Recommend me a new high-gain antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
ric0chet06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:48    Post subject: Recommend me a new high-gain antenna Reply with quote
I'm probably looking for a directional antenna, so i can aim it upstairs to the 2 tenants. My price range is under $45, and attaches to my buffalo whr-hp-g54(don't know antenna connection type, though) Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsor
matt0401
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
"2.4 GHz High Performance Rubber Duck 9 dBi RP-SMA Antenna"
http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/product/YSC-HG2409RD-RSP

I've seen these things in multiple connectors and sizes on that site and it looks fantastically-priced but I'm Canadian and I don't like taking risks when it comes to customs fees, eh? :roll:

That thing should give you a nice boost in performance and I linked you to the one compatible with the HP-G54. I'd run netstumbler upstairs first though to see what the signal is right now with the stock antenna. Assuming the stock antenna is 4 dBi (I'm not 100% on that but I think that's what the HP-G54 ships with) the 9 dBi antenna will only provide an extra 5 dB of signal for the upstairs clients. If your signal coverage is too weak it may not even be worth it as the link created would be too weak for a reliable connection. In that case, a directional (to punch through the ceiling) or even plain old cat5 may be the only options. Another thing to take into account is the fact that omni antennae with higher gain have thinner vertical beamwidths and so you may actually not see much of an improvement if the tenants are directly above you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: