AND you get TFTP TIMED OUT, I had to repeat step 9 then 10 to be quicker]]

12) Wait about 10 minutes, and the TFTP should acknowledge success.
13) Log into DD-WRT Router!!!!

Thank you BrainSlayer + Tornado!!! I just slightly modified your VXWORKS .bin to work this way, too!

GRRRREAT!

I'm having some problems with step 9 and 10, no matter how fast I copy and paste the tftp command I always get timmed out. Any suggestions?
ctovar_ve
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 14:00    Post subject: Re: WRT54GSv7 also Works!! Reply with quote
Terenus wrote:
I'm having some problems with step 9 and 10, no matter how fast I copy and paste the tftp command I always get timmed out. Any suggestions?

Try using the Linksys TFTP Tool.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
jeremiahjw wrote:

Your router is bricked if all the lights are on and nothing plugged in. You need to jtag. All the light are on, and no one is home.
Have been reading and reading...WOW 78 pages.....So if jtag solves brick how is it done?

And tried to read all but if its v8 is it supported? I guess with EON chip that is.
uioxk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33    Post subject: WRT54G v8 Reply with quote
Hi, I tried upgrading my firmware a few days ago and while i was loading it on my router, I lost internet connection and the upgrade got messed up. So i came across this site on how to fix it and read the steps on page 1. The problem is, I cannot get to that option on the router website. When I go to administration then firmware upgrade, the page shows up with a bunch of strange symbols. example "*�뻯���wYo[��L�mX". So can anybody explain what I have to do to fix the problem? I've tried to do a hard reset, also left it off with no power for a half hour and tried to reset to factory settings on the linksys page but still no luck. Please HELP! Thank you in advance.
june09
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

This is cool. Thanks for sharing. I have no more issues now.

Regards,
Jay
Pret travaux
adot111
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25    Post subject: WRT54G v8 Reply with quote
I installed firmware DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro - build 8420 on my WRT54G v8.

Nowadays, the wireless connection is always dropped, I have to keep replug.

I want to update the firmware, but can not see any update link.

Does someone can show me the link for update the 54G v8?

Thanks
richbutler1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 20:12    Post subject: wrt54gv8 upgrd to dd-wrt v24-sp2 (1/16/10) micro any better? Reply with quote
Looked around, any other recommendations for a Linksys WRT54Gv8.0? Can I do a GUI flash now following instructions on installation wiki? Thanks!
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with the announcements at the top of the forum. The peacock thread is invaluable.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 78 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: