Any DD-WRT Interest in ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
KcHmon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 15:28    Post subject: Port Forwarding and Chromecast Issues Reply with quote
I recently bought a new ERLite-3 model and flashed my own USB with the latest DD-WRT image posted on this thread. I also purchased a pro license and validated the install so it's not in "trial" mode anymore.

Problem 1: I run a Murmur (VOIP) server on one of my Windows PC's and ever since I installed the new router with DD-WRT, it has been not working for people outside of my network (connecting from WAN). I have the correct port forwarded to that machine's local IP. My friend and I did some testing last night and it seems that the server is getting the first connection packet, sends a response, but my friend's PC over the internet is not getting any response and timing out. Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it?

This same friend is running DD-WRT on an old Linksys router, and I can connect to his Murmur server fine.

Problem 2: My Chromecast keeps disappearing from other Android devices on my LAN. I unplug & plug the Chromecast, and it appears to my Nexus 7 tablet. After an hour or two of idle, it won't show up on the tablet to connect. Not sure if it matters, but I have UPnP enabled. Any ideas how to fix this ?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Klaus-Bertram
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello BrainSlayer,

i seems that a few things maybe not work properly on the ER-Lite. I have made a firewall-script which should do a few useful things but not everything is working properly. The thing is, this works flawless with a few adjustments on a

WRT54-GL with tomatoRAF. May u take a look at this? I try to explain the problems.

Eth0 + Eth2 = br0
Eth1 = Wan Interface

The idea is to create 4 custum iptables chains which could be adjusted for personal needs.

The "iwanin INPUT CHAIN" is for local services that could reach the router from outside (WAN). I want to prevent portscans, spoofed ip-addresses etc. from local router services.
If i comment the
-> iptables -A iwanin -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j DROP
line out, everything is fine, but if its activated, i cant connect the router or even the internet.
But normally ONLY packets which reach the WANIF Eth1 from outside (internet) should be dropped.

The "fwanin incoming FORWARD CHAIN" is for internal lan services that could reached from outside (WAN).
Normally i use this command
-> iptables -I FORWARD 1 -i $WANIF -j fwanin
but i use this as workaround now
-> iptables -I FORWARD 1 -i $WANIF -o br0 -j fwanin

If i comment the -> iptables -A iwanin -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j DROP <- line out, everything is fine, but if its activated, i cant connect the router or even the internet.
But normally ONLY packets which reach the WANIF Eth1 should be dropped.

The "fwanout outgoing FORWARD CHAIN" is to prevent internal lan services reach the internet (WAN).

The "owanout OUTPUT CHAIN" should prevent local router services sent packets to the internet.

Another thing is, if u want to try to prevent users to surf at the internet, u could try these line.

iptables -N wanin
iptables -I FORWARD 1 -i $WANIF -j wanin
# drop HTTP
iptables -A wanin -p tcp --sport 80 -j DROP
iptables -A wanin -p udp --sport 80 -j DROP

or also this should work (the reverse)

iptables -N wanout
iptables -I FORWARD 2 -o $WANIF -j wanout
# drop HTTP
iptables -A wanout -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
iptables -A wanout -p udp --dport 80 -j DROP

But the strange thing is, if u use these lines at the firewall script, u can sometimes open a homepage and sometimes not. It seems it takes a few seconds until these rules grip. Really strange.

Could you also make VLAN Settings (http://192.168.1.1/Vlan.asp) with the right interfaces working again?

P.S.: See my attachment (That firewall rules script should be more or less self explained)

regards Klaus-Bertram

Last edited by Klaus-Bertram on Fri Feb 27, 2015 15:11; edited 1 time in total
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, Just flashed the .image file onto a usb mini disk using physdiskwrite, all good (two files on there, one of about 5 mb the other much smaller, one called 64). Put the usb in and booted up the router, console port is steady green.

My problem now is, what is the IP of the DD-WRT configuration page? i've tried

with the ethernet adapter on my pc set manually in the same subnet...

ah and which eth port do you have to use on the router? i've tried all three, console port gave nothing...

christ, so close in getting it to work and now stuck on this! Shocked

btw i've bought an 8gb mini-usb disk, this is not a problem that it is not a 2gb like the one in there right?

thx for any feedback!

Ben
Klaus-Bertram
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi blvermeu,

the standard DD-WRT Router IP is 192.168.1.1. I connected my LAN cable to Eth0 for the first configuration. Did u already tried to reset with the reset-button? I had a similar problem at the first time, but after i reset the router (with the ddwrt stick of course) everything was working well. I am using a 32GB usb stick for ddwrt (it was cheap at the supermarket). U can check with Windows or other OS DiskManagement if physdriskwrite has correctly created partitions. Good luck!
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Klaus for the reply,

I tried pressing the reset button for 30 seconds with power on, but nothing happens, no led blinking, nothing...

Did you do a 30/30/30 reset? or another reset?

thanks!
leo_bsb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to use real Dd, physdiskwrite didn't work.
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Leo,

What didn't work when you used physdiskwrite, i mean i see a DOS command line pupping up and writing stuff to the USB. And when i check, there are 2 files in there and 3 or 4 new partitions (when checked with diskmanager). This seems quite normal no?

Haven't used DD yet. I'm working on win7, is the DD for windows the same as the one working on linux?

Damn, i will be glad when this is working!

cheers,

Ben Very Happy Very Happy
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Small update: i'm at work right now but just checked dd for windows en the result is quite different from physdiskwrite, i now have a usb disk in RAW format (analyzed by win disk managment) in contrast to the different volumes i had with physdiskwrite...

I'll update in a couple of hours when i get home and can check this new usb!

cheers,

Ben
KcHmon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 14:07    Post subject: Flashing with PhysDiskWrite Reply with quote
Regarding flashing with PhysDiskWrite in Windows: Maybe this will help, maybe not...

Initially PhysDiskWrite would fail part way during a flash for me. It would start counting up and then fail. I used the 'diskpart' utility and the 'clean' command on the disk (2GB microSD card in a USB reader) before using the PhysDiskWrite command. After cleaning, PhysDiskWrite completes the flash and DD-WRT successfully boots in my router.

(Besides the port forwarding and Chromecast problems I posted about earlier. Still waiting for a response??)
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the feedback, but getting quite frustrated now. I've tried 2 different usb sticks, i've tried physdiskwrite, dd for windows, with format in windows, the clean command in diskpart, with resetting (30 seconds on reset button), nothing, the led blinks green when in put my ethernet cable in, but cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 (and i'm in the same subnet)

and yes the router worked with the edgeos, tested that first...

All in all, about 4 hours of usb formatting and i haven't seen even the dd-wrt login screen.. Question

So my question to all of you who got it working, could you please describe in detail how you did it.
- what program (physdiskwriter, dd for windows => these 2 give something else so i'm sure one of these 2 does not work!)
- what usb disk and how do you format it (nfts, fat, fat32) and with which program
- did you have to use the reset button and if so, how did you reset the router?
- which subnet did you put your lan (pc), which subnetmask?
- which port on the router did you use to configure
- can i do a 30/30/30 reset without bricking the router?

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I hope I can get it to work with all your help.

kind regards,

Ben
KcHmon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is what I did, step by step:

1. Using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
2. Download edgerouter-e100-lite.image from this thread to my desktop.
3. Download PhysDiskWrite.exe to my desktop from http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php
4. Insert USB and format FAT32 with default allocation size. Did this by either right clicking on the drive in 'My Computer' or by opening 'Computer Management' and formatting from there.
5. Hold 'Shift' and right-click on desktop. Select 'Open command window here' (Administrator command prompt window opens)
6. Type 'diskpart'
7. Type 'list disk'
8. Type 'select disk #' (where # is the appropriate USB drive)
9. Type 'clean'
10. Type 'exit'
11. Type 'physdiskwrite -u edgerouter-e100-lite.image'
12. Enter the appropriate disk #
13. The numbers count up until it completes successfully.
14. Type 'exit' and unplug USB.
15. Insert USB into router.
16. Plug in a different computer to router port Eth1 and power everything on.
17. Computer is setup for DHCP automatic everything. Type 192.168.1.1 into web browser.
18. Success. DD-WRT asks to setup a new admin account.

Hope this helps
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi mate,

thx for the response.
Following your steps I could really follow the USB write (which i couldn't with dd for windows and the physdiskgui) although i had to repeat the clean steps a couple of times
- first remove all partitions in the diskmanager
- creat primary partition (FAT32, the usual settings)
- then the diskpart part
- and then the write (which sometimes failed early during the copy)

However still no luck when i put in the usb stick, i cannot access the 192.168.1.1 page, not with DHCP on or off and not on eth 1-2 or 3
I also tried resetting 30 seconds (does nothing)
I also power reset (plug out power, press reset and keep holding, put in power, hold reset untill the orange light on eth2 stops flickering), still no dice...

Well i'm guessing i'm running out of options, I still hope anyone can help here (brainslayer, fractal?) because I really do not know anymore what to do now...

Ben
KcHmon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am by no means an expert.

1. Did you update the firmware via the original Ubiquiti USB flash drive? (currently v1.5.0) I forgot to mention this step, but I did that first.

2. If you put the original Ubiquiti USB flash drive back into the router, does it boot up with EdgeOS?

3. Can you use a flash drive for DD-WRT with a blinking LED indicator? Maybe the USB portion of your router is dead? If it blinks, you know at least it's trying to read what's on the drive and the circuit is functional to some extent.
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) yep, updated the firmware before doing anything else, worked perfectly
2) haven't tried that, hopefully it does... Smile will check when i get hoome
3) that's a good remark, I will try this tonight with a small patch cable (with the tight space not evident ofc...)

Damn hope I didn't brick my ubiquiti... Shocked

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ben
blvermeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, the original software on the original usb works perfectly. So by that i figure there is no USB issue at all and it all has to do with formatting the USB disk with the DD-WRT image.

So up untill now i have tried 3 different usb disks, with always the same result:

- the physdiskwrite succeeds in writing all the bytes (no succeed message, only you can see that all bytes were written)

- when i plugin my computer i can see the led blinking on the Eth0 port, but i cannot connect to 192.168.1.1, not with DHCP on or manually on the same subnet...

So what is the issue here? Why did it work for all of you and not for me, what is the difference? Should I buy yet another micro USB disk to check it out, test (dd - physdiskgui, which didn't work at all...?)

Really interested in reading your thoughts on this, and if possible, the entire way you did to get it to work...

kind regards,

Ben
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 8
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: