Benefits of DD-WRT!

Gilbert12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18    Post subject: Benefits of DD-WRT! Reply with quote
I flashed DD-WRT on my TP-Link TL-WR940N and bricked the device, but that was my fault cause i didn't download the corresponding package for the hardware version.. Anyways ..

I have a NanoStation M5 and i use it like a bridge to connect to my ISP's AP, it's like 1.5 km or sth like that away from me ..

And i was wondering what are the benefits of DD-WRT on a NanoStation that is working like a bridge .. ?

Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, you can set up the Nano as a repeater, which is a good way to connect many devices to it.

Have fun. Michel

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
SteveJenkins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently bought an NSM5, and was shocked to learn it will run DD-WRT! I'm using mine as an additional access point (hard wired to E4200 running DD-WRT) to blast WiFi into the back yard and out to the dock. AirOS seems great, so I'm not sure what benefit DD-WRT would give me over the stock firmware.

If I were using it as a router? Sure. But an AP? I'm prolly just going to stick with UBNT's stuff, unless anyone has a compelling reason.

My Max-Speed DD-WRT settings | K2.6 vs K3.x Speeds Head to Head | My Overclocking Settings | My blog: SteveJenkins.com | My Job: CheatCodes.com
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
SteveJenkins wrote:
I recently bought an NSM5, and was shocked to learn it will run DD-WRT! I'm using mine as an additional access point (hard wired to E4200 running DD-WRT) to blast WiFi into the back yard and out to the dock. AirOS seems great, so I'm not sure what benefit DD-WRT would give me over the stock firmware.

If I were using it as a router? Sure. But an AP? I'm prolly just going to stick with UBNT's stuff, unless anyone has a compelling reason.

Ubnt for an access point is super for extending the range, I rocket M2's with 16dbi 3 foot sectors in hotspot environments.. Love being dual polarized.

-Fractal
jfreak53
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have this problem. I have an older NanoStation2 Loco that uses an older AirOS. I am torn between upgrading the AirOS to the most recent firmware version or using DD-WRT.

From what I understand it's a one-way street. If I place DD-WRT on it I will never be able to get back AirOS if it's not what I want.

The deal being is I also use it as a bridge only, but the building it's going to is a school of sorts. I need to block Facebook URL and a few IPs. The router at the base doesn't do this, so I wanted to do it at the bridge before it leaves the building. But AirOS doesn't do this feature. DD-WRT does but I don't know if it will work when set as a bridge.

Also I don't want to loose range or features of the current system. Will DD-WRT loose me any features working as a bridge for this device or loose any range?

I've setup DD-WRT on a couple Netgears and of course the change is drastic ha ha. But I've never done it on this kind of hardware yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: