No Internet from dd-wrt wireless bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
jayrod1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 23:38    Post subject: No Internet from dd-wrt wireless bridge Reply with quote
Hello. I'm a n00b so forgive me if I'm not doing something correctly. I recently bought a new router (Linksys EA6300) and flashed my old router (Linksys E2000) with dd-wrt firmware and I'm trying to set it up as a wireless bridge to expand my range. I've setup via this link, http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range+boosting-wi+fi-repeater. I'm able to see my repeater's SSID and I'm successfully connecting to it, but have no Internet connection. My IP of my main router is 192.168.1.1, IP of my repeater is 192.168.2.1. When I connect to my repeater I get an IP address (192.168.2.103). My Gateway and DNS is listed as my repeater. I can't ping my main router so I don't think my repeater is connecting to the main router. I've tried changing my Gateway and DNS in my repeater's config, but did not help. I logged into my main router's interface and I can't see where my repeater is connecting (no connected device showing as connected from that IP).

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've went through the setup multiple times and have the same result, no Internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiki:wds
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those lifehacker instructions are terribly dated. Don’t use “repeater”. Use “repeater bridge” and give the router an IP in the same network as the primary router (e.g., if the primary is 192.168.1.1, perhaps make the repeater 192.168.1.2). Now all your devices either side of the repeater share the same network, same DHCP server, same firewall, network discovery works, etc.

Btw, do a complete 30-30-30 reset before making any changes. Once you do, configure for “client bridge” first, just to get wired clients connected over the bridge first. Once that working, THEN update the mode to “repeater bridge” and add the VAP (Virtual AP) to give your wireless clients access behind the bridge. IOW, do it in two steps. This is a much less error prone approach, esp. for newbs to repeating.

Btw, as Sash suggested, WDS is alternative, but requires both routers be the same firmware (sometimes the same hardware/chipset), often only works w/ WEP or no security, and all around just a bit flakey (esp. if it claims support over WPA/WPA2). WDS is not a wifi standard, so compatibility issues plague it, and why I only recommend it as a last resort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: