Netgear R7000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270, 271  Next
themastertruth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:42    Post subject: Custom Scripts and jffs Issuses Reply with quote
So I recently bought my R7000 and flashed kongs 2400M as soon as I opened it. Everything has been great so far. However, today I tried to SSH into the router and save some custom scripts in jffs and it was saying I had "read-only access". I have jffs enabled and it says I have 90 MB of free space, so I do not know what the problem is. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
OC is always YMMV.
Some of us can OC to 1400 without any issues.
Some can get 1200 but others cant get any OC without some issue.
Each router is different.
One of the symtops kong has noted with users contacting him with firmware flashing issues is OC.
He has said to revert to stock then flash firmware if you experience flashing issues before contacting him.
Operating any electronics outside of its intended specs can lead to unpredictable results.
If you get any OC with stability, great! If not, well netgear never sold it as OC friendly anyway.
photobynum wrote:
please advice if overclock to 1400,800 causes a random reboot

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27    Post subject: Re: Custom Scripts and jffs Issuses Reply with quote
themastertruth wrote:
So I recently bought my R7000 and flashed kongs 2400M as soon as I opened it. Everything has been great so far. However, today I tried to SSH into the router and save some custom scripts in jffs and it was saying I had "read-only access". I have jffs enabled and it says I have 90 MB of free space, so I do not know what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Log back in as root and run ls -l in the root dir. What does it say for /jffs permissions?

Dave
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vishwa,
as far as I am aware the only requirement for wpa2/aes is for full wireless N performance.
I believe the official standard will give N speeds for unencrypted OR wpa2/aes encryption. Wep & wpa, besides being inferior encryptions are by official spec not able to give full N speeds.
Vishwa wrote:
This build requires WPA2-AES.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vishwa wrote:
That was what Kong said somewhere in the last few days.

WPA2/AES is only required if you want your wireless to go as fast as possible. You can use a lower level of security, but you won't get the full speed that the hardware is capable of. It's like WMM, if you disable WMM, you won't be able to go faster than 54Mbps.
Vishwa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike and MrDoh,
Thanks for the explanation but I thought most people want the maximum speed. I have seen people complain about how they are not getting the speed they are supposed to. Anyway, I remembered Kong mentioning that but forgot the context.
By the way, Mike how is 24500 doing on your R7000. Also, that program you suggested for the backup of the settings--does it work for 24500. The reason I am asking is that this is all new and I am coming from 24345 oldd.
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11    Post subject: Re: what firmware and how to overclock? Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
coa132435 wrote:
I got a R7000 and I cannot find how to overclock it...it may be the time 2:30AM....
I loaded the NEWD_STD firmware the one with 19M (24200 and 24500) and I cannot find a menu that has the overclock option.

Can you please help? Did I load the right firmware? Also when compare to the RT-AC66u I cannot find the Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) on the R7000.

Enter the commands in the command window of the Administration tab.

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
sleep 1
nvram commit
sleep 2
reboot

Press Run Command button at bottom of screen.

1200 is cpu freq and 800 is memory. Always set memory to 800.

No guarantees that everything will work properly when overclocking.

Dave

All you need is:

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

You don't need to reboot. You'll find that your clock speed changes immediately in the router status upon doing the above.

"You don't need to reboot." CPU and memory clock frequencies are checked during boot-up only.
You can easily prove this by doing the following:
root@NetR7000RT1:~# nvram get clkfreq
root@NetR7000RT1:~# nvram set clkfreq=HelloWorld,800 <<== The Router Status page is updated immediately as soon as this command is executed.
root@NetR7000RT1:~# nvram commit
HelloWorld,800
root@NetR7000RT1:~#

- Magnetron1.1
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Vishwa,
as far as I am aware the only requirement for wpa2/aes is for full wireless N performance.
I believe the official standard will give N speeds for unencrypted OR wpa2/aes encryption. Wep & wpa, besides being inferior encryptions are by official spec not able to give full N speeds.
Vishwa wrote:
This build requires WPA2-AES.

This is not fully correct, a few clients devices also require wpa2/aes, otherwise they will refuse to connect and throw no error.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:50    Post subject: Re: what firmware and how to overclock? Reply with quote
[quote="Magnetron1.1"
"You don't need to reboot." CPU and memory clock frequencies are checked during boot-up only.
You can easily prove this by doing the following:
root@NetR7000RT1:~# nvram set clkfreq=HelloWorld,800 <<== The Router Status page is updated immediately as soon as this command is executed.
root@NetR7000RT1:~# nvram commit
HelloWorld,800
root@NetR7000RT1:~#
- Magnetron1.1[/quote]

LOL Nice one Magnetron, that's pretty cute Smile

On that that note, I set mine back to 1000 after Kong raged about it... Although it appeared to be happy at 1200 for a couple months, I need a "memtest" utility for Linux, or something, to be comfortable with the overclock again. Has anybody done any tests at all after overclocking? Maybe I'm the only one worried about it.
cmbe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
cmbe wrote:
XenonKilla wrote:
cmbe wrote:
I have tried additional combinations on 24500, some recommended here and some on my own:

2.4Ghz: NG-Mixed and Mixed, CH1/CH6/CH11 and Auto.
5Ghz: NA-Mixed, AC-Only, A-Only and disabled.

All unsuccessful, the random reboots always come back Sad

I'm back again to rock solid 24345 OLDD...

Well what other settings are you changing from the default settings? I see you're using the 5GHz band, have you tried turning that OFF yet? Try my settings...

2.4GHz: N-Only, CH1
5GHz: Disabled

Those are the ONLY things I change on the Wireless Page, well aside from my SSID. But everything else is defaults except those values I listed. For security I'm using WPA2-AES

First, thanks for trying to help.

On the subject, I already tried also to disable 5Ghz radio, with no success. Tonight (during the day my family is using it) I will try exactly your settings (it won't fit my needs), and report back. Maybe it helps to reach some conclusions.

Unfortunately I still have reboots with your suggested configuration. It seems a combination of factors that give the reboots: wireless setup and wireless devices.
cmbe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
haggismn wrote:
Is there really no way to compile an old drivers using musl? I take back what I said before. Tonight has been reboots galore. Back to 24345 OLDD.

Fao Kong; It's an effort to do it, but if I got the serial output from the router at crash time, would this be off use? Has anybody else done this for you yet?

Hi Kong, is this a hope for us with random reboots?

Thanks for your great job.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
cmbe wrote:
haggismn wrote:
Is there really no way to compile an old drivers using musl? I take back what I said before. Tonight has been reboots galore. Back to 24345 OLDD.

Fao Kong; It's an effort to do it, but if I got the serial output from the router at crash time, would this be off use? Has anybody else done this for you yet?

Hi Kong, is this a hope for us with random reboots?

Thanks for your great job.

Use the old builds, we are working on a lot of new stuff right now, 24500 and up is currently not recommended. I probably have to add this info to the changelog.

By the time all this new stuff is getting stable we will probably have new wireless drivers. Those that don't suffer from random reboots can use the 24500

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since cloning my MAC address, the router has been up for 24 1/2 hours.
No wan disconnects and no reboots on 24345M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
Vishwa wrote:
That was what Kong said somewhere in the last few days.

WPA2/AES is only required if you want your wireless to go as fast as possible. You can use a lower level of security, but you won't get the full speed that the hardware is capable of. It's like WMM, if you disable WMM, you won't be able to go faster than 54Mbps.

What would the affect on speeds be if it's set to WPA2 TKIP+AES? My wife's work laptop won't connect if it's set to AES only and it's locked down so I can't try an updated wifi driver etc.
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking forward to new version but 24500 is fine in my setting and on my R7000.
Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270, 271  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 269 of 271
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: