DD-WRT micro features vs regular

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Neuralgia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:12    Post subject: DD-WRT micro features vs regular Reply with quote
I own a WRT54G ver 3, which I use with DD-WRT std version. Even though I don't use much of its features, the one I really love id the one that lets me control the signal strength (Xmit Power=70).

A friend of mine, got a new 54G, but version 6 for his cabin somewhere far away. His cabin is a bit big, so he doesn't get great signal strength through the whole house.

He asked me about a solution, without buying a repeater, and I told him about DD-WRT.

My main concern, is that even though I know the diff between micro, mini and std versions (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions), I just don't know if the micro has the signal strength feature.

Any advice?
Sponsor
tomten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:43    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT micro features vs regular Reply with quote
Neuralgia wrote:
I own a WRT54G ver 3, which I use with DD-WRT std version. Even though I don't use much of its features, the one I really love id the one that lets me control the signal strength (Xmit Power=70).
The signal strength isn't a "feature" per se, it's just a setting you enter in the router and that's not normally exposed to end users. You can enter a value for the signal strength in all dd-wrt versions.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
A V5 with Linksys firmware has a power level set to 84mW. So if dd-wrt is installed (and yes...all versions have power settings) then he can only go up to 100mW without the use of additional cooling on the Broadcom device.

A better solution is to get a Buffalo WHR-G54s or G125 use it as the main AP then take the Linksys V5 installed with V24 and set it up as a repeater to broaden his coverage at the cabin.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: