Netgear WNR2000 v3 Quesiton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
educmale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, James...

Then, these questions/comments:

1. I noticed that, after loading the 'BIN' file, there didn't appear to be a change in the naming or free space reported by DDWRT (this much I remember, now: 'STD' and about 91% per ddwrt). The former item seemed relevant, the later, probably not picking up on the 200kb or so size change. What distinguishes the STD from others (or more relevant: the BIN from the IMG file?)

2. On loading ddwrt onto another router (a WRT linksys, a few years back) I recall reading that there were various incarnations that cleaved off the more esoteric elements of DDWRT. Is there / are there other variations of DDWRT for the 21061 -- ones that exist for this router?

2a. Is it more than mere simplicity to gin up one ?

3. A suggestion for the other extended post on the wnr2000v3 post that you kindly drafted: can you edit it to suggest/note problems with using FireFox for the update going from the IMG to BIN (ie, updating from DDWRT to DDWRT). I hunted around and found another post mentioning that issue and suggesting using IE.

3a. Anyone know why that happens?
Sponsor
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. The .img file is a specially crafted build in order for the Netgear WNR2000v3 to go from its initial stock firmware to DD-WRT for the first time.

You can't directly jump from the official Netgear firmware to the .bin without flashing the .img first.

2. Simply put no. 18777 is your only available build in terms of the "latest". All other builds after this are larger than the flash space and hence impossible to fit.

2a. Support for the WNR2000v3 is limited.

3. Its generally a recommendation overall that you use IE to flash firmware with DD-WRT as its a tried and tested method. This however is not a requirement but a recommendation. I have personally flashed routers with Firefox and Google Chrome and had 0 problems. For example people on Mac OSX won't have IE and use other browsers like Safari.

With this in mind if you do the following, you'll be fine:

1. Clear your browsers cache before the flashing and then after each subsequent flash process
2. Disable any firewalls
3. Only have one machine connected to your router via one of its LAN ports during the firmware flashing process. Everything else not part of the process should be unplugged (i.e. WAN)

3a. Generally the "cache" issue is a reason why people experience problems like white screen after flashing etc. Follow the stuff above you'll be fine.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
dan_linder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 19:52    Post subject: My $0.02 worth Reply with quote
I'm setting up a discarded WNR2000v3 and found out too late that I needed the 18777 release. After bricking it I found this thread and the related tftp/serial un-brick method. With a bit of adjustment I found some minor adjustments that helped me.

I didn't have a TTL to Serial adapter, but I was able to use my Arduino as one following the steps here:
http://www.zoobab.com/use-the-arduino-as-a-serial-adaptor
This makes a serial port in /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case) on my Linux workstation. I used "minicom" from the command line of my Linux box like this:
Code:
    minicom --device /dev/ttyUSB0 -8 -b 115200 --noinit

In my case, I didn't connect the 3.3V between the Arduino and WNR2000, plus I had to swap the TX and RX connections, but that worked well.

To get the bricked WNR2000v3 up to TFTP it, I did the following:
    * Setup your workstation so it has a static IP address (192.168.1.10), then open a terminal and start pinging 192.168.1.1.
    * Hold down the "factory reset" button while powering the WNR2000v3 off and back on. CONTINUE to hold the button until the ping in the previous command starts getting a response. After the ping responses, release the reset button.
    * The console with minicom should start showing a lot of text flowing by. Press return a number of times to alert the WNR2000v3 to stop booting and drop to it's recovery command line shell.
    * When I _FIRST_ re-flashed it, the recovery shell complained that the signature didn't match. I then found these commands to run:

Code:
    board_hw_id_set 29763551+04+32
    board_model_id_set wnr2000v3

..but the hardware ID was still incorrect and should be "blank". On a whim I tried these commands:
Code:
    board_hw_id_set ""
    board_model_id_set wnr2000v3

..the board_hw_id_set has a pair of quotation marks (") after it - effectively blank.
    * After that I ran "bootm" and the system asked for the TFTP image.

I downloaded the 18777 code from this page:
http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F
In this path on the site:
Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 2012 › 03-19-12-r18777 › netgear-wnr2000v3
I then ran tftp from the command line like this:
Code:
    tftp 192.168.1.1
    tftp> bin
    tftp> trace
    Packet tracing on.
    tftp> put wnr2000v3-factory_NA.img

The tftp output window showed transmits, and the minicom window showed the system was receiving it and THIS time the flash was accepted and installed.

I hope these notes help someone (or myself) in the future!
vonloschz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
b) Refused to even start the upgrade process.

WNR2000v3 at Firmware Version V1.1.2.6 have this patch.
vonloschz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, thanks for this thread.
Now my little adventure =)

I bought a WNR2000v3 with fw version at 1.1.2.2 and I upgraded it with the build in upgrade utility to the last one at v1.1.2.6.

Then, I tested a upgrade to DD-WRT with wnr2000v3-factory_NA.img and the web interface gave me a error on the fw.
To solve that, I downloaded original fw from http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/ and I have downgraded it to my original fw with success.

From there, I was able to upgrade to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std (SVN revision 18777).
I only followed all instructions from the first post.
vonloschz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Communication between LAN ports doesn't work.
It's normal ?
bacon612
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
vonloschz wrote:
Communication between LAN ports doesn't work.
It's normal ?

Yes. I have this issue. Seems that communication between port 1 and 2 is OK but 3 and 4 wont play nicely with 1 and 2. This is ok for me as I use an 8 port gigabit switch with this router anyways.

I am crushed that the original thread for the WNR2000 V3 is gone. There really was a lot of good info in there.

Side note, can anyone out there please tell me what command to put in the firewall to help with NAT issues. I cleared it and need it again. It is preventing me from RDPing to some local machines.
vonloschz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
in my case, each LAN port are isolated.
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so I tried to flash DD-WRT onto my v3 with the method described above.

After doing the first file (my factory firmware was v1.1.58 so it didn't need to change), I tried to do the .bin.

The first time after a few seconds the page went to "The Connection was Reset" page. 30/30/30 then a powercycle later I tried again. I looked away and when I came back (seems like less than 300 seconds), it was on one of the DD-WRT main pages (NOT the password page).

Anyway, I checked it out and under Wireless there is no option for "Repeater." Considering this was the whole purpose for the router, I figured I should flash the original firmware back onto it and return it. (I'm guessing repeater isn't an option because of lack of development demand for the router).

Anyway, whenever I try to flash any other firmware onto it via the DD-WRT page I get either "Upgrade Failed" message almost immediately or a "Connection was Reset" message.

If I 30/30/30 it and leave it in recovery mode I can use TFTP to put the stock firmware on it... or so I think. I've tried it twice now and despite it reporting a successful completion, 192.168.1.1 leads back to the DD-WRT page.

WTF :/

EDIT: Here's what the TFTP stuff looks like

Code:

C:\ddwrt>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT wnr2000v3-V1.0.1.26.img

WinAgents TFTP Client version 2.0b Copyright (c) 2004-2011 by Tandem Systems, Ltd.
http://www.winagents.com - Software for network administrators

Transfering file wnr2000v3-V1.0.1.26.img to server in octet mode...
Transferring data from 192.168.1.1...
File wnr2000v3-V1.0.1.26.img was transferred successfully.
3211461 bytes transferred for 3 seconds, 0 bytes/second

Note that after doing that I still have the DD-WRT login interface instead of the Netgear firmware interface.

Last edited by Andrelommech on Tue May 28, 2013 22:39; edited 1 time in total
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, assuming I need to get a new router, can anyone recommend me a cheap router that will work well with DD-WRT for a repeater? I tried a Linksys E1200v2 but despite working as a repeater for the LAN ports, it wouldn't project a functional wireless network.
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Atheros is different, there isn't a Repeater drop down menu option, it differs from Broadcom, you have to be creative and use VAP's.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Andrelommech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any ideas on why I can't flash anything to the router?
USAFGamer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey I have the wnr2000v3 and I got the first firmware version and downloaded and flashed the first file the NA file and now the router cuts on and the Internet light and lights for all connected comp. flash and about 15 to 30 sec later it resets and does it all over again and it will just cycle through this process over and over again. I have turned it off and let sit and it still does the same thing and no connected computers can connect to the router, any ideas or do I need to just get a new router?[/list]
schmake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
USAFGamer wrote:
Hey I have the wnr2000v3 and I got the first firmware version and downloaded and flashed the first file the NA file and now the router cuts on and the Internet light and lights for all connected comp. flash and about 15 to 30 sec later it resets and does it all over again and it will just cycle through this process over and over again. I have turned it off and let sit and it still does the same thing and no connected computers can connect to the router, any ideas or do I need to just get a new router?[/list]

I have exactly the same issue here. The issue is that you need to use r18777 released 3-19-12
http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F

You will be able to reflash a netgear firmware by holding in the reset button until the power light changes from flashing amber to flashing green and using tftp.
ladra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue as Andrelommech when trying to revert back to Netgear firmware. tftp shows success but when you reboot the router it will boot into ddwrt and not Netgear firmware...

Can anyone who has personal experience please explain how you managed to tftp the Netgear firmware back on to the wnr2000 v3? Maybe it's about timing? like when to let go of the reset button, before, during, or after the tftp has completed?

Or, is there something that needs to be done after the tftp completes? Also, tftp seems to complete awfully fast, 2-3 seconds, not sure if that's normal. Or maybe the tftp program, I'm using tftp2.exe from one of the other posts to use on bricked routers...

Thank you in advance for anyone who can shine some light on this matter.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: