mail2forum support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hkazemi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:56    Post subject: mail2forum support Reply with quote
If possible, I'd like to see mail2forum support enabled on this phpBB install.

http://www.mail2forum.com/
http://www.mail2forum.com/forums/

"Mail2Forum (or M2F) is an add-on software to the phpBB forum system. M2F combines the functionality of a mailing list system and a phpBB forum in order to add bi-directional 'email to forum' and 'forum to email' communication."

Note: I'd rank migrating the content (and metadata, such as the poster and postdate) from old forum and from the wiki to be higher priority than this request.
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
personally i want that the community really stays on this platform. we would also create many smtp traffic in this way since this forum has many users and connections. so we would be on a spamlist soon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
personally i want that the community really stays on this platform. we would also create many smtp traffic in this way since this forum has many users and connections. so we would be on a spamlist soon

Well, as mail2forum is a bi-directional gateway, anything posted either directly via the forum or via the equivalent email thread would be visible by those using the other method. By staying on this platform, is it fair to interpret that to mean your preference is for users to stay on dd-wrt.com, where (some) traffic costs can be offset by (some) ad revenue (which might drop if a significant portion of users only used the email interface).

I'm not sure what the bandwidth impact would be, although you're probably correct that it'd increase overall. Email reading users wouldn't have the HTML formatting overhead or the overhead from viewing the same thread multiple times, but they would have the SMTP overhead for the messages they received, which could be a lot if people wanted to receive all the threads by email. The least impact would be subscribing to only a few threads. (This then makes me wonder if there is a p2p/bittorrent style mailing list package that uses 'edge' bandwidth for mailing list distribution rather than the usual centralized mailing list. This could have conserve your bandwidth. Actually you could use torrents for the most popular builds as well).

I think the spam concerns would be mostly negated by the requiring of registration in the forum before a user could send/receive email of forum discussions.
mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I strongly recommend not to have this feature enabled. Doing so will just promote more SPAM posts than doing any good to the forums, except the convenience to the members.

BS, if you have time to spare, please disable the WEBSITE feature on the member info page. I have seen spammers just created their accounts filled with their website links to promote their sites, i.e. increase their ranks on search engines. This spammers just open the accounts and don't bother make any posts so that their existence will not raise the flags to the site admins of the forums, yet have managed to use the forum resources to promote their ranks to search engines. And, to make the matter worst, these forums are mostly hosted by PHPBB software forum.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
but accout registration alone is not enough. the accounts must be activated too. otherwise it would not work. up to yet we have not problems mit spammers. just with breakin attemps to our servers

Navigation

Jump to: