Support for netgear R6300 / R6300v2 ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 52, 53, 54  Next
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
Kong, thanks for the tips. The only thing I'm not sure of is if I did a reset after the initial load. I don't remember either way. All of the other things you mention were ok. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Jim

OK, just thought about other possibilities. What country do you live in? The country code is currently hardcoded in the init params and might not reflect the country you live in.

I'm going to add the possibility in the next release that country can be changed, just like in R7000.

ydoucare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kong! We have several of these R6300v2's at work we're deploying, so we took one aside and threw this on it just to play with. Set it up just like our Cisco WAPs here in the office. Working great using the WAN port as a VLAN trunk to our Cisco switch with 2 virtual wireless interfaces on different VLANs.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
robo872 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
My english is bad, please understand.
I did reset the router after flashing. initial status is normal strength, but it may be happen situation after 5Ghz setting.Another problem is WAN disconnected after usb transfer for samba is interupted.

I was able to reproduce such a behaviour it happens if both 2.4 and 5 Ghz is active. I just tested a possible fix and it looks like it works. Thus new build in the pipeline.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

OK, just thought about other possibilities. What country do you live in? The country code is currently hardcoded in the init params and might not reflect the country you live in.

I'm going to add the possibility in the next release that country can be changed, just like in R7000.

Kong, I'm in USA so maybe that's it. I'll play with it tomorrow either way.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
Quote:

Kong, I'm in USA so maybe that's it. I'll play with it tomorrow either way.

Already new build up, checkout the Changelog to see how you set US:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
robo872 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
My english is bad, please understand.
I did reset the router after flashing. initial status is normal strength, but it may be happen situation after 5Ghz setting.Another problem is WAN disconnected after usb transfer for samba is interupted.

I was able to reproduce such a behaviour it happens if both 2.4 and 5 Ghz is active. I just tested a possible fix and it looks like it works. Thus new build in the pipeline.

Thank you for your hard works.
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess my R6300v2 just doesn't like DD-WRT. Tried it again, did full reset and completed the nvram settings per the change log information. I used the Android WiFi Analyzer app to measure signal strength. There is a signficant difference in signal between dd-wrt and the stock firmware in my case. In the same room as the router I get a -20db reading on average with the Netgear firmware. With dd-wrt it drops to -60db. Further from the router the drop is less dramatic but still signficant. In my living room 2 walls away, it is about -70db with dd-wrt vs -50db with Netgear. I had set width to 40 in both tests. Tried different channel combinations with dd-wrt but it made no difference. Ethernet speeds are the same in both cases and my internet hits the max provided by ISP, a mere 15mb.

Not sure what to try next or just let it go..
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
I guess my R6300v2 just doesn't like DD-WRT. Tried it again, did full reset and completed the nvram settings per the change log information. I used the Android WiFi Analyzer app to measure signal strength. There is a signficant difference in signal between dd-wrt and the stock firmware in my case. In the same room as the router I get a -20db reading on average with the Netgear firmware. With dd-wrt it drops to -60db. Further from the router the drop is less dramatic but still signficant. In my living room 2 walls away, it is about -70db with dd-wrt vs -50db with Netgear. I had set width to 40 in both tests. Tried different channel combinations with dd-wrt but it made no difference. Ethernet speeds are the same in both cases and my internet hits the max provided by ISP, a mere 15mb.

OK, one thing you should know. If you are not connected to the router, Powermanagement will reduce output Power. So if you measured the signal strentgh without beeing connected, then your test is bad. Oem fw might not have that Powermanagement I did not check on the R6300V2.

If you are sure, that this was not the case, then send me a dump of your nvram vars, just to check.
You can just logon via Putty and then issue an "nvram show" in putty right click on its window top bar and select copy all to clibboard, paste that into a file so I can check. Or attach a usb stick and dump them :

nvram show > /tmp/mnt/sda1

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:

My guess would have to do with tx power and also antenna selection.. I would check those settings... I believe stock firmware uses separate tx/rx antenna combo's part of their smart beam marketing ext. DD-WRT by default sets to auto, I would check those and see if that makes a difference under advanced wireless settings.

-Fractal
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
jimfree wrote:

My guess would have to do with tx power and also antenna selection.. I would check those settings... I believe stock firmware uses separate tx/rx antenna combo's part of their smart beam marketing ext. DD-WRT by default sets to auto, I would check those and see if that makes a difference under advanced wireless settings.

-Fractal

That is rather unlikely. If he is getting -60 in the same room there something really strange going on. I also have -20 in the same room and -40 in a floor below with a 30 cm thick concrete ceiling. I did a short test with an intel 6300 wifi card + R6300V2 yesterday:

25MB/s in the same room
7MB/s in the floor below

tests with 2.4Ghz

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong, Sorry for the slow reply. I had already loaded Netgear firmware so had to do everything over again. Reset button got stuck so it was definitely reset this time! Scared me because I thought I had bricked it until I realized what had happened. I have attached the nvram settings, done after I issued the nvram changes. I've also attached the dmesg output just in case that may be helpful.

Here is a visual that shows the signal strength of the Netgear (green) vs my Linksys E2100L (red) with the Android tablet in same room as both routers. For reference the Linksys is at the -40db level and Netgear sitting at -65db.

Code:

dmesg.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dmesg.txt
 Filesize:  9.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1031 Time(s)

nvram.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nvram.txt
 Filesize:  32.46 KB
 Downloaded:  1416 Time(s)

Last edited by jimfree on Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:17; edited 2 times in total
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
Kong, Sorry for the slow reply. I had already loaded Netgear firmware so had to do everything over again. Reset button got stuck so it was definitely reset this time! Scared me because I thought I had bricked it until I realized what had happened. I have attached the nvram settings, done after I issued the nvram changes. I've also attached the dmesg output just in case that may be helpful.

Here is a visual that shows the signal strength of the Netgear (green) vs my Linksys E2100L (red) with the Android tablet in same room as both routers. For reference the Linksys is at the -40db level and Netgear sitting at -65db.

Code:

Did you read my comment above? You were probably connected to the Linksys while you did the test. You also did not fully setup wireless on the R6300V2. Your params for the wireless card are ok, but you need to setup the router before you do a test.

This is not going to work, because Netgear uses different default setting for wireless mode etc. So you can't compare until you set them up with the same wireless modes, security etc. You have the router set to default, mixed, no encryption etc. so no wonder you are not getting the results you want.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong, I thought about that after I did the post. However, the previous attempts were done with identical settings as was on the Linksys with between 5 and 8 wifi devices connected at any given time. However to be sure I'll set it up and repost the results later today. I appreciate you taking the time with this. I don't know about you but I have to tap dance around the family's use and they are not happy when the network is down.. Smile

Edit: I ran the test connected with Linksys and again connected to the Netgear. No visible difference.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
Kong, I thought about that after I did the post. However, the previous attempts were done with identical settings as was on the Linksys with between 5 and 8 wifi devices connected at any given time. However to be sure I'll set it up and repost the results later today. I appreciate you taking the time with this. I don't know about you but I have to tap dance around the family's use and they are not happy when the network is down.. Smile

Edit: I ran the test connected with Linksys and again connected to the Netgear. No visible difference.

So the signal is still bad? Just to make sure, use the settings, that I have tested with:

Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: N-Only
Channel 10
Channel Width: 40
Extension Channel: upper
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Everything else left at default. To set them correctly, steps to do:

1. Step set width
2. Step set Extension channel
3. Set channel
Betwenn every step, press apply

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
jimfree wrote:

So the signal is still bad? Just to make sure, use the settings, that I have tested with:

Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: N-Only
Channel 10
Channel Width: 40
Extension Channel: upper
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Everything else left at default. To set them correctly, steps to do:

1. Step set width
2. Step set Extension channel
3. Set channel
Betwenn every step, press apply

Except for the channel number that is how I have it set up. The upper vs lower is confusing as when I made the selection it seems to be the reverse when looking at the frequency. I just went to change it and noticed my selector only goes to channel 7. I have to run so will continue later. I did upload new nvram dmesg settings.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 52, 53, 54  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 54
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: