latest upgrade??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
golmert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:48    Post subject: latest upgrade?? Reply with quote
I see a lot of talk about 18084 and new versions, but when I went to this link ( http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2011%2F06-14-11-r17201%2Fbroadcom_K26%2F ) I only saw 17201 (dd-wrt.v24-17201_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin).

I flashed my E3200 router accordingly.

Is that the file I want? Where would I find this newer firmware and more importantly, directions on flashing and optimizing the setup of it?
what do I have to do now??
Sponsor
basmaf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read the wiki you know where to find the files.
golmert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Basmaf.

I am sure that you will agree with me that reading the Wiki gets one more confused. Each paragraph points to a different location and one contradicts each other...

Is there any simple table that shows which base version and which upgrade version relates to a specific router? In my specific case other than reading any possible article in the Wiki and reading the forums, I still don't understand which version I should be upgrading the E3200 to after flashing the base trail version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
basmaf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I don't agree.

The wiki for the E3200 is really short and provides all info needed.
There is no contradiction. (trailed > nv60k)
Link to the dd-wrt file server is provided where all the builds can be found.
The version you wan't/need depends on your setup.

There is no and shouldn't be an optimizing guide in a device wiki.
Every situation is different.

If you wan't to know the differences between builds:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#K2.6_Build_Features
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
golmert wrote:
Thank you Basmaf.

I am sure that you will agree with me that reading the Wiki gets one more confused. Each paragraph points to a different location and one contradicts each other...

For clarification, which part of the wiki contradicts each other?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
golmert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Wiki documentation is cumbersome and confusing. Just as an example in the "Install" first paragraph it is recommended to use the router database. In that same document, few lines ahead it is recommended to read the Peacock thread that states , quote" DON'T USE THE ROUTER DATABASE!".

Confusing isn't it not?

In any way I am not here to judge the tremendous work that was done on this Wiki, all I need is to get answers which from the blend of all the poured information it is almost impossible.

In my specific case all I need to know is which upgrade version I need to install after flashing the trail firmware (which at least in some parts of the Wiki the 06-14-11-r17201 is the recommended one, although I understand that there are newer ones mentioned in different places of theses forums)

Thanks!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
golmert wrote:
The Wiki documentation is cumbersome and confusing. Just as an example in the "Install" first paragraph it is recommended to use the router database. In that same document, few lines ahead it is recommended to read the Peacock thread that states , quote" DON'T USE THE ROUTER DATABASE!".

Confusing isn't it not?

In any way I am not here to judge the tremendous work that was done on this Wiki, all I need is to get answers which from the blend of all the poured information it is almost impossible.

In my specific case all I need to know is which upgrade version I need to install after flashing the trail firmware (which at least in some parts of the Wiki the 06-14-11-r17201 is the recommended one, although I understand that there are newer ones mentioned in different places of theses forums)

Thanks!

I don't see one line reference in the wiki install section to use the database, the first step in the install says read the peacock, and nothing else after that says use the database. So no, not confusing and certainly not cumbersome. I was wanting to know as to make an edit to make it not confusing, but i see thats not the problem here..

This appears to be more of an error on your part of simply understanding info, thats not something anyone but yourself can help you with.. and all of what you need to know is already answered in there, read it SLOWLY and understand it, and especially that wiki, you can't get much more bare bones than that without simply having nothing in it at all..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
irosaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys,

don't be to hard on golmert, I can understand him, it is hard to get all the really important stuff and don't get confused sometimes... had my probs in the beginning as well Wink

@golmert: use the router database to see which build is to use for the initial flash. after that it's up to you which version to choose. Basmaf already provided a link to compare all different versions.

If you are not experienced with unexpected problems or even bricking your device, you should use the recommended build provided in the database.

If you wan't to flash a newer build, for example Brainslayers builds, they can be found here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

You'll need a broadcom_K26 build, but be sure to flash the right one Wink

Cheers iro

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
irosaurus wrote:
guys,

don't be to hard on golmert, I can understand him, it is hard to get all the really important stuff and don't get confused sometimes... had my probs in the beginning as well Wink

@golmert: use the router database to see which build is to use for the initial flash. after that it's up to you which version to choose. Basmaf already provided a link to compare all different versions.

If you are not experienced with unexpected problems or even bricking your device, you should use the recommended build provided in the database.

If you wan't to flash a newer build, for example Brainslayers builds, they can be found here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

You'll need a broadcom_K26 build, but be sure to flash the right one Wink

Cheers iro

Now you may be confusing him. The stickies and the announcements at the top of this forum say not to trust the router database. You just told him to use the router database.
I tend to trust buddee, basmaf and murkff. They help a lot of people on here and now what they are talking about.
The wiki for the e3200 explains it all.
irosaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
as far as I know, the firmware provided in the router database always works. it's the first stop to look if your router is supported and in most of the cases, it also tells you what initial build to flash. none of the mentioned threads does this Wink

The Peacock Thread is a FAQ HOW to flash a firmware correctly and should of cause be read as well.

Cheers iro

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is where you go to see if your router is supported, along with the first build for supported router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Also there is an instance where a firmware recommended in the router database for initial flash is causing routers to brick. It might have been removed now at the request of the moderators.

Edit fir spelling.

Last edited by Malachi on Sat Mar 23, 2013 22:44; edited 1 time in total
irosaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
This is where you go to see if your router is supported, along with the first build for supported router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

You're right, in this case the link to the wiki page and the install instructions are missing on the router db... haven't seen this before, all routers I worked with (e.g. E2000,E3000,E4200..) have a link provided Rolling Eyes

but now golmert should have enough infos to work with Wink

Cheers iro

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
irosaurus wrote:
guys,

Not trying to be hard on anyone, but being that i was the primary one that wrote most of the E-Series wikis, and then having someone say something is in there that i never remember putting in there, and especially confusing and cumbersome? Kinda makes you have to question whats going on here.. but as i said, i see whats going on and it had nothing to do with the info in the wiki...

irosaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

Not trying to be hard on anyone, but being that i was the primary one that wrote most of the E-Series wikis, and then having someone say something is in there that i never remember putting in there, and especially confusing and cumbersome? Kinda makes you have to question whats going on here.. but as i said, i see whats going on and it had nothing to do with the info in the wiki...

The info in the wiki provided is perfectly fine, you did a great job Wink I guess he rather meant that it's cumbersome to orient oneself in the beginning with all the info provided at different locations, e.g. forum, wiki, router db. and that can be really frustrating if you don't know where to start properly...

Cheers iro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: