Problem reverting to factory buffalo image WZR-600DHP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Johnas89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:18    Post subject: Problem reverting to factory buffalo image WZR-600DHP Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have tried reverting to the factory supplied build for my WZR-600DHP using the tftp strategy supplied on the WZR-HP-AG300nh wiki page, including down to the switch, with no avail. when I did a google search on tips, i stumbled across a few sites that had mentioned that the C0B1 revision of the router could potentially have problems with the tftp process.

I'm trying to revert for troubleshooting purposes, because I need to figure out why two of my dual band adapters (both are RALink based, I believe) are not able to see the 5ghz network, yet my centrino card in my laptop can.

I only recently put the community builds on this router, and that's when I noticed the 5ghz dropout. I currently have build 20675 installed on the router.

Thanks!
Johnathan

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting that you'd mention this...I just started playing with the 5GHz radio...and I've noticed random drop outs as well. I've been trying to figure out why but can't pin point it yet. I changed from channel 104 down to 36 and things improved...but I still occasionally will get dumped. I thought it was my setup (and still might be) but now I'm wondering if its the FW.

Have you played with the Antenna Chains? Maybe it has something to do with both radios being on the same 1+2 chain. I need to dig into Antenna chains...its new to me now that I've switched to Atheros.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

Have you played with the Antenna Chains? Maybe it has something to do with both radios being on the same 1+2 chain. I need to dig into Antenna chains...its new to me now that I've switched to Atheros.

redhawk

@ redhawk0: Antenna chains in Atheros work in conjunction with how many antennas and MIMO arrangement the unit in question has. Being that the wzr-hp-ag300h is a 2x2 MIMO and only has 2 antenna per radio - its optimal setting in dd-wrt would then be 1+2 | 1+2

@ the OP: As far as the issue with not being able to TFTP, are you sure you are following the guide to the letter? I've already had a couple of people inform in the buffalo forum that the TFTP guide for the AG300H works for them, so not sure what to tell you there, i don't have a wzr-600dhp to confirm if it for sure works, so i'm only able to go by what others are reporting.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Johnas89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Buddee,

i have followed it to the letter, and I tried with a win 7 machine (as my primaries are now win Cool to double check. after netsh-ing and arp-ing the 02-aa-bb-cc-dd-20 MAC, i do notice more activity, but tftp always times out. should I be arp-ing a different MAC?

@redhawk:
for now i've changed both radios for full (20Mhz) and auto channel selection, and i have not witnessed a dropout in the last 18 hours, and the two clients that did not want to see the network can now see and connect to it. I'll play around and see when the connection breaks.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnas89 wrote:
Hi Buddee,

i have followed it to the letter, and I tried with a win 7 machine (as my primaries are now win Cool to double check. after netsh-ing and arp-ing the 02-aa-bb-cc-dd-20 MAC, i do notice more activity, but tftp always times out. should I be arp-ing a different MAC?

So you don't happen to have a WinXP machine around you could try with? I can't confirm Win7 success, matter of fact its been reported to me with mixed results (2 people say they did on win7, 2 people say they didn't)

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Johnas89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
unfortunately i don't have a physical XP machine here, and i doubt a virtual machine would work unfortunately.

the thing I find peculiar about this is my WZR-HP-G300NH responds perfectly fine with a win 7 (and Cool machine, the only caveat being that you have to use netsh instead or arp, and you have to use the actual units MAC instead of the 02-aa-bb-cc-dd-19.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnas89 wrote:
unfortunately i don't have a physical XP machine here, and i doubt a virtual machine would work unfortunately.

the thing I find peculiar about this is my WZR-HP-G300NH responds perfectly fine with a win 7 (and Cool machine, the only caveat being that you have to use netsh instead or arp, and you have to use the actual units MAC instead of the 02-aa-bb-cc-dd-19.

You can use the actual unit's MAC instead of the generic one, i have done it before and it worked just fine, but i do happen to keep an XP machine around just to do router work with, so thats what i fashioned the guide after. I have read there are othe methods involving live linux distros, though i personally haven't tried them - not even on my non-live linuxmint box. I would say do same method you would use in Win 7 on the wzr-600dhp that you use on the G300NH - minus of course the MAC and firmware image, atleast is shouldn't hurt to try it.

dA_RoB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me it worked on Win7. You really need a correct version of the FW!

Look at this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168206&start=15
Johnas89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey all, I finally have some time to figure this out, but I am still unable to revert to stock. I've tried with a switch in between the router and the PC, and with attempting to use Ubuntu instead of windows 7\8, but still no luck. I have a spare hard drive that I'm going to attempt installing xp on later this week, but does anyone know why using windows 7 doesn't show the same behavior for this router as it does with my wzr-hp-g300nh? The ubootenv shows the timeout of 4 seconds, but I never see the ping response on that IP during the boot phase.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just reverted mine things to check are.

use the debricking instructions here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H

1. make sure its plugged into lan port not wan using a switch.

2. use the genric mac address thats what the special boot loader uses.

3. dont wait the 10 seconds just plug it in then hit enter to send command.

4. make sure you are using the 11.2 static and going to 11.1 ip this is what the router is hard coded to on bootup.

this was the only way I could get it to work using the firmware from the buffalo site.
Dont use the user friendly firmware from buffalo site something is wrong with the download just use the buffalo branded dd-wrt.
Rango
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Interesting that you'd mention this...I just started playing with the 5GHz radio...and I've noticed random drop outs as well. I've been trying to figure out why but can't pin point it yet. I changed from channel 104 down to 36 and things improved...but I still occasionally will get dumped. I thought it was my setup (and still might be) but now I'm wondering if its the FW.

redhawk

FWIW: I noticed (with inSSIDer) that the 5GHz router Tx signal would frequently completely disappear for several seconds, when my WZR-600DHP was using "Turbo (40MHz)" and "WPA Personal Mixed" (WPA+WPA2) with "TKIP+AES". This caused clients' severe dropouts, even within good signal range.

When I changed it to WPA2 with AES only (no WPA / TKIP), the signal stayed present, and stability improved substantially. However, using 40MHz, clients' would still occasionally experience streaming dropouts at the farthest reach of range.

After changing to "Full" 20MHz, no more dropouts, even at farthest extent of range (weak signal).

I have read that channel bonding (40MHz) is problematic in general at extended range (weak signal), especially for 5GHz which suffers more attenuation with distance and obstructions (walls/floors), and this might be the reason for 40MHz instability of 5GHz with this router: This WZR-600DHP has relatively low Tx power from what I can tell: The DD-WRT Status>Wireless page indicates 18dBm for 2.4GHz but only 15dBm for 5GHz for most lower 5GHz channels, although I was able to get 5GHz bumped up to 17dBm (indicated) by setting 5GHz channel to 153 (5765 MHz). (Not sure the higher Tx power really helps at higher frequency, because higher f also suffers worse attenuation than lower f, which is probably the reason the CRDA allows the higher power at the higher f. inSSIDer results appear mixed at outer range for higher frequency/power 5GHz.) Check the DD-WRT "EEPROM country->regdmn map" and "Calling CRDA for country" output in DMESG to see where I found the info on higher Tx power at higher ath1/5GHz channels.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rango wrote:

FWIW: I noticed (with inSSIDer) that the 5GHz router Tx signal would frequently completely disappear for several seconds, when my WZR-600DHP was using "Turbo (40MHz)" and "WPA Personal Mixed" (WPA+WPA2) with "TKIP+AES". This caused clients' severe dropouts, even within good signal range.

When I changed it to WPA2 with AES only (no WPA / TKIP), the signal stayed present, and stability improved substantially. However, using 40MHz, clients' would still occasionally experience streaming dropouts at the farthest reach of range.

After changing to "Full" 20MHz, no more dropouts, even at farthest extent of range (weak signal).

I have read that channel bonding (40MHz) is problematic in general at extended range (weak signal), especially for 5GHz which suffers more attenuation with distance and obstructions (walls/floors), and this might be the reason for 40MHz instability of 5GHz with this router: This WZR-600DHP has relatively low Tx power from what I can tell: The DD-WRT Status>Wireless page indicates 18dBm for 2.4GHz but only 15dBm for 5GHz for most lower 5GHz channels, although I was able to get 5GHz bumped up to 17dBm (indicated) by setting 5GHz channel to 153 (5765 MHz). (Not sure the higher Tx power really helps at higher frequency, because higher f also suffers worse attenuation than lower f, which is probably the reason the CRDA allows the higher power at the higher f. inSSIDer results appear mixed at outer range for higher frequency/power 5GHz.) Check the DD-WRT "EEPROM country->regdmn map" and "Calling CRDA for country" output in DMESG to see where I found the info on higher Tx power at higher ath1/5GHz channels.

I wouldn't expect any different, you must use WPA2 with AES only for N standards, anything else either doesn't work reliably, or reduces you to G WL networking.

Also, which build did you say you were using here? Tidbits like this can be somewhat important..

Rango
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Rango wrote:

I wouldn't expect any different, you must use WPA2 with AES only for N standards, anything else either doesn't work reliably, or reduces you to G WL networking.

Also, which build did you say you were using here? Tidbits like this can be somewhat important..

"DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std
(SVN revision 21061)" according to status screen.

On the WPA2/AES: The default config of this DD-WRT build was AES+TKIP. Normally I leave things at default unless they cause problems...which this one did. Smile
Johnas89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
@losttech: which OS did you use to tftp the buffalo fw from?

EDIT:
Which hardware revision do you have? is it the same as the version I posted?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used an old WinXP box I had laying around.
Hardware version I am not sure where that is listed at. All I see is its a WZR-600DHP.

Those timeout issues was the exact same thing I was getting until I just ignored the waiting 10 second part after plugging in and just plugged in then hit enter to send command.

Took me a few days to get the sequence right but doing it the way I listed above was the only way I could get it to work.

Must be in LAN port must use switch must use generic mac and 11.1 ip with static 11.2 ip on computer.

I went nuts trying to get it to work but thats what did it for me.

Wish you luck anyother questions I will try to answer but I am a newb at this just happened to have the same issue as you.

DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/04/12)
(SVN revision 20180)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: