WRT300n V1.1 uncommon (Im assuming) wireless probblems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mpire7102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 21:00    Post subject: WRT300n V1.1 uncommon (Im assuming) wireless probblems Reply with quote
This is my first time posting here so please, don't flame me into oblivion if it doesn't agree with you.

I have used DD-WRT for several years now and NEVER had any problems. Until now.

I bought a WRT300n V1.1 router yesterday with the stock firmware on it. I flashed dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt300nv11.bin to it after first resetting to factory default settings.

The status screen under wireless just said 'error' as the Radio status... so I said 'Hmmm maybe it has to have a fuller version since this is just the starting point'.

I did the 30/30/30 reset. (WRT300Ns have a lousy reset button... Had to put a new button in its place first)

To ensure erasure of NVRAM I telnetted into it and told it 'erase nvram'

Then I flashed Build 12548 Mega to it because it was reccomended by a user on the forum here as being ROCK solid for WRT300N V1.1.

Still no wireless.

When I type into telnet 'wl restart' or 'wl up' I am greeted with the friendly message 'wl driver adapter not found'

I thought 'maybe not supported by DD-WRT'

Tried Gargoyle Router Management

DO NOT FLASH GARGOYLE TO YOUR WRT300N V1.1! IT WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK YOUR ROUTER!

Learned and built jtag

Dumped CFE

erased nvram

erased kernel

TFTPed the stock firmware 'WRT300N-v1.1_1.51.2_fw.bin' back onto it

rebooted

Stock firmware is functioning except it doesnt make the wireless work either.

Put DD-WRT back on it...

Have experimented with several build including generic mini micro and mega.

The wireless WAS working before I started.

Can someone please tell me how to remedy this?

I HAVE read the Peacock thread. Heck I even saved it on my PC so I could reread it as I worked.

Read it thru and thru again.

I have searched the forums for a problem like mine.

I have 30/30/30ed it so many times I have a blister on my thumb (jk)

Nothing works... What am I doing wrong?

(EDIT:)

I tried flashing back to Linksys stock...
Interesting note:
It says I have no wireless MAC address. Not sure if thats the problem or just because it can't access the chip or device. But thought I'd mention it.

NEW INFO:

I reinstalled DD-WRT because if I can't have wireless in either-or I hate stock firmwares. DD-WRT has WAY more options even just for LAN.

But I saw this:
DD-WRT says I do have a wireless MAC. My question is such:

Is it just saying that because its smarter and can do the math to figure out what it should be based on the WAN and LAN MACS?

Even if I have to build my own DD-WRT from source I'd like to get it fixed if someone can point me in the direction of the drivers I would need to embed in it, or just tell me I'm being a dumba## and tell me a way to fix it. I'm an intermediate level hacker (ethical only) and should be able to figure this out but I'm at my wits ends here.

Any help would be appreciated as long as its not someone telling me to find a Peacock or RTFM. I've done both to no avail so far.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
300 V1.1 is prone to hardware failure. I have one in exactly the same state. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about replacing a capacitor, but I suspect that it is a hardware problem.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mpire7102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I'm tempted to agree with you I am still going to muck around with it a few days before I give up.

On an interesting side note which may or may not mean anything at all I noticed two interesting things last night while messing around with it further.

1. Although the wireless status screen says Radio off, where it shows Packet Info it shows a constantly growing number of both sent and recieved packets with 0 errors. Makes no sense.

2. When I tried to assign WAN and LAN to the same VLAN (like I always do on every DD-WRT router I've owned, 5 ports is better then 4) and power cycled the router it would no longer communicate with the computer. Had to do 30/30/30 to get it working again.

Do either of these mean anything to you in conjunction with the rest of the problem?

I have always loved Linksys products until this router. It has been a straight up pain in the arse.
Neutral

(Edit:)
I read the post about replacing the capacitor... I don't think it applies to my situation but am checking all the components on the board just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: