ASUS RT-AC66U DDWRT vs stock firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
GGrussell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 19:13    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC66U DDWRT vs stock firmware Reply with quote
Just purchased the ASUS RT-AC66U and having trouble with it connecting to my ISP (Charter) which should be DHCP. The wizard doesn't auto detect and then goes into a loop.

My question: Would the DDWRT firmware help with this issue? If DDWRT doesn't work, can I flash the stock firmware easily? I've never used DDWRT, but would be willing to try if it fixed my problem.

TIA
Sponsor
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
No reason why the RT-AC66U wouldn't work with Charter. Turn your modem off for 5-10 minutes to ensure that the connection gets reset on the ISP end, turn it back on, and try again setting up your router once the modem is done establishing its channels with Charter.
GGrussell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:30    Post subject: Tried that Reply with quote
Thanks but have tried that and more. I have a new SB6141 which works fine with older Netgear router.

When i looked through the RT-AC66U logs, it seemed to detect Charter as PPPoE which of course won't work.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24    Post subject: Re: Tried that Reply with quote
GGrussell wrote:
Thanks but have tried that and more. I have a new SB6141 which works fine with older Netgear router.

When you change to a new router on a cable connection, you have to turn the modem off for 5-10 minutes. This isn't a compatibility issue, this is due to the fact that you are going to request a DHCP lease from a new MAC address, which will be rejected by your ISP. The 5-10 mins period with the modem off ensures that the ISP will "forget" about your previous MAC, and it will accept to allocate a DHCP lease to the new router.

GGrussell wrote:

When i looked through the RT-AC66U logs, it seemed to detect Charter as PPPoE which of course won't work.

Just manually set it to DHCP then.
GGrussell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 20:02    Post subject: Re: Tried that Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Just manually set it to DHCP then.
Tried that too and still looped. So today as a last ditch effort.

Disconnected power from modem. left it off for a few hours.

Did a hard reset on the Router TWICE (to be sure). Then disconnected the power during same time as modem.

Connected power to modem first and made sure all the lights were light the color they should be. Waited a few minutes and then powered up the router.

Worked - Really shouldn't have been that difficult. I've always properly disconnected the modem to get a new IP from Charter, but the ASUS router just didn't seem to pick it up like the older Netgear.

So where can I read up on DD-WRT for this router? How to install and what features would it have that the ASUS stock firmware doesn't?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: