Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 16:51 Post subject: New F*nera flashing software - FONFLASHER 1.0b!!
I have released a software called FONFLASHER which allows you to easily flash any custom firmware using a nice GUI. It will do almost all the work for you
The software is an improvement to the "freifunk Easyflash" software. I have rewritten about 50% of the code, the GUI is more intuitive, many bugs were solved and so many things more!
It allows you to flash DD-WRT (with Nvram partition auto-creation), Open WRT... and if you don't provide any flash files, it automatically flashes original FON(r) software with Freifunk addons (it has all of the original features plus some extras).
Yes, you have to patch redboot using the hex files etc to allow the access to redboot via ethernet. if you have ever flashed the fonera's firmware, you have done it before so you don't need to do it again. The WinPCap libraries are necessary to make the connection to the fonera using standard TCP/IP protocol instead of telnet.
The major diferences between Freifunk Easyflash (which already is another copy of AP51-Flasher) are:
- GUI is offered in Spanish also, (we are looking for a german translator).
- GUI is modified to improve accesibility.
- About 80% of the bugs that the latest freifunk software has are solved
- Certified compatibility with Windows Vista and Linux (using Wine). Freifunk has lots of bugs with Wine and runs under Windows Vista compatibility layer in most of cases.
- A little bit tunned packet injector to improve sightly flashing speed.
- Allows flashing of the latest linux kernel (different memory allocations needed).
- More depurated code, and Freifunk software is compressed using standard "tar.gz" compression. (But filesice has to remain the same due to limitationsof the "flasher")
- Many more small tweaks
IMPORTANT: fixes bug that creates bad NVRAM partitions in some foneras.
has a built-in "anti-briker" system that tries to reflash Freifunk firmware in
case of the standard flashing procedure fails.
I think that itcould be interesting. Initially the only purpose of this software was an Spanish translation of freifunk Software.
Freifunk software was released under Copyleft "license". This one is released under a Creative Commons (cc) license.
If you find a bug or want to add a feature, please email me to javimaker[at]gmail[dot]com and leave a comment over here. Thanks everyone for your interest!!
All the people that have tried it by now (over 20 people, me included) have had successful results
That doesn't mean that the software works in 100% of the cases, but you can give it a try
In the Spanish forum "fonera.info" you can have a look to "testimonials" of people that have successfully flashed their foneras using this software... i used to do all the boring procedure of opening a Putty prompt, introducin all the flashing commands.... etc etc... but now with freifunk and my own software, it's a lot easier xD
Have a nice day ^^
PS: Please, excuse me if my English is not perfect, i am Spanish
How do one "patch" the redboot?
I mean, if the fonera is flashed once, there is no need for this softweare when new firmware versions can be easely deoplyed through the web interface. Whats the point if you cannot use this software directly without fuzz with a new, fresh fonera?
Well, well, what and how do i have to prepare redboot in a nerw fonera?