TL-WR1043Nv5- Won't Flash

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Author Message
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you even flash it? I have a TL-WR1043NDv5 here that I simply cannot get to accept DD-WRT at all. (OpenWRT will flash; DD-WRT won't.)
Sponsor
eladb
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 37
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
How did you even flash it? I have a TL-WR1043NDv5 here that I simply cannot get to accept DD-WRT at all. (OpenWRT will flash; DD-WRT won't.)


What is your hardware version?

Is it currently running factory firmware and did you try to flash with "factory-to-ddwrt.bin"

What happens?
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I mentioned above, it's a v5. And of course I used the "correct" firmware. Wouldn't flash. Error message says something bogus about remote administration (as has been reported elsewhere in this forum) but the real problem is that the router is rejecting it. Flashing from OpenWRT (which does work properly) bricks it. So, the build must be bad.
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've attempted to install via TFTP and it bricks the router. (Fortunately, the ROM has a de-bricking mode.)
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 21 Jan 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: Illinois Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no such thing as TL-WR1043NDv5

There is only a TL-WR1043N v5 available globally.
That said, it doesn't look like the V5 firmware is set up right to allow a flash:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311263

only the openwrt guys have made it work so far...

Check your PM and reply back about wireshark

EDIT:
Is it looking for filename "WR1043v5_tp_recovery.bin"?

_________________
TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | QCA WIFI WIKI | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]43874 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 nightly (2xOffsite)
[R7800]taking a nap
[WDR3600]BS 42567 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare here napping)


Last edited by msoengineer on Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:55; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 6955
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT: I now know why this thread was opened as it was a split from the other thread that is totally unrelated to this particular device. That being said:

I ordered what I *hope* is a v5 last night to investigate the issue and the plan was to post in the other thread and perhaps delete all the other posts so it starts with a "How-To".

_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW - TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The postings were related in that they both mentioned problems that affected (among other devices) Atheros-based devices sold by TP-Link. That being said, it's fine to move the postings around so long as something is done. We want to use DD-WRT on more routers, especially Atheros-based ones, and so we need fixes for these issues.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 21 Jan 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: Illinois Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
The postings were related in that they both mentioned problems that affected (among other devices) Atheros-based devices sold by TP-Link. That being said, it's fine to move the postings around so long as something is done. We want to use DD-WRT on more routers, especially Atheros-based ones, and so we need fixes for these issues.


despite TP-Link's naming methodology, you cannot simply group all of the routers together just because they have the same name/model number. TP-link loves to make slight variations that end up bricking one device but not another. This particular instance is just that example.

I reference you back to my PM and simply say this. If you want to see things fixed, you have to roll up your own sleeves on some things and put in the effort. It's time for YOU to step up your game in ability/skills and supply necessary info.

If not, then please stop posting and use OpenWRT or Stock firmware.

BS is not going to go out of his way for this P.O.S. router with no future, and sketchy hardware stability.

I'm honestly sorry you're stuck with these routers but you've been trying for over two years with no other useful input to help yourself. I would either:

    1. Ebay them and buy a R7800
    2. Buy a $7 usb to serial adapter, request some samples, and start learning how to get info for BS to help you.
    3. Stop complaining/posting if you're not willing to teach yourself new skills and move on in life.

_________________
TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | QCA WIFI WIKI | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]43874 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 nightly (2xOffsite)
[R7800]taking a nap
[WDR3600]BS 42567 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare here napping)
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apparently, you do not realize to whom you are ranting. I am an electrical engineer with more than 40 years of experience in embedded systems, operating system design, and wireless networking. I have contributed a great deal of code, tweaks, knowledge, and bug fixes to open source software - BSD in particular, which I favor due to legal dangers of working with code that's subject to viral licenses such as the GPL. (And some of my BSD code was appropriated by Linux and is in Linux distributions, including the ones on which projects such as DD-WRT are based. So - yes - you are already using my code.) I founded the world's first wireless ISP and have operated it continuously for 28 years. I know very well what manufacturers do with and to their products. And I've offered to provide hardware (which is not obsolete, by the way; we only work with products that are in active production) to developers of open source software, so long as they will actually work with it and fix the bugs in their code.

So, don't attack me - or anyone else - for pointing out bugs or requesting that they be fixed. Be appreciative that folks are doing QA at no cost, and pay them back by fixing the bugs they find. That's how the open source ecosystem works.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 21 Jan 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: Illinois Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
Apparently, you do not realize to whom you are ranting. I am an electrical engineer with more than 40 years of experience in embedded systems, operating system design, and wireless networking. I have contributed a great deal of code, tweaks, knowledge, and bug fixes to open source software - BSD in particular, which I favor due to legal dangers of working with code that's subject to viral licenses such as the GPL. (And some of my BSD code was appropriated by Linux and is in Linux distributions, including the ones on which projects such as DD-WRT are based. So - yes - you are already using my code.) I founded the world's first wireless ISP and have operated it continuously for 28 years. I know very well what manufacturers do with and to their products. And I've offered to provide hardware (which is not obsolete, by the way; we only work with products that are in active production) to developers of open source software, so long as they will actually work with it and fix the bugs in their code.

So, don't attack me - or anyone else - for pointing out bugs or requesting that they be fixed. Be appreciative that folks are doing QA at no cost, and pay them back by fixing the bugs they find. That's how the open source ecosystem works.


Posts like this are going to get you banned real fast.

Please show the posts for this router where you've submitted something from the router interface. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt right now and you claim to have the necessary skills. If you keep up posts like this you will be gone fast...BSD or not...You got banned once elsewhere too... Keep your ego in check!

And Thank You for your code; if in fact dd-wrt uses it!

_________________
TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | QCA WIFI WIKI | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]43874 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 nightly (2xOffsite)
[R7800]taking a nap
[WDR3600]BS 42567 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare here napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 6955
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've chosen to lock this thread for now. I am working on adding the UART header to a recently acquired TL-1043N v5. If I figure out a workaround or solution, I will post it in this thread if I figure it out.

UPDATE: I have tried 42954 via webUI, no dice. I don't have a fully functional serial header yet, so not going to attempt TFTP flash just yet. I did update the ticket with what I found while examining the firmware images between v4 and v5, stock and OpenWRT, stock and DD-WRT, and OpenWRT and DD-WRT. Not sure I want to gamble on a hex edit at this point, but I may re-look at the OWRT/DDWRT comparison to see if the math is different enough to make things go boom.

_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW - TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum