SOLVED: root password being changed

kev_rm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 13:11    Post subject: SOLVED: root password being changed Reply with quote
I've got a DIR-300 running the 1/24/2013 build and twice, without changing and settings, the root password has been changed. The first time about two weeks ago I used setuserpwd and got everything back, this time, i was getting nvram locked waiting, power cycled, ran setuserpwd again, got same message, rebooted, and now it has been set to an unknown value, (which also invalidates the web admin user as well)..

I can do a 30/30/30 and restore to get back but am wondering why this is happening?

Last edited by kev_rm on Mon Sep 02, 2013 13:14; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kodo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use no backup and change the root password in the GUI.
Arrow Changelog/Bug Tickets
kev_rm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 18:57    Post subject: Ummm... no. Reply with quote
I know what the password is in the web admin. I've tried resetting it there a few times, which is why I was trying setuserpwd command because the web gui was not updating the password for root. I've also tried changing the web user to root as well, and also tried both ssh and telnet.

To be clear, can get in on the web ui with the password that has been set. Cannot get into ssh or telnet with the same password with root username.
kev_rm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Solved... Reply with quote
Solution: I had a startup script from some OPTWARE documentation that had me mounting /etc. mounting /etc without copying the original contents will no allow login via telnet or ssh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: