Netgear R7000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
Malachi wrote:
No, stock on the asus. But the pings on the netgear stay the same regardless if I have netgear or dd-wrt on it.

Sounds like the ctf on the asus works quite well.

I may have to trade in the R7000 for the AC68 to get my game on.

Dave Wink

Does that mean I can't do anything about it?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No, stock on the asus. But the pings on the netgear stay the same regardless if I have netgear or dd-wrt on it.

I'm an active gamer on ps4 and experience no lag whatsoever regardless of network activity however I use qos to prioritize my console.

I seriously doubt ctf is playing that big a deal in online gaming as the bandwidth requirements are minimal.

Are your ping times to a local speedtest server via wired connection significantly different on the ac68 vs the r7000?

Is it a pc, Xbox, playstation? Wired or wifi?

How is your son determining that ping times are higher? In game ping bar?

http://test-ipv6.netiter.dk (20/20)

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's on his pc. He plays when we are all in bed, so he is the only person online.
I don't know how he measures it. He said whatever game he was playing, his pings were around 100 more than normal. Which was double what it usually is.
He said his game shows the pings.
His pc is wired to the router.
He isn't here or I'd ask him.

Like I said, I pinged it through telnet. I'll try it now with speedtest.
Using speedtest the pings on the r7000 were 26ms.
On the rt-ac68u it is 10ms.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi something doesn't sound right. 26 ms for a local speedtest server when the asus is doing 10 just sounds off. I can get 6 to 10 locally depending if it's on my isp's network or another backbone.

When you add that to your MAC address issue it make me kind of wonder. If it was me I would start with a factory reset and try again.

http://test-ipv6.netiter.dk (20/20)

ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

I don't know how he measures it. He said whatever game he was playing, his pings were around 100 more than normal. Which was double what it usually is.

Like I said, I pinged it through telnet. I'll try it now with speedtest.
Using speedtest the pings on the r7000 were 26ms.
On the rt-ac68u it is 10ms.

So according to your test the 7000 is adding 16ms over what the asus was doing. That in itself is not too bad when the overall latency is really determined by your path/hops to the server. Time of day, day of week on the path affect that too. Some paths have choke points that start dropping low priority packets (games) when the bandwidth fills up adversley affecting perceived ping times and server response. If my path is 200ms and my opponent's is 75 and we both press the fire button at the exact same moment I am dead because the server fired his shot before it even got the command to fire mine. Local bandwidth these days is not near as important as latency is to gamers. If I play on the west coast server my ping is 35, east coast 75 and the russian server is 260. I work my tail off on the russian server because I am a quarter second behind on updates and responses.

If the backbone has problems you'll see your ping latency climbing until you are a sitting duck. That's when it's time to take a break until it's fixed and settles down. Life of a gamer.

Dave on World of Tanks
marat569
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish there was a way to just get YaMon on default netgear firmware.

All a dude wants is a bandwidth monitor that can display not only total usage but per device.

Why has netgear not thought of this yet?

I downloaded the R7000 source but having issues compiling it due to not being able to find the toolkit and can't figure out where the bandwith monitor source is located, but so far i've been studying the source.

Nothing is more stable on the R7000 than the latest netgear firmware tbh

-
xayide
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
xay,
I believe you misunderstood what was explained about old vs new wireless drivers & how to set auto.

1000mW is the hardwares limit no matter what else is a factor for max wireless Tx.
With the old wireless driver you could set any mW value you wanted up to 1000mW & the radio would push that regardless of region.
With the new wireless driver you can set it to any mW value you want BUT the regional limit will be the limit the radio respects (again, up to hardware limit).
So if you live in a region, using a frequency that they say you can only TX at 700mW then when you tell the router 999mW your router will Tx at 700mW. Even though the router radio can push 1000mW.

That is the biggest difference for transmission between wireless drivers that has been discussed.

If you want "auto" you set the value in the Tx at 71.
The router takes care of the rest.
xayide wrote:
I heard someone said new drivers were capped to 71mw whilst the old could be set all the way up to 1000mw.

I must thank you kindly for this very clear explanation. Thank you!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Dave Wink

You probably can.
Browse back in the thread 50 pages or so and find the cmd Kong gave for optimizing response time instead of optimizing routing speed.
raqua
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
grein002 wrote:
I've now configured my R7000 to be my router and 5GHz wireless (I still have a WNDR3700 in use as a 2.4GHz access point). I've been using freedns.afraid.org for a couple of months on the old router. I cloned the settings to the R7000 and am having an issue. While the IP address was updated, I'm seeing activity every 10 minutes as follows (IP address obscured, address in original error message is correct):

Code:
Sat Jul 12 03:28:35 2014: W:INADYN: Response Code: 1
Sat Jul 12 03:28:35 2014: W:INADYN: Error validating DYNDNS svr answer. Check usr,pass,hostname! (HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 07:28:35 GMT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Connection: close
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
X-Cache: MISS

ERROR: Address 76.xxx.xxx.xxx has not changed.
)
Sat Jul 12 03:38:43 2014: W:INADYN: Response Code: 1
Sat Jul 12 03:38:43 2014: W:INADYN: Error validating DYNDNS svr answer. Check usr,pass,hostname! (HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 07:38:43 GMT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Connection: close
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
X-Cache: MISS

ERROR: Address 76.xxx.xxx.xxx has not changed.
)

Any ideas / suggestions?

It might be this bug I reported to Kong few weeks ago:

raqua wrote:
I am not sure if you noticed this, so I am sending it in pm as well. Thanks.

Hello Kong,

I think I have found a minor bug in the 23900M FW.

I have DDNS set up on freedns.afraid.org. I entered correct values to GUI and saved it. I got response that connection failed because of wrong credentials.
There was hash added to the hostname line in GUI. However further inspection showed, that the hash is wrong, seems that some characters were cut off from the end. When I found out the correct hash string on freedns.afraid.org and pasted it to the hostname line all started to work fine.

raqua wrote:
correct hash: R2NUeEc4Y3Z2UWgrd3JId3FjSlNpY1h1OjExNDE3MjA4
returned hash:R2NUeEc4Y3Z2UWgrd3JId3FjSlNpY1h1OjEx

I have changed few characters, but kept the length of the hash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Malachi wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Dave Wink

You probably can.
Browse back in the thread 50 pages or so and find the cmd Kong gave for optimizing response time instead of optimizing routing speed.

Thanks Lom. I used the search function and google but couldn't find anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am locking this thread. It is way too long to be readable. Please start new threads to discuss specifics or general info on this router.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 Display posts from previous:    Page 271 of 271
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: