can I capture my wireless router signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
helpful55
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54    Post subject: can I capture my wireless router signal Reply with quote
Sorry if I’m not posting in the right forum. I can’t seem to find the answer to this partly due to the varying and confusing terminology used elsewhere. I currently have an Actiontec GT704WG modem/wireless router/hub. I like to hard wire and so my 2 desktops are wired to it. They work fine. I have the modems wireless enabled and it also works fine for laptops that I have used with it. I will be in a situation where I will need to move the modem a short distance away and I need to use the wireless signal for my desktops. I would prefer to not use internal adapter cards, but a single access point? to then hard wire the PC’s to. If I buy a Linksys WRT-150N that has DD-WRT firmware will it then be able to operate as a stand alone receiver for my wireless signal so that I can connect Ethernet cables into the Linksys from my PC’s? Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you'll want to set it up following these directions. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
All right, fantastic. I'll do that. Thanks.
helpful55
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
A couple more questions. When I use my laptop up to about 30' away on the Actiontec wireless it will get my full net speed using speedtest. I have been reading about possible speed problems using a router as what is called a client bridge, which I initially asked about. Is is true that my speed will be cut in half? If so that is not going to work for me. And if so would the speed be maintained, assuming acceptable range, if I use wireless PCI cards in my desktops instead? Thanks again.
helpful55
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I was trying to find what I could in the FAQ's, and it talked of what speeds are being used as a factor in this. For me I have a 7Mbps connection which actually gives me about 5 and that is usually acceptable for me. I may potentially go to a service in the future which is more in the 25 (20 or so) range. These numbers may help you to give an answer. Thanks.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you only lose speed if you are repeating the signal. What you have is the same thing as a wireless card.

Navigation

Jump to: