WDS and VAP question

freerj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 14:53    Post subject: WDS and VAP question Reply with quote
Hi all,

Quick question. I have a couple of Linksys routers running dd-wrt with WDS working. On the primary WDS node I have a main SSID setup with security, and a guest SSID setup as a VAP per the how to. I have the guest VAP setup to use a different IP block per the howto etc. works great.

My question is whether the WDS client will also distribute the VAP SSID and network? Anything special I need to do? Is it even possible? The primary SSID is being distributed over WDS fine.

How should it work?

Thanks!
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WDS client can have its own VAP but it will be on a different layer 2 segment than the WDS host's VAP. You can have the VAP's share the same SSID but roaming won't be seamless since they are different layer 2 segments and you should configure them with separate subnets to avoid confusion.

Follow the Multiple WLAN guide using the WAP instructions to configure the WDS client's VAP. It will either need NAT or routing, your choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: