Gigabit on ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ramadri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 13:29    Post subject: Gigabit on ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have the following setup:
- computer with gigabit capable network card (RTL8169)
- 5m utp cat 6 cable (just bought it)
- Asust RT-N16 gigabit router, 300Mb wireless.
- New upgrade to internet services from 100Mb to 1Gb

Situation 1:
- plug internet directly into computer, i get around 400Mb dl and 100Mb up = I'm happy

Situation 2:
- plug internet through Asus router, i get 100Mb dl and 100Mb up on wired connection= F-ing mad and frustrated
- wireless my Samsung Note3 and Asus Nexus 7 (2013) devices connect at 72Mb (it also says so in status screen on router). I dont understand why they do not connect to at least 150Mb or 300Mb

Tests so far: latest stock firmware, tomato wrt and now kingkong 22000M firmware.

For lan, i dont see any specific settings to limit or not the output, for wirless i did some tweaks (40Mhz, Channel all from 1 to 9, boost to 50Mwh, N-only)...no succes

Any advice/info/help is more than welcome
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 13:38    Post subject: Re: Gigabit on ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
ramadri wrote:
Hello all,

I have the following setup:
- computer with gigabit capable network card (RTL8169)
- 5m utp cat 6 cable (just bought it)
- Asust RT-N16 gigabit router, 300Mb wireless.
- New upgrade to internet services from 100Mb to 1Gb

Situation 1:
- plug internet directly into computer, i get around 400Mb dl and 100Mb up = I'm happy

Situation 2:
- plug internet through Asus router, i get 100Mb dl and 100Mb up on wired connection= F-ing mad and frustrated
- wireless my Samsung Note3 and Asus Nexus 7 (2013) devices connect at 72Mb (it also says so in status screen on router). I dont understand why they do not connect to at least 150Mb or 300Mb

Tests so far: latest stock firmware, tomato wrt and now kingkong 22000M firmware.

For lan, i dont see any specific settings to limit or not the output, for wirless i did some tweaks (40Mhz, Channel all from 1 to 9, boost to 50Mwh, N-only)...no succes

Any advice/info/help is more than welcome

Wireless width issue has been fixed in newer revisions.

There have been also some tweaks regarding WAN-LAN throughput.

But as this routers CPU is not state of the art it can handle up to 180Mbps with opensource firmwares. With OEM firmware it can do more, because they use hw accelerated drivers, but these drivers don't allow you to use some feratures like advances qos, thus not included in opensource builds.

Currently the fastest consumer router on the market handles around 300Mbps with dd-wrt.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhmmm... yes... Crying or Very sad
Meanwhile i did some documentation on my own and some test using different configuration of PC, laptop, Smartphone.

My conclusion is: (desktop's) CPU plays an important role in getting the maximum out of internet speed provided by ISP. With an i7 quad core 2,2Ghz+8Gb Ram vs and AMD XII 545 3Ghz+4Gb Ram... I've managed to go from 400Mb to 500 Mb ... plugged directly.
About Asus rooter it seems under best circumstances it will not go above 140Mb wired and 72Mb wireless (source: a network blog with thousands of tests).
When they say N300: it doesn't mean sh..t, it's pure marketing. In order to try to reach 1Gb speed Ill need a N900 rooter (even though it is a reference to wireless, it sets a different minimum for wired).

My question to those who are experience in networking, can you make 3 suggestions each for: NIC PCIe, Unmanaged Switch, Rooter (each under 150$) that will get me closer to 1Gb ?? (consider i do 100Mb now with Asus RT-N16). I ask for 3 sugestion as in my country i couldnt find many of top ranked products in similar website, or the articles were to old.

Question 2: Can i put my internet cable into a switch (where!? does it have a wan!?) than one cable to my computer so i will enjoy at least the 400Mb than another towards my rooter so i can have wireless in house!?? Or the only way is rooter first than switch (which in my case its useless)
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
as stated, the biggest limiting factor with DD-WRT and WAN speeds is the fact that the open source drivers aren;t as optimized like the OEM ones in the OEM firmwares. The best performance you are going to get is with the OEM firmware at this point. The real reason for using DD-WRT is if it;s more stable and offers more features than the OEM one. But it;s not going to be "better" by default just because it;s DD-WRT.

As for your questions-There is probably not much you can do to increase wan speed since the bottle neck is the WAN port. Keep in mind that the usual range of performance for 100 mb is about 8-12 Megabytes per second. For Gig, it;s about 23-45 Megabytes. So for a 300 megabit speed, if you divide by 10, you are getting 30 megabytes which falls in the average of what most people achieve.

as for you 2nd question, you could put a switch between the modem and the router but that won't gain you much unless you can get multiple static ips from your ISP. your ISP is only going to allocate 1 ip address via DHCP and that's going to go to either a PC or the Router. Performance could be better if the switch is a managed one and you force the ports to be Gig full Duplex(in case the port is defaulting to half duplex). But most likely this is happening already so like I said, not much to be gained.

now if your ISP provided device is really a modem/router combo, then you could just attach the Asus to that unit and just let it serve wireless devices as an AP but plug your pc directly into the modem/router and get the best speed at that point.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
ramadri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply.
I forgot to specify my type of service.
So, i don't have a modem from my ISP, i have a cable directly to my house with an external IP (which changes every time i disconnect/reconect). The connection itself is off PPoe type. Usually in my country the ISP doesn't care what i do with my Internet once the cable enters the apartament.
My question about switch was made because (I'm still a noob) i thought switches don't have WAN... so i want sure how I'm going to setup my ppoe connection (which requires user and password). I thought, through switch i can send faster Internet to my NIC PCIe... and on another cable to send to my router, so I'd enjoy wireless also. I'd accepted the fact that no matter what i spend I'll never go beyond 72Mb with an N900 router or below, even though they are marketed at higher speeds.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
the switch allows equal access of all connected devices to that internet cable run going to the wall. if you are allowed by your internet provider to have more than one device attached to it and get a unique internet address(after putting in the user name and password), then you don;t need the router to connect your wired PC to the internet then. so with this you will get the best speed at the cost of security. people put routers between them and the internet to provide some measure of security.

But you should be able to connect the router to the switch at the same time and just let that act as an independent network-you said you wanted to just use it to serve out wifi clients.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: