a bit scared :) (newbie) questions about Asus RT N-16/VPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
phillyman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:54    Post subject: a bit scared :) (newbie) questions about Asus RT N-16/VPN Reply with quote
Hi all,

Looking at some of the forum post titles , I might have bitten off more than I can handle but we will see in the coming days.

The main reason for me to try dd wrt is that I would like to encrypt all my internet traffic through a VPN server that I have access to. I get tired of reconnecting the computers, iDevices etc. when they go to sleep.

As for setting the whole thing up I will use this write up:

http://vpnfreedom.com/vpn-router/how-to-connect-an-asus-rt-n-16-router-to-hide-my-ass-vpn/

I don't have hide my a** VPN but know the necessary credentials. My question is what happens if my internet connection keeps working but the VPN server goes down? Will my devices just not be able to connect (this is what I would like, so that I know something is wrong) OR will it default back to my standard dsl connection as it now happens with the "software' VPN.

If it would revert to the default connection. How would I know that I was not connected through the VPN other than running an IP check?

Also any pitfalls I should be aware of in setting this router up with a mac? I've been using macs for twenty plus years and can troubleshoot these without help. I know what terminal, console etc. is but do NOT code myself so other than copy/paste I keep my hands away from them.

Thanks,

Philly

At he mods: I think this is where to post since I figured out my chipset BUT usually would have posted under general. If I'm at the wrong place, sorry and feel free to move it.

---------------------
EDiT: Clarified my VPN disconnect question
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only know a very little about this, but will give you what I believe to be accurate. If I am wrong I expect someone will correct me

1. if your vpn server goes down you will have internet but not through the tunnel.

2. there might be other ways to check the status of the vpn connection, but checking your IP is a simple way that works. When you put question 1 and this one together, it means you might not easily tell that you are not using your tunnel.

3. there are no problems with a Mac.

4. this is the correct forum.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
phillyman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 14:38    Post subject: Thanks and... Reply with quote
HI Murrkf,

Thanks for the friendly reply.

This is a bit unfortunate and I'll test this and report back once amazon has delivered my asus.

How do you all check VPN status? Just wait until you get an error message or if need be just do an IP check?

It seems naive to assume one has VPN all the time and cumbersome to run a frequent check. If this is the default setting, can one change a setting on the router to make the connection "fail" if VPN is offline?

Thanks,
Philly
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
My knowledge of VPNs are marginal at best. Someone else will have to answer this and may correct the info I provided.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: