"EA6300V1" (Q87-EA6400) BCM4360

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 22:48    Post subject: Re: Vortex CFE threw In sufficient memory in FLSH segment Reply with quote
trevmlt wrote:
Thanks for the write up butterworth. Ran into a slight issue with step 2 (Modify CFE). I tried to use the Vortex CFE but received a "In sufficient memory in FLSH segment" when trying to save the file with CFEEdit.exe. Is there another way to modify and save the .bin?

Thanks for the comment, trevmlt. It seems like what we've been calling the "chinese CFE" is one or two lines shorter than the Vortex CFE. Both are right up near a hard and fast size limit.

I did a line-by-line comparison of the two; it seems the chinese CFE removes a couple of the 5GHz radio parameters to make space for the UUID line and other parameters not found in the Vortex CFE. It does not seem like these missing parameters are affecting my 5GHz radio performance.

I can update the instructions with a "delete such-and-such line if you get an Insufficient memory error". Does this make sense based on your observations too?

D-Link DIR-825 B1 (DD-WRT r29396)
Sponsor
trevmlt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi butterworth. Yes, I think that makes perfect sense. I have probably removed more than was necessary, but so far no adverse affects...
Zefiro50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28    Post subject: EA6300V1 (EA6400) 2.4Ghz Performance Issue Reply with quote
Hello all.
I was able to get a EA6300V1 (EA6400) from Goodwill for 5 bucks. Thanks to Butterworth and Devianttwo's instructions! I followed their instructions on page 67 and installed the koolshare CFE with my personal MAC, UUID, etc and then firmware r29147. I got the same error with the XVortex CFE so I went with the koolshare CFE.

The temperature of the router is running steady around 70 degrees. No Mods, the router is on it's side at the moment.

The range and speed of the 5Ghz is pretty good. Better than my WNDR3400 running Kong 2200+ however the 2.4Ghz on the EA6400 is absolutely horrible. I am getting at most 27Mbps at about 5 feet and then significantly drops down to 2-3 Mbps at about 15 ft. Frame Burst are active on both advance settings.

Anyone figured out the cause of this found a potential fix? Could it be the koolshare CFE? Everything about this router is great. Samba and DLNA works flawlessly.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Zefiro50 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18; edited 4 times in total
Zefiro50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34    Post subject: Re: Samba Reply with quote
DDWWWRT wrote:
Hey, has anyone been successful in getting samba running on this device.

I am able to mount a usb drive fine, but when I go to NAS tab and try to add a share to drive that I mounted the path does not appear.

The only paths listed are /mnt and /jffs, I should see something like /mnt/sda1

I tried several drives and file systems and have not had any luck.

Any help would be appreciated

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongac (02/04/16)

Hi there,
I thought those path are the correct ones to see. I'm following the guidelines outlined in the URLs listed below. My OPT partition is EXT3 and my jffs partition is EXT2. Everything works fine. Isn't what you're seeing mean you've done it correctly?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Re: EA6300V1 (EA6400) 2.4Ghz Performance Issue Reply with quote
Zefiro50 wrote:
Hello all.
I was able to get a EA6300V1 (EA6400) from Goodwill for 5 bucks.

Excellent!
Quote:
The temperature of the router is running steady around 70 degrees. No Mods, the router is on it's side at the moment.

Great. 70C is exactly where mine is... after my modifications. Your heatsink probably has good contact with your processor.
Quote:
the 2.4Ghz on the EA6400 is absolutely horrible. I am getting at most 27Mbps at about 5 feet and then significantly drops down to 2-3 Mbps at about 15 ft

It's probably not the koolshare CFE - that's what my router has on it and 2.4 GHz speeds are fine (I have other issues, but that's not one of them...). 2.4 GHz range was never great on this router according to the folks at SmallNetBuilder.com, but I don't have any issues one room away from where my router sits.
My completely uneducated guess is that you're experiencing some interference from something. Did you do a scan for best channels to use? What are your basic wl0 settings? Did you select a Wide HT40 channel width?

Good luck, and if all else fails, congratulations on your $5 5 GHz access point!

Zefiro50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:14    Post subject: Re: EA6300V1 (EA6400) 2.4Ghz Performance Issue Reply with quote
butterworth wrote:
My completely uneducated guess is that you're experiencing some interference from something. Did you do a scan for best channels to use? What are your basic wl0 settings? Did you select a Wide HT40 channel width?

I'm only on the 20Mhz channel width for 2.4Ghz and on channel 6. It's the only channel that doesn't have many people using it.

Here is something rather odd that I've noticed. Even though the performance is terrible with majority of my clients like laptops, phones, and wireless adapters on my EA6300V1, my Fire HD 7 is actually doing pretty well. When all my devices are in the single digit download speed around the house, my Amazon tablet is actually maintaining a steady download stream at about 20 Mbps.

This is the opposite with my WNDR3400 where the 2.4Ghz performance on my Amazon tablet appears hindered at 3Mbps even when the tablet is about 5 feet from the router. Every other client is in the double digits.

What could cause such behavior?

Last edited by Zefiro50 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:50; edited 1 time in total
DDWWWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:39    Post subject: Re: Samba Reply with quote
[quote="Zefiro50"][quote="DDWWWRT"]Hey, has anyone been successful in getting samba running on this device.

I am able to mount a usb drive fine, but when I go to NAS tab and try to add a share to drive that I mounted the path does not appear.

The only paths listed are /mnt and /jffs, I should see something like /mnt/sda1

I tried several drives and file systems and have not had any luck.

Any help would be appreciated

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongac (02/04/16)[/quote]

Hi there,
I thought those path are the correct ones to see. I'm following the guidelines outlined in the URLs listed below. My OPT partition is EXT3 and my jffs partition is EXT2. Everything works fine. Isn't what you're seeing mean you've done it correctly?

[url]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way[/url]

[url]http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device[/url][/quote]

Thanks...

I'm not using optware, using the built in Samba service.

Ill try to post screenshots tonight so you can see what I'm seeing. Basically the drive mounts and I can verify this by sshing into it but for some reason the NAS page on ddwrt does not see the mounted drive because it does not allow me to select its path, the path does not appear
mtm405
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is not even a trace of a 5Ghz radio, no settings or tab ...

Malachi wrote:
You are using this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-23-2016-r29147/linksys-ea6400/

Show us your settings for the 5ghz radio.

ddwrtmtm2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.24 KB
 Viewed:  12215 Time(s)

ddwrtmtm2.png

mtm405
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
what could it be ?

ddwartmtm1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.27 KB
 Viewed:  12211 Time(s)

ddwartmtm1.png

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the model number according to the label on the bottom?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
mtm405 wrote:

Wow. Bizarre... The EA6400 is just full of entertainment, eh?

I don't know if this is possible or not, but it seems that there are some parameters in the CFE that help the router firmware know what devices there are (specifically "landevs=vlan1 wl0 wl1"). Maybe something is going wrong there?

You could try re-installing your CFE with new parameters (See the attached text file for what I am using; obviously replace any "xxxx" text with the parameter appropriate for your router).

Again, this is a complete shot in the dark, and I don't know if this is what the issue is. Clearly though, it's something behind the scenes for dd-wrt to not recognize that a 5GHz radio even exists...

Malachi wrote:

Good question - maybe I should leave troubleshooting to the pros who have more experience and know not to make assumptions =)

ea6400CFE_params_bw.txt
 Description:
my CFE parameters, copy into XVortex CFE file and edit all router-specific parameters (mac, uuid, secret code, default ssid, default passphrase)

Download
 Filename:  ea6400CFE_params_bw.txt
 Filesize:  4.16 KB
 Downloaded:  2577 Time(s)

mtm405
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
butterworth wrote:
mtm405 wrote:

Wow. Bizarre... The EA6400 is just full of entertainment, eh?

I don't know if this is possible or not, but it seems that there are some parameters in the CFE that help the router firmware know what devices there are (specifically "landevs=vlan1 wl0 wl1"). Maybe something is going wrong there?

You could try re-installing your CFE with new parameters (See the attached text file for what I am using; obviously replace any "xxxx" text with the parameter appropriate for your router).

Again, this is a complete shot in the dark, and I don't know if this is what the issue is. Clearly though, it's something behind the scenes for dd-wrt to not recognize that a 5GHz radio even exists...

Malachi wrote:

Good question - maybe I should leave troubleshooting to the pros who have more experience and know not to make assumptions =)

edited the CFE and flashed it, is this normal ?

root@DD-WRT:~# mtd unlock /dev/mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0 ...
Could not unlock MTD device: /dev/mtd0
/dev/mtd0: Not supported
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd -f write /tmp/cfe_edited.bin /dev/mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0 ...
Could not unlock MTD device: /dev/mtd0
/dev/mtd0: Not supported
Writing from /tmp/cfe_edited.bin to /dev/mtd0 ... [w]
root@DD-WRT:/tmp#

Connection to host lost.

my router fcc id is q87-ea6400
after flashing and a reset, still no 5ghz band any where to be seen, i even checked the channel scroll down in the 2.5Ghz , nothing ,, any help would be appriciated
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flash back to the numinit small version to write the new cfe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Flash back to the numinit small version to write the new cfe.

i just did , flashed numinit , flashed the edited cfe, flashed back to the latest build, no 5ghz band, on the stock firmware it was working fine, so it's not malfunctioned module
mtm405
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
just flashed merlin, reset factory default , guess what, 5Ghz is working just fine, very odd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 97, 98, 99  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 69 of 99
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: