Linksys WRT54G finally died

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mslisaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 19:07    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G finally died Reply with quote
Well my very first WiFi router finally gave up the ghost I believe. After 11 years of constant and reliable service, 8 years of that with various versions of DD-WRT I believe it's finally died. I'm writing here asking if this is the way they go?

For the last year this has been my secondary internet access source as I was using a slower DSL signal. But it was always there when I connected to it. Now yesterday I just terminated the DSL service and I was going to use my trusty WRT54G and connect it to my new WiFi extender and run my desktop through it as I always have. Well I hooked it up in the usual fashion and my desktop which was hardwired with a cable would not connect. Then I notice that there was no WiFi signal out of the WRT. So I do a power off reset and no change. I finally did a "factory reset" and now it's putting out a WiFi signal but no internet. Same with the ethernet cable, it was not working. I then did a restore of my settings for the DD-WRT software and all that came back but while the software said the radio was on there was no signal and still no internet on the ethernet cable to the desktop. Finally I downloaded V24 and flashed that successfully but still no WiFi Signal and no internet on the ethernet cable.
Just a note on the indicator lights. Before updating the software I had the power light, WLAN light on, the number 1 light on for the ethernet cable and the internet light was on. But still no WiFi Signal and no internet. After the V24 install all the "lights" were the same except the WLAN light was flashing.

So I'm just curious if this sounds like the way these finally die. I'm okay with that as it's given me wonderful service. But I was wondering what you all thought of this situation.

Best regards,

Lisa
Sponsor
jxm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a fair chance that the router failire is actually a failure of its power supply. The electrolytic smoothing capacitors in power supplies degrade over time, resulting in a voltage drop which will eventually becomes insufficient to power the router.

If you have a spare 12 volt DC power supply which can output 1 amp or more you could use it to test the router. Unfortunately buying a new power supply to test the router would likely to cost more than the router is worth

If you have a multimeter you could check the voltage at the output plug of the power supply, it should be 12 volts, but it may have been able to power up your router with a voltage as low as 8 or 9 volts. But if the voltage is this low it is a very good chance that the power supply is your problem. (You could take also the power supply to your local electronics store and ask them to check the output voltage)

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can replace faulty capacitors quite easily. Often the faulty ones can be identified because they look like a little round cannister bulging at the top, when the top should be flat. If one capacitor is bulging, replace any around it too. Replacements need to be the same type as the original, have the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage rating. They are quite cheap, 3 or 4 for a dollar and maybe up to two or three times that for better ones. However better ones may be larger in size and may not fit in your enclosure. They are polarised, so replacements have to be put in the right way around.

Cheers
mslisaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for that response. I ordered a new WRT54G and when it gets here I'll take that power supply and plug it into the old one and see what happens. That would be amazing to salvage my old router that easily.
Can't wait to try that out.
Thanks again.

Lisa
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It probably is the power cord or internal capacitors (those that look almost like miniaturized soup cans).
Stereo and radio shops can replace the caps (although soldering isn't actually difficult if you buy 'gel flux' to make it work more easily).

Other possibility: It is extremely confused.
I'd say the odds of that are possibly 40%. To unconfuse an older broadcom, get a pen, the router in your lap, hold down the reset button while in a secure position that won't be jostled at all, pull the power cord, keep holding down that reset button for 30 seconds, without jostling that reset, keep holding it down while you plug the power cord back in, and keep holding down that reset button for 30 more seconds.
Probably, the button got jostled somewhere in that process, so try again.
By the time it seems that resetting is an awful new hobby and you've got a hand cramp, it will reset.
Only 1 of mine is THAT stubborn, and I always think it has surely died. Nope. It works still.

That's a really old model, but they're still relevant for DSL connections, and their low lag brisk web browsing is quite enjoyable.

After cancelling your old DSL service...if your new service is faster than approximately 24 megabits, then you'll want a newer model router (or that other option of paying less for internet).
d0ug
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielwritesback wrote:
It probably is the power cord or internal capacitors (those that look almost like miniaturized soup cans).
Stereo and radio shops can replace the caps (although soldering isn't actually difficult if you buy 'gel flux' to make it work more easily).

Other possibility: It is extremely confused.
I'd say the odds of that are possibly 40%. To unconfuse an older broadcom, get a pen, the router in your lap, hold down the reset button while in a secure position that won't be jostled at all, pull the power cord, keep holding down that reset button for 30 seconds, without jostling that reset, keep holding it down while you plug the power cord back in, and keep holding down that reset button for 30 more seconds.
Probably, the button got jostled somewhere in that process, so try again.
By the time it seems that resetting is an awful new hobby and you've got a hand cramp, it will reset.
Only 1 of mine is THAT stubborn, and I always think it has surely died. Nope. It works still.

That's a really old model, but they're still relevant for DSL connections, and their low lag brisk web browsing is quite enjoyable.

After cancelling your old DSL service...if your new service is faster than approximately 24 megabits, then you'll want a newer model router (or that other option of paying less for internet).

With the age of the router it is almost 100% the electrolytic caps in the power regulator on the routers board. I have brought back quite a few different routers by replacing these. Couple bucks in parts and 5-10min in work to bring it back to life. You will need a soldering iron that gets quite hot though since one leg of the caps are in the large ground plane on the board. the ground plane just sucks the heat away from where you are soldering

There is a chance it could be a fried switch chip as well. You can usually determine this if the link lights dont light up or light erratically on the front of the router when you plug in an ethernet cable. I brought back one WRT54GS before by salvaging to switch chip off another. Requires patience and careful work with a hot air gun soldering station to perform this though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: