Netgear WNR2000 v3 Quesiton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Dulani
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12    Post subject: WNR2000 V3 Reply with quote
All,
I after scouring this site for advice and carefully following @James2k's advice for my Netgear WNR2000 V3, I now have a working DD-WRT router (r18777). I'm very happy (had I known I was going want to do this, I would've bought a different router).

That said, can this router host static web pages? I can't seem to find a location where I am allowed to create a file. /jffs appears to be read only. Most posted advice says that read/write can be enabled in the web based administration tab. However, I can't find any reference (or setting) to jffs or jffs2 on any of the router management pages. What gives? Is it something that just can't be done on this router?

-D. Confused
Sponsor
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct. jffs is not available with this router. The flash space is only about 3.5 MB to begin with. For jffs you need a router with at least 8 MB usually.

The alternative would be to use CIFS, but I can't remember if the WNR2000v3 builds have it.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want JFFS, you'd need OpenWRT. The latest trunk supports this router.

Although there is the issue that even if you had JFFS, the flash space is already so tiny. You could try to replace the bootloader with a TP-Link one but that's a bit dangerous.
Nerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe i flashed dd-wrt correctly, got to configuration setup and everything. However, I was not able to connect to the internet. Therefore i figured i must have done something incorrectly and decided to flash back to stock using v1.1.1.58. That seemed to go well, but again there seems to be no internet connect, wired or wireless. Any ideas?

Thank you.

*edit* After using the update feature in it to go to v1.1.1.72, the internet now works. Going back through my steps, I dont think set a static ip when going through the flash. Could this be the cause of the router not connecting to internet?

also, the 30/30/30, this is only supposed to be done once dd-wrt.img is flashed, and does nothing with netgear firmware, correct?
yelloeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just Wanted to thank the contributors to this thread, I bricked my router in the process of flashing DD-WRT before i read the whole thing. Now it's running 18777 and works great!
0x0077EF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same problem described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=174508

However, I flashed build 18777 from the beginning. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?
captivater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
James2k wrote:

Stuff that's useful you know. Because frankly the WNR2000v3 is a bastard child router. Blame Netgear not DD-WRT.

Build 18777 is the latest build able to be flashed for the v3:

BEFORE you do flash anything however. Its important to note that you cannot flash any DD-WRT build that is greater than 18777, this is due to the flash size, any DD-WRT build after this point won't fit, its too big. END OF.

But the router database says 26101?

Simply put the router database is wrong. It has a tendency to recommend builds that are either not suitable or inaccurate, and it certainly doesn't take into account the flash space issue with the WNR2000v3.

What is the flash space issue?

Its common knowledge that Netgear parition a lot of their routers flash space in such a away that actually makes the flash space a bit less than its advertised. In this case the WNR2000v3 is advertised as 4 MB but in fact is roughly 3.5 MB. Any builds after 18777 are great than 3.5 MB and hence don't fit.

My two Netgear WNDR3300s at the house run 21061 broadcom std_generic.

Is there a benefit to using a router-tailored 18777 build vs. a chipset 21061 build?

Also can a discussion be started by longstanding devs and mods for removing incompatible builds from the ftp? Or perhaps hiding builds in a (defunct) folder?
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
captivater wrote:
James2k wrote:

Stuff that's useful you know. Because frankly the WNR2000v3 is a bastard child router. Blame Netgear not DD-WRT.

Build 18777 is the latest build able to be flashed for the v3:

BEFORE you do flash anything however. Its important to note that you cannot flash any DD-WRT build that is greater than 18777, this is due to the flash size, any DD-WRT build after this point won't fit, its too big. END OF.

But the router database says 26101?

Simply put the router database is wrong. It has a tendency to recommend builds that are either not suitable or inaccurate, and it certainly doesn't take into account the flash space issue with the WNR2000v3.

What is the flash space issue?

Its common knowledge that Netgear parition a lot of their routers flash space in such a away that actually makes the flash space a bit less than its advertised. In this case the WNR2000v3 is advertised as 4 MB but in fact is roughly 3.5 MB. Any builds after 18777 are great than 3.5 MB and hence don't fit.

My two Netgear WNDR3300s at the house run 21061 broadcom std_generic.

Is there a benefit to using a router-tailored 18777 build vs. a chipset 21061 build?

Also can a discussion be started by longstanding devs and mods for removing incompatible builds from the ftp? Or perhaps hiding builds in a (defunct) folder?

Netgear WNDR3300s != WNR2000v3

Each router is different.

Not as simple as just "removing" builds, the builds are generated by build scripts, which devs don't want to spend time editing because router "x" doesn't work with build "y" (there would be a lot of edits to do!). The idea is the forum/wiki should inform you of such information.

Though your point is valid. For example, the word that must not be named, "Router Database" has been recommending junk builds for loads of routers for a while, I'd go as far to say it should be removed completely, as its inaccuracies are far too many. It needs constant updating, which it doesn't get. DD-WRT for a long time has always been this process when determining builds for routers:

- Forget the router database
- Check your router on the Wiki
- Look for further information on the forums
- Gather any additional info you might need
- Use either other community feedback or your own formulated knowledge to decide what build you need/must flash
- Flash with knowledge and confidence.

The whole build 18777 with the WNR2000v3 is purely because its flash space cannot take a build bigger than 18777, as all future builds are larger.

In general practice, just because the SVN number is greater than another build doesn't automatically better.[/list]

Main router:

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Previous routers:

RichardLloydUSA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:35    Post subject: Here is a few videos which show you how to do this Reply with quote
Here is the video I made on flashing a Netgear WNR2000 V3 to DD-WRT 18777 http://youtu.be/2hVs_cTIDsI

Bricked Router Recovery Netgear WNR2000V3 (version 3) How I restored my router http://youtu.be/0K8sVuCrPt4

Downgrade Your Router Firmware Version Netgear WNR2000V3 (version 3) http://youtu.be/zG4n0PWopi4
liatoss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:54    Post subject: How to unbrick Netgear WNR2000 v.3 Reply with quote
Hello Guys,

After reading of many posts on this and others forums, I managed to unbrick my Netgear WNR2000 v.3 router.

It was bricked due to installation of the latest dd-wrt firmware, the mage of which is bigger than the flash memory of the device.

Hereby is my guide hot to get it working, feel free to let me know if you have any questions or thoughts: http://www.liatoss.com/blog/it-hardware/netgear-wnr2000-v3-serial-recovery-guide-en.html

I tried to make the guide as informative as possible, feel free to let me know if I need to correct or add something.

----------------------------------------------------
B.r. Vlad,
Liatoss Sarl,
Swiss engineering house
cstring
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 17:01    Post subject: help with wnr2000v3 Reply with quote
Hi guys, following the instructions here I was able to successfully install Brainslayer's DD-WRT. I am on vacation at my in-laws and was having some connectivity issues with their router (wnr2000v3) so I installed hoping that it would fix these issues. However, it hasn't fixed the issues (and some members of the family think that it has made it worse or is the cause of the issues... maybe I was a little too quick to update the firmware). I had been doing a single mtr (traceroute and ping combined) to see where the packet errors are falling and it looked pretty even all along the chain. But then on a whim I started doing multiple mtr's simultaneously and I see about 70% packet loss at the router... so it appears that the connectivity issue is a router problem not a isp problem. I am not sure what steps I can take to resolve this issue, any advice would be appreciated. The router randomly won't connect to a device sometimes and netflix has stopped to buffer regularly when in the past it never did.
To appease the masses I would like to revert the firmware to stock again, but it seems that it isn't as simple as flashing it with the new image. I tried that and it said it failed.
cstring
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 17:03    Post subject: help with wnr2000v3 Reply with quote
Hi guys, following the instructions here I was able to successfully install Brainslayer's DD-WRT. I am on vacation at my in-laws and was having some connectivity issues with their router (wnr2000v3) so I installed hoping that it would fix these issues. However, it hasn't fixed the issues (and some members of the family think that it has made it worse or is the cause of the issues... maybe I was a little too quick to update the firmware). I had been doing a single mtr (traceroute and ping combined) to see where the packet errors are falling and it looked pretty even all along the chain. But then on a whim I started doing multiple mtr's simultaneously and I see about 70% packet loss at the router... so it appears that the connectivity issue is a router problem not a isp problem. I am not sure what steps I can take to resolve this issue, any advice would be appreciated. The router randomly won't connect to a device sometimes and netflix has stopped to buffer regularly when in the past it never did.
To appease the masses I would like to revert the firmware to stock again, but it seems that it isn't as simple as flashing it with the new image. I tried that and it said it failed.
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WNR2000v3 has a fairly accessible recovery mode which will allow you to TFTP the stock firmware.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Netgear_WNR2000_v3.0#Reverting

Main router:

Previous routers:

Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V3
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
As long as you don't mind using TFTP you can run newer .img beyond the 18xxx. Just remember the steps require you reverting over TFTP to the factory netgear and then flashing inside of the netgear gui the initial DD-WRT of whatever revision you wish.

Navigation

Jump to: